What's new

Underrated/Overlooked TV series (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
I thought I read that the sets for Farscape had already been destroyed. Is that not the case? If it is, I would think the chances of a 5th season are very slim indeed...
Then again much of the 4th season that we saw last summer sucked anyway, besides the last few eps.
They were but they took pictures in case they could be rebuilt. Also, I've read descriptions for all the January and February episodes and most of them sound amazing, defintely going back to the story arc, unlike the beginning of the season. Just get anyone you know to watch. :)

CaseyLS

Second Unit
I really enjoyed Stark Raving Mad when it was out a couple of years ago. I was sad to see it go

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
my fav cancelled shows

THE DANA CARVY SHOW
BEN STILLER SHOW
MST3K - 10 seasons, but never got the attention it deserved.
NEWS RADIO

Chris

Senior HTF Member
AMEN to MST 3k never really getting it's props; having spoken to many of those who were members of the cast, and being seriously involved at the time, I found MST3k's biting sarcasm, dead on commentary to be something I miss. I didn't follow as heavily the SciFi seasons, but the initial seasons of MST3k rank amongst some of the best.
Also shows that never got their props:
THE TICK (the animated series) which had great handling of the medium and was continously funny.
CLERKS The Animated Series.. again... this show was far funnier then it was given credit for, and was doomed before it aired.
PROFIT - This short lived drama series by Fox never got a shot, but it's quality was fantastic as a concept.. Jim Profit, a struggle to the top executive, was born out of all the bad environment.. and killing his co-workers to advance wasn't below him ;) Adrian Pasdar, who played Profit, did a stunning turn in a show that should have continued.
Space: Above & Beyond: Too bad this show, which had grit and a good concept, never found it's audience...
Blackadder (The Entire Series) In particular, I think of Black Adder Goes Forth; this series ended with one of the most emotional, well played finale of any series in recent memory; a must see.
Hee-Haw: Hey, it uh.. no, I guess this one just sucked.
Mr. Show W/Bob & David - Absolutely hilarious material; sometimes offensive, sometimes unusual, but always different and worth a watch. Most episodes are laugh-out-loud funny.
Parker Lewis Can't Lose - of all the "Ferris" knock offs (hell, NBC had a "Ferris Bueller" TV show..) Parker Lewis hit it closer to the concept; while the show didn't last long, it broke a lot of ground for those that followed it.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.. it's sad to see the current dissasters that are the Trek Franchise.. for the last go around of truly talented writing, DS9 was often overlooked because while Voyager had a primetime network spot, it remained in syndication.. but the better writing all went here.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I have been digging Now and Again on Trio and wish they would show the whole series. I remember being bummed when CBS cancelled it. Hopefully since there are only 20 episodes it would be a candidate for a box set.

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
I always thought Strange Luck on FOX was an excellent show... Starred D.B. Sweeney if I recall correctly. I think it was only on for 1-1/2 seasons :frowning:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I also enjoyed Strange Luck.. you're right.. Fox could have a channel of canceled (good) shows that they really just let walk away ;( (Hell, I thought Millenium was a decent program as well)

Too bad all of them didn't stick around..

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody rememember Misfits of Science?

I loved that show when it was on...of course, I was probably 8 or 9 years old, but anyway... :b

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. - C'mon! Bruce Campell in a Western - how cool can you get?

Key West - Another Fox series that deserved a wider audience.

Jamie Doucette

Stunt Coordinator
Shows that I think never got a fair chance:

The Job
Harsh Realm
Space:Above and Beyond
Millennium
Strange Luck
Brimstone
Dark Angel (well... maybe I miss something else other than the show itself)

If I recall correctly The X-Files was a hair away from being canceled after the first season (true?). But then it got moved to a better time slot. Too bad all of our fav shows couldn't get a better time slot.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The X-Files was a hair away from being canceled after the first season (true?). But then it got moved to a better time slot.
False. The X-Files was considered something of a success even in its first year, since it was getting no lead-in help whatsoever from Brisco County Junior (the show Fox expected to be a hit that year), but had its ratings increase over the course of the season. It was moved to Sunday night in its fourth year once Fox figured out it had maxed out its potential on Friday night, realized that no-one else was programming dramas at that hour on Sunday (TV's most-watched night), and figured Married With Children was about at the end of the road (which led to a disastrous attempt to do a Saturday comic block, but I digress).
Anyway, The X-Files was moved to Sunday because it was a hit (in Fox-in-1996 terms), not vice versa.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
-Millennium (Coming to DVD this year :D :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: )
-Welcome To Eltingville (Actually only the pilot was done and it was freaking brilliant-Cartoon Net didnt pick it up :angry: :angry: )
-DS9 (The first 3 seasons, which were IMHO, the best)
-Futurama

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Kindred: The Embraced
Good show but it wasn't cancelled due to lack of interest. From what I understand, the real reaason it was cancelled is that the actor who played the Prince was killed in a motorcycle accident and he really did carry the show. In my opinion, he was the best part of it. There were some eye-raising points of the show (like everyone had Protean; go out in daylight if they've fed recently) but it had promise.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
My So-Called Life.
I picked up the DVD set for 45 bucks at www.deepdiscountdvd.com blind, and totally would have given over more cash. That was such a good series, and I'm sad it was cancelled.
There was some speculation that ABC wanted to do more, but Claire Danes wanted to start movies, but she made a statement that she'd have done more if ABC picked it up, and that she could have done movies while the show wasn't filming, like others.
Watching it now (I have 4 episodes left) I can't help but get mad that it was cancelled, and that I'll never see these characters again. :frowning:

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
count me as a fan of Space: Above & Beyond. a real shame it didn't continue.

I'm now watching Sports Night on DVD. pretty good stuff, although watching too many episodes in a row, followed by the current West Wing, makes Sorkin's style really stick out and grate just a little bit.

did anyone catch D.C.? a very short-lived drama featuring a number of fresh college grads starting out in DC. I think it was cancelled part-way into its first season (ratings were that bad).

Grapevine? a rather off-beat show starring George Eads (now of CSI) about a group of friends: the "hook" or "twist" was that they'd actually talk direct to camera talking about what was going on.

older stuff: Battlestar Galactica, anyone? (forget that travesty called Galactica 80, though)

and Space:1999. only season one, though. season two was, well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks