What's new

Under the Dome - Season 2 (CBS) (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Jeffery_H said:
Where are the good religious people speaking up and taking on the crazy religious people so you get the REAL meaning? Just saying it's lazy and inexcusable writing to keep going to the same well for water.
Every read/see "The Stand"?

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Jeffery_H said:
Where are the good religious people speaking up and taking on the crazy religious people so you get the REAL meaning? Just saying it's lazy and inexcusable writing to keep going to the same well for water.
There's an answer to that question but it would likely fall outside this site's polciies on religious and political discussion. However, I suspect you already know what it is as well.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The whole Barbie & Julia fight is so out of leftfield and just reeks of bad storytelling so they can get her close to the Junior's uncle.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I thought the first season was mostly enjoyable, but I naively expected to be informed at the end of the season why the dome appeared and possibly how to get out from under it. That is, I expected a mini-series with a conclusion. With season 2 upon us, it seems very clear to me that we'll never see any resolution of the dome. So it's just a show about living under a dome, far less interesting to me than exploring the whys and hows of it. Plus, whenever the show introduces us to something wacky, and characters exclaim how weird this new phenomenon is, other characters say, as if in explanation, "well, the dome itself is weird," thus giving the writers the excuse to do any lame thing they want. So, I am about ready to pull the plug on this show. The only thing keeping me watching now is that I really like Dean Norris and Rachael Lefevre.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
All I can picture with Dean Norris is a little thought bubble saying "THIS is what I chose as a followup up to Breaking Bad? WHY?"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Steve Armbrust said:
So it's just a show about living under a dome, far less interesting to me than exploring the whys and hows of it.
As I recall, Stephen King said the dome itself is really irrelevant to the story he wanted to tell, which was about the interactions and behaviors of the people faced by an extraordinary situation. The how and why of the dome itself was not really that important to him.

I share your perspective, which is why I found the original novel somewhat disappointing in its resolution of the source of the dome, and find the series largely unwatchable.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mysterious Dome, verge of starvation, everyone nearly killed by magnetic fields and blood rain. Police force is down to two, counting the possibly psychotic Mayor's son. So of course good 'ol Deputy Phil is chasing punk kids spray painting the bridge.

Do the writers even read what they're putting in the script?!?!

But the plot twists keep me watching. We've got a meteor strike, the original Four Hands, and resurrected dead girl.
Malcolm R said:
As I recall, Stephen King said the dome itself is really irrelevant to the story he wanted to tell, which was about the interactions and behaviors of the people faced by an extraordinary situation. The how and why of the dome itself was not really that important to him.
A pity since the characters are worthless and the best part of the show is the mystery of the Dome.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
As others have mentioned the lazy writing is becoming very irritating. How convenient that the survivalist family has all the food to keep everyone alive and then what do they do? Throw a big party of course. I am close to deleting from DVR any further episodes.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
They really hurt themselves that they extended this show. It should have been one season with a beginning...middle..and end. Also, confusing is that in the intro. Barbie says it's only been 2 weeks since the dome came down. Sorry....you can't have all the stuff that's happened in a season and a half and only two weeks gone by.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
todd s said:
Also, confusing is that in the intro. Barbie says it's only been 2 weeks since the dome came down. Sorry....you can't have all the stuff that's happened in a season and a half and only two weeks gone by.
Most episodes take place over a day and if I remember correctly, there was a couple of times that a 'day' was spread over more than one episode so the new intro is actually rounding up the amount of time that the first season took place in. It probably wasn't until the 3rd or 4th episode this season that they hit 14 days.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
todd s said:
They really hurt themselves that they extended this show. It should have been one season with a beginning...middle..and end.Also, confusing is that in the intro. Barbie says it's only been 2 weeks since the dome came down. Sorry....you can't have all the stuff that's happened in a season and a half and only two weeks gone by.
So very true. Two weeks? Why do they keep saying that? Even in TV time it has obviously been at least several months.

Big Stephen King fan, never read this one,but he pumps out what, a novel a month? So hard to keep up.As light summer entertainment, I like it. But certainly doesn't have the continuing growth of something like "Falling Skies". More and more it just seems like the writers are extending the story, trying to milk another season out of it.

Doesn't have the major deaths like "The Walking Dead", but if they keep things up, won't have to worry about a food shortage for a long time.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Stan said:
Big Stephen King fan, never read this one,but he pumps out what, a novel a month? So hard to keep up.
I'm not a big Stephen King fan (I think his early stuff when he was more "raw" was his best), but Under the Dome was so bad, it made me want to throw my iPad across the room when I finished reading the ebook. I literally hate-read the final third of the book.

Shockingly, the show is worse :)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Josh Dial said:
I'm not a big Stephen King fan (I think his early stuff when he was more "raw" was his best), but Under the Dome was so bad, it made me want to throw my iPad across the room when I finished reading the ebook. I literally hate-read the final third of the book.

Shockingly, the show is worse :)
The man has written some amazing stories - The Stand, The Dark Tower Series, Salem's Lot etc. I felt the way you did after reading "Dreamcatcher". I literally wanted to kick him in the balls for that one.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
ChristopherG said:
The man has written some amazing stories - The Stand, The Dark Tower Series, Salem's Lot etc. I felt the way you did after reading "Dreamcatcher". I literally wanted to kick him in the balls for that one.
I'm not saying I don't like King, I'm just not a fan. The Dark Tower and The Stand (among others) are indeed quite good. I really enjoy his world building. However, compare the rawness in The Gunslinger with any of his recent work. It was like something was inside King that just had to get out on paper, and The Gunslinger was the result. There's an urgency that propels the whole book. Great stuff.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I've been reading or re-reading all of King's books chronologically over the last few years & I'm up to the beginning of the 1990's and you guys aren't filling me with much confidence to continue. :D
Some of his stuff is wonderful and very well done. Some of his stuff is also just plain awful.

I enjoy John Grisham novels. They're easy reads, pretty generic and pretty standard.

King, on the other hand, can score an A+ then his next novel gets an F, he's very unpredictable.He has written a lot of good stories, but at the same time put out a lot of crap.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Most episodes take place over a day and if I remember correctly, there was a couple of times that a 'day' was spread over more than one episode so the new intro is actually rounding up the amount of time that the first season took place in. It probably wasn't until the 3rd or 4th episode this season that they hit 14 days.
I guess I am thinking that not that it hasn't been two weeks on the show...But, in the actions of the cast. The characters don't seem to act like its only been two weeks. Whether it be a death of a loved one or any of the other story plots.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
todd s said:
I guess I am thinking that not that it hasn't been two weeks on the show...But, in the actions of the cast. The characters don't seem to act like its only been two weeks. Whether it be a death of a loved one or any of the other story plots.
Yeah, even given the situation, their always shifting loyalties and rapid changes in character are ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks