What's new

Universal is about to open the floodgates... (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
According to our own David Lambert at tvshowsondvd.com Universal is readying a massive amount of TV product for DVD. This is according to a large promotional book sent to industry folk.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1580

Although only "Miami Vice" and "The Bionic Woman" are mentioned, Mr. Lambert has chosen to taunt us by releasing the rest of the info over the coming days! ARGHHHHHH! I'm sure David will defend his actions with some lame excuse like "I was instructed by Universal to release the details at determined intervals". Right. It's more likely that he just wants to watch us squirm as he gloats having the rest of the info to himself! :angry:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
As long as they don't hold off because of the weekend, I'm fine with it. Days and days of good DVD news! Mmm. :)

Right now, I'm hoping for word on Airwolf and Leave It to Beaver. I'm sure there are other Uni shows I want, but that's all I can think of for now. Well, Emergency!, but that was announced two years ago now. Eventually. . . .

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Didn't Gord mention something about Alfred Hitchcock Presents recently? Hopefully that will be one of the titles.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
well it's probably best for my wallet that this news gets spread out over a period of time.

I know there are a lot of June releases that I'm going to be hit hard with. May wasn't too bad...

:cool:

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I look forward to getting Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Boris Karloff Presents: Thriller, Leave It To Beaver, Dragnet, The Six Million Dollar Man and The Incredible Hulk. Universal has a ton of classics that need to be released ASAP!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well unfortunatly all flippers but I guess I can live with it.
I'd definately spring for Six Million Dollar Man

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i am a little concerned that we may be trading quantity for quality.

i realize they made some missteps with faulty disc here and there, but they have also, imo, put out some of the nicest looking catalog titles available.
the Hulk set looks wonderful, for instance as does (intermittenly) Battelstar Galactica.

it would be bittersweet to see them go the way of MGM and put out a tone of stuff, with typically low to moderate quality authoring/encoding.

and i guess i shouldn't get too excited about this until the sets are actually on the shelf.
yes, the deal is over- but that doesn't change the fact that we are just now starting to see the titles from that 'first' announcment back in 2002.

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
Two big ones for me:

Jack Benny*

60's Dragnet

Might go for others...but those two are biggies.

*Somewhat dissapointing: Even if Universal released every "Benny" ep in their control (which, let's be honest, is highly unlikely), you still wouldn't have a complete series.

For the first few years Benny alternated between live broadcasts from New York or Hollywood (owned, I assume, by CBS or the Benny Estate)and the filmed eps, which were sold to Universal for syndication. I predict a "Here's Lucy" treatment for a Benny release, if any.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
On June 6 I will be going to the NY Licensing show. This is the show where companies go to license out their properties. All of the major studios are their. I will snoop around the studios and ask about tv releases.

Sweet news on Miami Vice!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
If we eventually see DVD sets of--

THRILLER
DRAGNET
(1950s and 1960s versions)
M-SQUAD
KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER
LEAVE IT TO BEAVER
ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS
THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR
SUSPICION

--I'll be a very happy Bullwinkle! :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My goal is to have all the info posted before the holiday weekend is over. I think you all will have a very happy 3-4 days to mull all of this over! :D

In the meantime, enjoy the speculation. :laugh:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
All I want right now is more commitment to Northern Exposure, hopefully intact, and at more reasonable pricing and an expedited release schedule.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Oh please oh please oh please oh please puh..leeezee let MACGYVER be one of the upcoming releases!!

Please! :b

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Zack MacGyver is from Paramount but I hope they get off there butts and release it this year. I want MacGyver on DVD so bad.

If Universal plans to release all of their shows does that mean American Gothic could come out?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jim, it's not "all of their shows".

And I'll let you off the hook right now: American Gothic isn't in "the book". However, that may not mean much. Neither is Night Gallery, and of course we know that it is coming.

Exclusion from the book doesn't seem to mean that a property is not in-the-works. However, inclusion in the book seems to mean that something IS in-the-works for that show. Get it?

Good, because I'm confused. :)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
My most forlorn wish from the Universal catalog is "Ellery Queen", but hopefully a mass release of 70s shows would help this gem get some DVD attention.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see Ellery Queen come out, too. We're at the 75th anniversary of the Ellery Queen character (he debuted in 1929), and coming up on the 30th anniversary of the TV series (it debuted in 1975). Jim Hutton will always *be* Ellery Queen to me (and I've read all the novels and most of the short stories). It's interesting that his son went on to help realize another famous, long-standing fictional detective series (Nero Wolfe).

Well, I for one am looking forward to the tidbits to come this weekend. Bring 'em on! :>

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks