What's new

Universal Backlot series still alive : Barbara Stanwyck on 4/27/10 (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
My thoughts exactly.

Universal and Sony continue to release pressed discs and I'll support that first.
Ditto! As long as there are pressed classics, I will ALWAYS support those over the DVD-R trend that is currently taking place. If and when those completely disappear, I will consider buying the DVD-Rs, but not until then. That's why I have a DVD-Burner connected to my cable box.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
"The backlot collection so far has had a decidedly feminine tilt to it"

Perhaps an Alan Ladd collection in the Universal Backlot series would appease you. Noirs like THE GLASS KEY and THE BLUE DAHLIA, dramas like SAIGON and WILD HARVEST and adventures like CALCUTTA and TWO YEARS BEFORE THE MAST. Sadly though he was a big star in his day, I suspect Ladd would only get blank stares today.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
Awesome news. Pressed discs for my favourite actress of all time!

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes

The Backlot collection so far has had a decidely feminine tilt to it.
Maybe this means that the female stars of the Golden Age are more recognizable in the 21st century than the male ones... or at least the female ones who worked at Paramount and Universal. The biggest male stars (Gable, Flynn, Bogart, Cagney, Grant, Wayne etc.) worked primarily at other studios.

Who were the biggest male stars on the Paramount or Universal lots? Fred MacMurray? Alan Ladd? Randolph Scott? Rock Hudson? Jimmy Stewart?

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker

Maybe this means that the female stars of the Golden Age are more recognizable in the 21st century than the male ones... or at least the female ones who worked at Paramount and Universal. The biggest male stars (Gable, Flynn, Bogart, Cagney, Grant, Wayne etc.) worked primarily at other studios.

Who were the biggest male stars on the Paramount or Universal lots? Fred MacMurray? Alan Ladd? Randolph Scott? Rock Hudson? Jimmy Stewart?
Paramount's biggest star that still has drawing power today has to be Gary Cooper. They had him from the 1920s and throughout the 1930s. They also had William Powell until 1932 or so. Fredric March also did considereable work at Paramount and won an Oscar there, but most people dont know who he is today. In my opinion March was the most talented actor working in the 1930s and 1940s. Cary Grant did all his pre-stardom work at Paramount. Richard Arlen was Paramount's silent/early-talkie equivilent to a Gable-esq leading man but he never really caught on, but left a huge body of interesting work that will probably never be released on DVD.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Two of Paramount's biggest stars were Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. Was any other entertainer in the Twentieth Century as huge as Crosby in as many different media: movies, records, radio and television? But Hope was a close second in three of those four categories.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by ColbyCo82

Paramount's biggest star that still has drawing power today has to be Gary Cooper. They had him from the 1920s and throughout the 1930s. They also had William Powell until 1932 or so. Fredric March also did considereable work at Paramount and won an Oscar there, but most people dont know who he is today. In my opinion March was the most talented actor working in the 1930s and 1940s. Cary Grant did all his pre-stardom work at Paramount. Richard Arlen was Paramount's silent/early-talkie equivilent to a Gable-esq leading man but he never really caught on, but left a huge body of interesting work that will probably never be released on DVD.
In very much agreement here. I would love a Frederic March set. There was already Cooper set, but I agree that he was the biggest male star there that still has name recognition. I'm sure there are still many unreleased 30s Coop films that could be in a future set.

Also, did Henry Fonda make enough movies there for a set? I ask because he was in both "Trail of the Lonesome Pine" and "Spawn of the North" and because he did not sign a contract with Fox until the 40s, he could have been in a decent amount in Paramount

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco
Please, can anyone confirm that the "Barbara Stanwyck Collection" includes Spanish subtitles? Thank you very much.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There are only English subtitles for the films in The Barbara Stanwyck Collection.

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco
Thank you very much for the answer. I was surprised by the information about the inclusion of subtitles in Spanish and French. It must be an mistake in the review:

ALL FILMS
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 (Even THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW, Which Is Not the proper aspect ratio)
Color / B & W: Black & White
Audio: Español Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Subtitles: Español SDH, Spanish, French
Rating: Not Rated (Appropriate for all ages)

Release Date: April 27, 2010

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Thank you for catching that. I'll fix that right now.

This is what happens when I'm trying to keep track of six films at the same time.
The text of the review has the right information, but I hadn't done another check on the top caption to clear that out.

At the same time, though, I have to ask how you found my caption listing "Espanol SDH, Spanish French in the Subtitles" and "Espanol Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono"? I have that listed as "English SDH" and "English Dolby Digital". How can this have happened?

Twist

Agent
Real Name
Francisco
Thanks for the clarification. As for your question, probably due to capture a translated version of the review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks