What's new

Universal Announces Next Diana Krall for Super Audio! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Indeed, it may take me that long to get a G series at current pricing.

As far as navigation goes, its a bit more complicated. I honestly have not figured out how to switch my 563 to DVDA without a TV although on some players its more obvious.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
It's not just the Pioneer that has those issues, although even for SACD many (if not all) of the Pioneer models and their clones require one to go into the set-up menu to select which area of a hybrid SACD is the deault (e.g. Sterep SACD, Multi-channel SACD, or CD Audio). As much as that is a pain vs. what say for example Sony does, at least one can set their preference which is more than they allow for DVD-A, where depending on the authoring of the disc requires a display or psychic abilities. It should be interesting to see what the $180 list Toshiba does when it comes out in June. I hope they have thought to through a bit better than Pioneer. I still say in terms of playback quality of a particular format, the more vast experience in designing PCM equipment circuitry lets cheaper DVD-A players tend to sound better at playing DVD-As vs. cheaper SACD players player CDs. Stand alone cheaper (non-video) SACD players tend to be better at CD playback since they don't use the video bitstream for PCM to be outputted from the player.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Not exactly sure what the problem is here, but on EVERY dvd-audio player I have played around with (too many to mention individually by name here but around 12 different models from 5 different manufacturers, including the Pioneer DV-563) they all went directly to the dvd-audio tracks when "close" or "play" was pushed. The only way to get them to play the DTS or Dolby tracks was to manually go into the intial settings menus and choose the dvd-video playback option. And at least on the players I messed with, after the disc was ejected this option reverted back to the original dvd-audio playback mode.

LJ

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Lance, they will default to the multi-channel track oe what is on group 1? If that is one's preference, that is fine but not the same level of control as what it allows for SACD. Does the 563 finally have a group button? If not, the only way to change if the disc is authored to the newer spec.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
You mean that player doesn't "auto detect"?Or you equate DVD-A to the 2 ch track on the DVD-A only?!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to pretend to know enough to get into the DVD-A vs. SACD discussion here. I have several of Krall's DVD-As and listen to the 5.1 DTS mixes on my DVD-V player.

My question...which is also technically OT to the thread heading--but I think people here might know the answer...is why hasn't "All for You" (her Nat King Cole tribute album) been released on DVD-A? I always see very little discussion about that particular title whenever Krall titles are discussed for hi-rez pressings.

I ask because "All for You" is one of my all-time favorite discs--by ANY artist.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Based on much personal experience, playing the dvd-audio tracks--whether it's the stereo or surround mixes--is a dvd-audio player's default mode.

Playing the dvd-video part of a dvd-audio disc-- meaning the DTS or Dolby Digital tracks--is the mode you have to MANUALLY switch the player to.

Why would a hi-res player's default playback mode be to play the low-res tracks??

My Pioneer DV-656A dvd-audio player even displays this warning after choosing the dvd-video playback option: "This setting is erased when the disc tray is opened."

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks