What's new

Universal Monsters; 75th Anniversary releases, Karloff and Chaney Collections? (1 Viewer)

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator

Jack, while I agree with leaving grain in instead of ruining the picture to get rid of it, I have to disagree on the hiss. I bought the first 3 Legacy Collection sets (Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man) and the only movie I had any issue with was the sound in Dracula. It was to the point that I could not enjoy the movie, because all I could hear was hiss. While I will contend it is purely subjective and a matter of personal preference, when I can't enjoy the movie I purchased because the sound is too hiss-y, then I would hope that it would be corrected in subsequent releases.

The fact that the Spanish track sounds SO much better makes me wonder if Universal could have fixed this had they wanted to, or if that was just the best they could do without destroying the soundtrack completely. If the answer is the latter, then that is a true shame as Dracula is one of my all-time favorite movies, but I can't bear to watch it on DVD with the soundtrack as it stands. I will give it another try this Halloween. Maybe I lost enough tone in my ears these past few years that this will become listenable.

Dan M

Second Unit
any reviews on the new Frankenstein transfer? I'm on the fence about re-purchasing this.....

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Are they better transfers? What are the extras like? I have both previous releases for Frankenstein and Dracula (Karloff and Lugosi's in case there's confusion)

Just wonder if anyone has both versions and can give an opinion of it's worth another purchase

Dan M

Second Unit
The new Dracula is a definite improvement over the older release. Much brighter and better details. The new documentaries make it a worthwhile re-purchase.....Still havent heard anything about any improvements on Frankenstein though

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Frankenstein looks terrific. Hardly a scratch or a blemish, and less "muddy" than Dracula. (Don't let that scare you off of Dracula, it's merely a comparison b/w the two.) The sound is clear, and less hissy than Dr. as well.

I have the other editions of Frankenstein but don't have the time now to compare them, but I don't recall it looking THIS good on the other two DVDs. It really looks great (IMHO).

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I spot checked the new FRANKENSTEIN DVD the other night,and I have to say that it looks better than ever. I hope Universal releases BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and some of their other gems in remastered packages like this.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

I hope so, expecially if it receives the same Legacy Series treatment the other three have so far. Each one is a vast improvement, transfer wise.

Haven't heard anything official yet, but I think it's a safe bet that it'll happen.

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator
It's more likely that THE WOLF MAN will be the next to get the deluxe treatment. Universal would want to tie it to the new remake, just like the new edition of the '31 MUMMY is tied to the new MUMMY sequel. I wonder if they'll do a BRIDE special edition if there isn't a remake associated with it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Hey, I'll happily take a Wolf Man Legacy Series edition, too!:) And I'm sure BOF will get it as well. There were no tie ins to the first 2 realeases (Dracula and Frankenstein), or the 3 upcoming Hitchcock Legacies.

I'd heard that Universal had actually prepared The Mummy as a 75th Anniversary Edition, but held it's release a year to coincide with the new film. It probably would have come out last year had there been no tie-in film in the works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks