What's new

Universal focus on back catalog in 2003 (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Casual Sex / Cold Comfort Farm 2-Pack
WTF?
Are they together on the same disc or are they 2 separate discs just packaged together. I would definitely prefer the latter as I've been waiting for Cold Comfort Farm for ages, but have no desire to own the other.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Looks like Universal is trying to give a little something for everyone. Definite buys: The Thrill Of It All, Countess From Hong Kong and Man's Favorite Sport/Strange Bedfellows though I would have preferred the other Rock Hudson/Gina Lollobrigida pairing, Come September to Bedfellows.
Still, keep them coming Universal. Your choices are inconsistent in quality but if you throw enough out there, there are bound to be a goody or two.

Gavin_L

Second Unit
awesome news, can't wait for some of these great movies to be released. Sixteen Candles been one on my list for a long time :)
also thanks for the update about the feb. slate, i'll be picking up the money pit :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I hope Universal makes sure The Countess From Hong Kong is pretty good in quality...I don't think it has been on video in the original 2.35:1 ratio ever.

If Image or Kino releases a collection of Keystones, it would make the first time 100% of a director's films have been on DVD in one year.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I had to resurrect this thread. :D
So what's everyone's opinion on Universals big catalog title output so far?
I have to say that apart from the Anthony Mann westerns & (what might be a bogus report) the rumored Scarface SE I'm somewhat underwhelmed by their choices.
I'm especially irritated by their lack of Classic Horror titles. It looks like another wasted Halloween DVD season from Universal. :thumbsdown: :frowning:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
There have been some good releases - but those mainly being their own new editions of the Image titles like Andromeda Strain and Fahrenheit 451. And even if there is a SE of Scarface, it's still a re-release, albeit an essential one, and the new edition of Animal House doesn't look like much cop.
Univeral have a veritable klondike of great films in their library, and they just seem to be pissing in the wind.
Anything to tide me over: uh, Don Siegel's amazing existential cult classic, Charley Varrick, maybe?
Universal started so well in the early DVD days, what happened? :frowning:
Gordy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
While I did upgrade with Andromeda Strain & Midnight Run I would much rather have had some never-released titles instead.
Scarface really needs an upgrade but the recent Internet rumors might pan out to be BS.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I might have posted this already, but all the W.C. Fields, Douglas Sirk, Josef von Sternberg and Preston Sturges films that you can get hold of please!

Charley Varrick is a great little crime picture from the 70s, and another one that should be given a new lease of life on DVD.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
so Gordy what is so special about Charley Varrick ?
In a word: Walter Matthau. Superb, uncharacteristic performance by Matthau in Charley Varrick. Joe Don Baker personifies nastiness and the whole film is just filled with that raw power that only a master filmmaker like Siegel could bring to those types of movies. It's just so clever and quirky. Enigmatic ending, naturally - it is a Siegel picture!
I have a 1.85:1 MAR (from 2.40:1 Panavision) VHS taped from a 1999 BBC 2 broadcast.
Very hard to find on VHS and I don't believe there was ever a Laserdisc, so a DVD edition is, in my opinion, long over due for this film. It's Don Siegel - one of the few Siegel films not on DVD. And one of his very best - dare I say it: better than Dirty Harry. :eek:
Gordy

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I have been pretty impressed by Universal's Alfred Hitchcock collection which was just released. Some interesting extras on there. Any chance of the 60's "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" Tv series coming to DVD in complete seasons or is that another Universal TV show with music clearance problems!!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks