What's new

Universal - Classic Monsters, when? (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I'm stiil disappointed with the transfer on what is arguably the best Universal horror of them all, Bride of Frankenstein. Excessive grain and poor framing. This really needs (and deserves) restoration on the level of Sunset Boulevard or North by Northwest; or at least Universal's Frankenstein DVD, which is the best of the bunch, transfer-wise.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Also, i believe they released a few copies at Halloween last year. It may be a marketing strategy to release limited copies of them in October, thinking that Halloween is the time they would sell the most copies (mistaken, I know, but that's the impression I got)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
or at least Universal's Frankenstein DVD, which is the best of the bunch, transfer-wise.
I actually think "FRANKENSTEIN" is the worst of the discs because they removed all the ambient background noise during the remastering. Every scene with no dialog sounds like it's in the dead vacuum of outer space. Every time it goes 'dead' is disconcerting and makes the whole viewing experience "unreal". Ambience is an integral part of sound recording and they basically wiped that track clean. Very poor decision from whoever was in charge of supposedly "cleaning it up". Sure, visually it looked good, but maybe this obsession with re-tooling and perfecting these old films does more harm then good sometimes.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

I do understand why you'd say this, and others have voiced the same objection, but to me it sounds great. The hiss and pops for me are not intergral to the film. Plus, to determine what it originally sounded like when first released to theaters would seem, at best, difficult.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Steven P,

I think a big thank you for the Frankenstein tip is in order. I read your post, ordered immediately on 7/15, checked status today and the site said out of stock on 7/14 (UhOh), but now they indicate they shipped it.

So thanks!

Dan

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
I just got Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, House of Frankenstein and The Mummy's Curse on used VHS. Oh well they were only a few bucks and we still don't know what Universals plans are. I saw The Invisible Man across the bay in SF for 17.95 and should go back and get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks