What's new

Universal Monsters; 75th Anniversary releases, Karloff and Chaney Collections? (1 Viewer)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
If you really want to be pedantic, Universal won't be tinting DRACULA green, as originally seen in 1931. You can, of course, remedy this by holding up a green filter in front of your eyes throughout the film.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I have to say that I absolutely love the artwork.

That said, I'm still waiting for details before I'll double-dip.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I thought Frankenstein was the one that was tinted green, and only on a few prints because Universal found that while it made the monster look good, it made everyone else look horrible!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I hope this question doesn't annoy anyone, but I have to ask...

Any word on whether these will also be released on HD DVD? :)

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I haven't picked up any of the monster titles yet but I guess I should just pick up the Monster Legacy sets then cuz they have all the movies on it, right?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
IIRC Frankenstein and Dracula were on a HD DVD list of things in the works released (leaked?) long ago but no firm dates were provided. It wouldn't be out of the question since Universal does like to milk these films. Frankenstein could look pretty good, I'd think, but since there are no good source materials for Dracula I'm not sure what the point is.

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
If the Legacy Edition of The Dearhunter is any indication, I will be passing on these sets. Although the 1st disc with the film is very good, the second disc with the "extras" are a joke.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I keep picking up the Legacy Sets at the store and always end up putting them back. Guess they'll stay that way for a while more...

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
if Universal wanted to really do this right, this years legacy series releases would be day to day HD releases of the same, want to sell me theses again for the 3 time do it that way, a full restoration on both, with all the original extras , plus what they have for the new releases, everyone keeps asking about the HD release anyhow, and none of the studios have really done a true catalog title that way yet, want to see if the new medium will take off , somone needs to start it.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

these two were on the list on the MS site (the same list that also had all of the recently announced Universal August and Sept titles, as well as Sin City 2...so take that how you will.

OOps- didn't see that mark had already answered. Yeah, in the case of Dracula I'm not sure I understand the point either.

I agree the covers are nice. I like 'em better than the legacy collections, but those were a bountiful steal considering the price.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Specs updated and menus added at DVD Times:

Frankenstein (75th Anniversary Edition)

Disc 1: Main Feature
1.33:1 Full Frame
English DD2.0 Mono
English SDH, French & Spanish subtitles
Karloff: The Gentle Monster
Monster Tracks
Audio Commentary with Rudy Behlmer
Audio Commentary with Historian Sir Christopher Frayling

Disc 2: Extra Features
Universal Horror
The Frankenstein Files: How Hollywood Made a Monster
Frankenstein Archives
Boo! A Short Film
Theatrical Trailer

Dracula (75th Anniversary Edition)

Disc 1: Main Feature
1.33:1 Full Frame
English DD2.0 Mono
English SDH, French & Spanish subtitles
Audio Commentary with Film Historian David J. Skal
Audio Commentary with Steve Haberman, Screenwriter of “Dracula: Dead and Loving It”
Score by Philip Glass performed by The Kornos Quartet
Lugosi: The Dark Prince
The Road to Dracula
Monster Tracks

Disc 2: Extra Features
Dracula (1931) Spanish Version
Introduction to the Spanish Version by Lupita Tovar Kohner
Universal Horror
Poster Montage
Theatrical Trailer

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
There is supposed to be a really nice 35mm print of DRACULA that toured the country with Phillip Glass and his score of the film. I wish Uni would give us a hi-def remaster from that source material...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks