1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection Blu-ray Review - Recommended

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kevin EK, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    John,

I got mine here in Michigan today so you should get yours today or tomorrow at the latest.

2. Ken Volok

Ken Volok Well-Known Member

Ken Volok
    I got my replacement set in the mail today, immediately tested Creature and again, slow motion with sound drops beginning approx. 58:00 to the end of the film. In my orig order I've played Dracula, Phantom , and Invisible Man all no problem so it couldn't possibly be firmware and on other contemporary issues no problem. Anybody else yet? Why me??!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. JamesNelson

JamesNelson Well-Known Member

Well, one obvious difference is that CFTBL is a 3-D disc. You may only be watching the 2-D version, but I'm sure the disc is mastered differently.
    It couldn't hurt to get the latest firmware.

4. Ken Volok

Ken Volok
    I'd say that makes sense but then why does the first 50+ minutes play with no problem?

5. JamesNelson

I've no idea. But the chances of you getting two different defective discs when no one else is reporting this issue are minimal.
    Equally odd, however, is the fact that you report the issue on two different makes of player. :huh:

6. Ken Volok

Ken Volok
    I wish it were a faulty player, that'd be easier to replace.
    I traded in all my Legacies towards getting this set.

7. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Well-Known Member

I have not had time to try any of the discs in this set. Ken, which Sony Blu ray player do you have? I have a Sony blu-ray player too. But it will soon be replaced with a 3D capable player.

8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    It's the 10th and I'm still waiting. Tracking says it shipped on the first and arrived in Secaucus (NY I presume) on the 8th. I presume my shipment crossed by boat. I wonder how they choose the shipper? I know I always get the slowest one. It took so long to get Ben Hur, that they sent a replacement.

9. Hal F

Hal F Well-Known Member

Mine was estimated to arrive one Monday also. Still not here. Mail delivery in my neighborhood is generally after 4pm. So won't know for awhile whether or not it comes in today.
    First time I've had an amazon.uk package arrive after the projected delivery date. They are usually a couple of days early.

10. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    Mine (non-coffin version) arrived yesterday. I can't say that my Amazon.UK deliveries have ever arrived in the same time frame. Some come quickly; some come later.
    So far, I've only watched Dracula in its entirety (looked and sounded great), and took some sneak peaks at a few others. Looks to be a great set.

11. Ken Volok

Ken Volok
    Hi, it's a Sony S-380

12. JamesNelson

Someone on another forum is reporting that their copy of Dial M for Murder starts skipping after the 40 minute mark when played in 2-D on a Sony standalone player. They didn't mention the model number.

13. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    It's the 11th and according to tracking, my order is still sitting in Secaucus. It shows no departure scan.

14. warnerbro

warnerbro Well-Known Member

Darrell
    I just received my UK copy. I watched DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN and they are both jaw-dropping beautiful: beautiful fine grain, rich velvety blacks, clean whites and strong grays. They both look like they were shot yesterday. I can't believe it. I don't know how they got these to look so good. The new detail you can see feels like seeing these films for the first time. in Dracula, you can actually see the grains of dirt in some of the shots in the mausoleum in the beginning. Universal has finally learned how not to go overboard on smearing the grain off. The UK set is beautiful with 8 post-card-sized full color poster reproductions and the blu-rays themselves repeat the full color poster reproductions on their backs. We also get a very long full-color book. The sound and picture on the DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN are pitch-perfect! And this set was very cheap at Amazon UK -- 35 bucks! This is the buy of the year! Well done, Universal!

15. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    Yes, for once the images of the films themselves look as good as the production stills.

16. Ken Volok

Ken Volok
    The problem I reported earlier with CfBL is now being reported from others according to Amazon reviews.

17. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Premium
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Silly question, perhaps: does the UK version play on US players without anything extra or special needed on this end?

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    They play fine on US players.

19. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I am watching the UK 2D version and skipped to about 59 minutes and I'm having no problems. Perhaps there was a bad batch of discs.

20. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Or his player needs an update / cleaning...