What's new

Uneducated clerks (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have a good one for you - it's a CD purchase, not a DVD purchase, but that's still software, and it's amusing enough.

Yesterday a really cool singer/songwriter named Ryan Adams put out his newest record "Rock N Roll." Additionally, he released an 8 song EP called "Love Is Hell." I got an email from a certain chain store in New England that I sometimes shop at that said you'd get a free copy of "Love Is Hell" if you purchased "Rock N Roll" at the sale price of $9.99, but only on the first day of release, 11/4. There was a small disclaimer that the offer was valid while supplies last.

I went to the store later in the day, and to my delight, both "Rock N Roll" and "Love Is Hell" were in a large display upfront, a lot of copies. So I grabbed one of each and went to the checkout counter, but for some reason it rang up as about $18 - $9.99 for "Rock N Roll" and $7.99 for "Love Is Hell." I mentioned that the email said that Love Is Hell would be free. The clerk mentioned that the offer was valid while supplies lasted, as the email said.

I was holding the CD in my hand. If that isn't proof that supplies have lasted, I don't know what is.

I tried to explain that calmly and patiently, and the clerk responded that only the first twenty people who purchased "Rock N Roll" would get a free copy, and everyone else would have to pay for it. I again referenced the ad that specificially said it was free on 11/4, as long as it was in stock. It didn't mention anything about "Free copy to the first twenty buyers" or anything like that.

Obviously this kid was just following orders, and the manager was conveniently unavaliable to speak with.

Tell me that's not the most ridiculous thing. As a lifelong English speaker, I've always been under the impression that the phrase "while supplies last" refers to a store having the item in stock, and that if they do have it in stock, supplies are there. I've also always been under the impression that "while supplies last" does not automatically mean "first twenty people."

TedT

Second Unit
When I purchased my Playstation 2 at a Large Chain I was told by a clerk that I should get the vertical Stand for it, as playing the Disc while the player is horizontal is bad for the PS2 and the Discs. He went on and on about the balancing of the player's mechanism and how I really need to buy the $20 plastic stand.
Actually, you get those circular scratches on your PS2 games if you store your PS2 vertically (or at least that's what a clerk told me at Gamestop).

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
you get those circular scratches on your PS2 games if you store your PS2 vertically
very true.
it looks like someone took a punch to your disc, and tried to punch a hole through it.

this would be the stop/brake mechanism at work?

hence why we do not rent discs to those with PS2 machines.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I actually do have my PS2 placed vertically, but it's in between my TV and Hometheater Shelving and can't fall over.
Actually, what I heard about this, from a guy that repairs them, is that changing it back and forth causes a problem with the gearing inside to wear a little differently. Thus, either leave it horizontal, or vertical, just don't change it back and forth.

PS The original story is funny. MY DISCS ARE BETTER THAN YOURS BECAUSE I GOT THEM FROM BEST BUY. HE HE HE HA HAH HAH. :laugh:

Frank PW

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris, She forgot to mention that those "other" stores movies can't be placed on edge like there's becuse all the zeros and ones will fall off the disk and your movie will be a useless pile of data on the shelf.:angry:

Your's won't do that because it has the new data retention system. You lucky dog. :emoji_thumbsup:

F

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The copy of Finding Nemo I got had Disc 1 made in Taiwan and disc 2 made in Mexico.
While I hate to support Wal-Mart, they had the lowest price on it and a free CD-ROM with it too, so I bought it there- almost bought "Madeline" also as a bunch of copies were thrown in the 5.88 bin, but it rang up at $14.44! The clerk said someone probably just put it there, but couldn't explain how more than 3 copies got in there. I'll be sure to dump some stuff in the bins next time :D

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Just to let all know, the store in question was Media Play.
Never had a good experience when anyone decides to demo their knowledge base, but I still go there once in awhile for some harder to find titles. My regular stop is Best Buy, everyone there at least has a clue and is friendly.

Regarding my previously mentioned "questionable purchases" I was never chastised, but the people who recognize me will look at the title and not think I would like it, we then have a pleasant conversation about loving all types of films.

And too the person who mentioned long lines as a culprit, there was 1 person behind me, no lines at all.

I also believe it is the responsibility of the clerk at any store and any rate of pay to have a clue about the products in their store. I do not require the same knowledge as I have or any of the fine folks on this forum, but you should take some pride in your job. I worked retail for about 8 years and was always good at my job, I made it a point to not give false information. I worked at a video rental store for awhile and developed great rapport with some customers who came back to that store because of me.

Anyway, I'm planning on returning my as yet unopened nemo and going to my buds at BB.

Some of these stories here are crazy! The quality of help is in a decline and that worries me....
If clerk skills are down, what does that mean for our future?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I always put movies in the $5.88 bin at Wal*Mart. Just to give my sisters boyfriend (The DVD/CD/TV-area salesperson) a hard time. I wonder how many people got pissed they they couldn't really get the Indiana Jones trilogy, the Godfather boxset or CSI season 2 for $5.88.
:D

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Good lord, can you say Darwin award for just plain stupidity...
Sorry, someone is only eligible for a Darwin Award if they die, thus removing themselves from the gene pool for the betterment of the species, hence the name "Darwin Award".

-Lyle J.P.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I asked the guy at best buy about the BTTF replacement discs and he said something about the "Full-Frame" discs being the ones with the wrong aspect ratio.

I was like "Um...4:3 is an aspect ratio. The problem isn't the wrong aspect ratio, but the framing."

"Oh I know, I think the full-frame ones were the mis-framed ones."

I just left and bought online for 20 bucks cheaper. 5 weeks later I had my replacement discs.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
This is why I always try to shop at the more Mom & Pop independant video stores. There the clerks actually CARE about movies and DVDs, actually know what they are talking about. Give me those over the uniformed corporate stores any day. If only I could find that store in Ottawa, at least one with good prices.
It's too bad you don't have a Metro Video in Ottawa. A case in point.

I arrive at the counter, the clerk takes the disc, scans it in, looks at the listing on the computer screen, looks at the disc, looks at me and says:

"This is a pan & scan copy."

DOH!! :)

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
I was holding the CD in my hand. If that isn't proof that supplies have lasted, I don't know what is.
Josh -

That has got to be one of the most ridiculous retail stories I've ever heard. The sad part is - I saw where it was leading as soon as you said "while supplies last." That's how little faith I've come to have in many of the large retail stores. It's unbelievable sometimes the way that stores advertise versus actually living up to their "policies and sales." I hope you were eventually able to work it out with the store, cause that's just plain dumb.

My other favorite thing that clerks do - I'm looking for a possibly lesser known dvd, and I don't find it. I ask the clerk (who has obviously never heard of it, and seems to think I'm making it up). Rather than enter it into their computer (which they are standing right next to) and checking in back, they go and look where I just looked on the shelf, don't see it, and proceed to tell me that they don't have it. Don't even look it up. I just looked there! I know it's not sitting right there on the shelf. Look it up! Wow! I feel a great weight has been lifted now that I got that out.

evangeline

Auditioning
Hi folk. This is my first post, so it's nice that I get to use it to alienate people by standing up for the uneducated, lying clerks. I'm a smart guy. I know my movies, I know my music, and I care a lot about it. I work at a large retail chain, I'm a software sales guy and a cashier, and you know what? Sometimes I have a bad day, and I lie to people. I tell people we're sold out of stuff that I don't want to look for. I tell people we're out of the free gifts even if we're not. But I only do these things if people are rude to me, or treat me like something beneath them because I work retail. (I also hide the p&s copies behind the counter or behind the ws copies so I'm not a bad guy). That being said, Tuesday morning was hell. You had really nasty, really rude women buying Nemo so that their bratty kids would be quiet for a hundred minutes (there were also a lot of really nice, wonderful friendly people and kids, but the mean ones can really ruin your day), I'm sure your clerk was just tired and sick of middle aged women yelling at her. I'm not saying she's right to do it, but I can completely see where she's coming from.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I'm sure your clerk was just tired and sick of middle aged women yelling at her.
Not an excuse whatsoever. I work on a helpdesk supporting retail chains, and the people I deal with all day, everyday are complete idiots, some are OK to work with because they know how to take directions, but a lot of the time they are horrific to work with. The second I lie, or become indignant or whatever, it's my butt hauled into the department head's office for a reaming. No matter how bad your day is, it is no excuse for being rude or telling lies to the customers.

I worked retail for 8 years and never was I rude to a customer (except the one who slapped me, her I kicked out of the store, but that's another story)

Anyway, I held my tongue here for the most part as the CUSTOMER.
Rant off....
I'm happy again :D

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
Your bad day is your problem. It should not overlap into mine.
Preach it! I didn't mean to sound like I was bad mouthing all clerks, because I'm not. Believe it or not, I'm probably one of the nicest customers you'll ever run into, whether I have a bad day or not. Therefore, there is no excuse for a clerk's bad day to be transferred onto me. Letting one customer's attitude affect how you treat the next is ludacris, in my opinion (as all of this is - just my opinion). A clerk's job is to serve the customer. I in no way mean to place the clerk and the customer on different levels; I'm simply saying that is the basic job description. Leave your bad day at home. (and for the record - the particular incident that I was referring to happened within 10 minutes of opening on Tuesday, so the attitude I received was probably not work-related).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

I was a Retail Store Manager for more than 10 years, and a supervisor 3 years prior to that. I would have fired anyone who worked for me and demonstrated this attitude.

No salesperson ever gets ahead at their job or even continues to hold a job when they begin finding excuses that it's ever okay to lie to or be rude to a customer. The entire reason they're in the store is to hand us their money. We're there to take as much of it as we can. If the one guy is actually making us work for a living (holy shit, what a concept!) by asking us to look up something or check in the back for an item that maybe isn't put out yet, then it's the JOB of the salesperson to do it.

If you don't want to do your job, then go find a job you're better suited for.

This attitude is all-too-prevailing in retail, and has been for a long time (even back when I was a manager). Guys who worked for me like that didn't last long; I had no use for them.

I wonder how salespeople who find this to be acceptable behavior on their part feel when the shoe is on the other foot, and they go elsewhere for purchases and get treated like this! :)

Consumers in this thread complaining: I think you underestimate the interest of the store manager in stories like the ones we're telling. Call them up and tell them your story. Expect that the manager will, at least to your face, defend his staff and not give you any real "satisfaction". Realize that this is his/her job, because all discipline must be made in private. You will never know what, if anything, was said or done to the person in question. But, if nothing else, it will be documented in their file and with enough of those the person will eventually be terminated. Keep ratting them out. I've caused 3 people to seek "other job opportunities" or be transferred to other departments in the past year. :D

Alway be calm and polite and just pass on the fact, and be prepared to quote the store's policy to support yourself. Also point out any attempts you made to request higher levels of management at the time and were put off ("he's not here"; "he'll just repeat what I told you"; "I'm the decision-maker on this type of thing").

By the same token, don't forget to call or write in and name the people who are going out of their way to help you and to do the job right. They deserve to get the pat on the back and the praise that they've earned because they find it in their heart to actually go the extra mile and search the inventory computer or walk to the stock room and decide that the truth isn't unbearable after all.

In the end, the best thing to do is rely on yourself whenever possible. In this week's Roundup thread, I last night posted an essay on why Wal-Mart is the best place for me to DVD shop right now because of self-service in a large part, with just about 3 great employees making sure the stock is out and that the prices are already marked as the best in town. Wal-Mart...who'd a thunk it? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks