1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal focus on back catalog in 2003

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Adkins, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

I'm talking about the UK. Universal released a new Hitchcock collection in May. I may be daft but I'm not stupid!! [​IMG]

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Ah, that does make more sense then. Glad to hear you aren't in a time warp or something. [​IMG]

3. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

All I want to know is- where's Howard the Duck ?[​IMG]

4. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

Howard the Duck would be a class DVD. Any news? [​IMG]

5. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

"Very hard to find on VHS and I don't believe there was ever a Laserdisc, so a DVD edition is, in my opinion, long over due for this film. It's Don Siegel - one of the few Siegel films not on DVD. And one of his very best - dare I say it: better than Dirty Harry."

CHARLEY VARRICK was released by Universal on laserdisc as a part of a double feature with MADIGAN.

I totally agree with Gordon's assessment of the film (I have the poster in my office and it has one of my all-time favorite taglines: "When he runs out of dumb luck, he always has genius to fall back on") it's one of Siegel's best and is long overdue for a DVD release. Have to say, though there's a lot of great Siegel films that aren't available on DVD (and aren't likely to be released because they're too "obscure"): RIOT IN CELL BLOCK 11, CRIME IN THE STREETS, THE LINE-UP, and most importantly, BABY FACE NELSON.

6. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I agree with Gordon & Bob.
    Charley Varrick is an excellent film & is long overdue for a DVD release. Smart Crime/Thriller's like this just don't get made very often these days.
    It's depressing that films like this (one of many great films) remain in their vaults while I see some of the crap that does get released.
    While I don't think all of their 2003 catalog releases are crap, I do think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel by focusing primarily on the 80's/90's.
    A rather disappointing output considering their claim of releasing 115 catalog titles between Jan - June '03. [​IMG]

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

8. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

I'm glad they're finally putting out Fletch Lives and most of their re-releases seem to be quality (Although I'm dissapointed in the specs for the new Animal House and I'm still waiting on Weird Science and The Breakfast Club).
    I just want to know when we'll see Going Berserk, The People Under The Stairs, and They Live SE.
    Somebody there should take a break from working on the Mega-Super-Most Nudity-timate Edition of American Pie to take a look at what's in the vaults.

9. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

I'm hoping for new versions of Psycho 2 and Psycho 3 - anyone know if they are in production?

10. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

11. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

And what about an SE of Prince of Darkness? Carpenter would do a commentary if asked. He's said so many times.

12. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Carpenter has recorded a commentary with Peter Jason for the UK disc of Prince of Darkness.

13. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Walt, Carpenter has indeed recorded a commentary for Prince Of Darkness - for the Momentum region 2 edition. He is joined on the commentary by Peter Jason. It's a pretty good commentary.
    I doubt he would do another commentary for the film, so I guess that you'll either have to wait for Momentum to license the commentary to a US distributor or order the region 2 edition.
    Excellent transfer and Dolby stereo sound. [​IMG]
    Gordy

14. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Agh, Jon! [​IMG]
    Ya beat me by ten stinkin' minutes, ya sunuvvagun! [​IMG]
    Do you have the They Live region 2? It too is a high-quality, value-for-money DVD. [​IMG]
    Momentum's, The Changeling, with Medak's commentary is also superb. [​IMG]
    Gordy

15. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Gordy
    I also have They Live, absolutely fantastic version
    [​IMG]

16. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    They Live, Prince of Darkness, Starman (the latter also has a Carpenter commentary with Jeff Bridges) are all excellent R2 releases.

---
    So many films, so little time...

17. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I cannot believe they botched the chance to reissue BRAZIL anamorphic-they would have sold many thousands instead of just a few hundred.

I would like to see DUNE, either as an SE, or even just a plain 16x9 reissue.
    And of course, CHARLEY VARRICK...

as well as new 16x9 editions of:
    THE DEER HUNTER
    Freidkins SORCERER
    etc etc...

18. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Extra

Personally, rather than "Schindler's List" which I don't much like, I'd love to see "Sugarland Express", "Duel" and the TV movie "Something Evil" from the Spielberg back catalogue. An improved edition of the undervalued "1941" would be very nice as well.

But the one I'm waiting for is a proper edition of Robert Aldrich's glorious "Ulzana's Raid"; easily one of the ten best westerns ever made and a milestone in the genre for it's unpatronising and complex attitude to the 'Cavalry versus Indians' plotline. Let's get Alan Sharp to record a commentary and include both Aldrich's cut and the Burt Lancaster edit. I want an OAR edition with the original mono soundtrack. Surely not too much to ask...

19. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Extra

They Live, Prince of Darkness, Starman (the latter also has a Carpenter commentary with Jeff Bridges) are all excellent R2 releases.
    Seconded ! In fact I thought "Prince of Darkness" looked better than it ever has done - an undervalued movie with a good edge of Nigel Kneale about it (even if the great man wasn't happy about the script being credited to Martin Quatermass).