What's new

Universal and TCM's Partnership For Made-To-Order DVD (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ed Lachmann said:
To Justin's point, I don't understand why they licensed THE UNINVITED to a company called Exposure Cinema in the UK for a June 11th "official" release. The hope was that it might make it to Criterion and as a BD. The film is on a great many "most wanted" lists and hopefully they might still do it for the American release. Someone in a past thread noted that the original elements are in really good shape. Also, the first two Mitchell Leisen films he mentions had Universal Spain releases some time ago. The transfers were especially nice, unlike much of what has come out of there under the Warners and Fox banners. Seems like TCM could make a nice Leisen multi-disc set. I would love it since Mitch was my great uncle and I could send off several to the relatives. I've a lovely DVD of FRENCHMAN'S CREEK from Spain which I'm sure many would love to have here. Films like THE MATING SEASON, PRACTICALLY YOURS, KITTY and TAKE A LETTER, DARLING have never yet made it to DVD and are Universal titles.
The Mating Season is owned by Paramount. If Criterion doesn't pick it up, hopefully it will be in Olive Films next wave.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Camps said:
I'm guessing this is from the aforementioned marketing partnership: A TCM-branded box set of '50s Universal "Women in Danger" films, now up for pre-order via Movies Unlimited: http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=D59795&utm_source=Listrak&trk_msg=FQTENPGRS1JKB4RIA0Q6KKIJF8&trk_contact=HNTM1QSLG43588U7ISRNC63ICC&utm_campaign=What%27s+the+best+%22Mafia%22+movie%3F&utm_term=Women+In+Danger%3A+1950s+Thrillers&utm_medium=Email Maybe this lines up with the "1950s Melodrama" category included in the rumored release categories listed above....
I am glad for anyone who is pleased by this release, but considering what's still stuck in Universal's vault, it again raises the question of who the hec is picking the films to be released in the TCM program?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Brent S said:
A hope for that set is MYRT AND MARGE (1933), Universal's sole [Ted Healy & His] Three Stooges holding.
The title raises some question of what it means as Universal owns a lot of rare films. If the set if meant to contain historically important Universal films, Myrt and Marge might make it (IMDB says it was filmed at Universal, but do they own it?). I read somewhere that Univeral was restoring King of Jazz, its early sqawkie musical featuring Bing Crosby's first appearance in film. Another possibility would be Follow the Boys, Universal's WWII musical featuring a famous W.C. Fields routine.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
JoeDoakes said:
The title raises some question of what it means as Universal owns a lot of rare films. If the set if meant to contain historically important Universal films, Myrt and Marge might make it (IMDB says it was filmed at Universal, but do they own it?).
They do own it. Universal restored the film in the early 1990s, and licensed it for some screenings on The Movie Channel and Cinemax. They even issued press notices promoting the cable premiere, with a "Stooges film not seen in over 50 years" angle. But they've kept it out of circulation for the past 20 years, reason(s) unknown. With one exception... clips of it with stars Ted Healy and Eddie Foy Jr. turned up in the movie theater scene of O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? (2000).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks