What's new

Universal: How about Alan Ladd, Ray Milland, Gary Cooper #2 Boxset & Ronald Colman (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I must have the most sensitve "Submit Reply" button in the world. Someone with access, please delete my duplicate posts.

reneerose

Auditioning
Real Name
Irene
Would Warner Archive or even Criterion be able to help Universal distribute the languishing Paramount catalog? Or are there rights involved there too? Agree with putting out unseen Paramount films...even if MOD. Arise My Love was Academy Award winning story and should be on Region 1 DVD. Sad that the films were even sold to Universal to begin with. Some of the Paramount Holden movies such as Force of Arms and Union Station appear to have been distributed by Warner Archive and Olive Films respectively.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I would guess that the best hope for release of Universal's Paramount films is through TCM archive where they have released such films as the Billy Wilder Double feature Five Graves to Cairo and Foreign Affair.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Many of the Paramount William Holden titles (THE PROUND AND PROFANE, THE TURNING POINT, DEAR WIFE, UNION STATION, SUBMARINE COMMAND) are available free on AmazonPrime on Demand.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Simply Media (the same studio that released the Deanna Durbin collection in UK) will release some Universal (pre 49 Paramount) titles later this month, including: - And Now Tomorrow ( Alan Ladd, Loretta Young); - Variety Girl (all star cast) - Dixie (Bing Crosby, Dorothy Lamour) - Sing your Sinners ( Crosby, MacMurray - already available in R1) If anyone pick any of these, please let us know about picture quality.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
RafaelPires said:
Simply Media (the same studio that released the Deanna Durbin collection in UK) will release some Universal (pre 49 Paramount) titles later this month, including: - And Now Tomorrow ( Alan Ladd, Loretta Young); - Variety Girl (all star cast) - Dixie (Bing Crosby, Dorothy Lamour) - Sing your Sinners ( Crosby, MacMurray - already available in R1) If anyone pick any of these, please let us know about picture quality.
According to the TCM review of the Bing Crosby Backlot Collection, Universal originally had Dixie slated for inclusion in that collection and did all the cleanup associated with it. At the last minute, they pulled it, and replaced it with We're not Dressing. If the UK release of Dixie comes from that work, it should look quite good. BTW: Are these all DVD releases to which you are referring.

reneerose

Auditioning
Real Name
Irene
What I don't understand is why Simply Media has license to release these Paramount films in the U.S. and they don't have release here. Example: recent release of The Uninvited back in October 2012. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks