What's new

Under the Dome Season 1 (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I know I may be in the minority on this. But, if I was Barbie....As much as I like girlfriend. I would come clean. It was self defense. And better it be from him than her finding out later from someone else. Plus, whatever Natalia Zea's character has planned for him. It might make his situation worse with her. Speaking of their relationship. The scene with them on the couch was so wierd. They were acting like a married couple who have been together for years. They have only known each other a week. My wife and I both commented how quick that was.

On a side note...I love the split cow. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I agree it seemed odd how quickly Barbie and Julie were so intimate on the couch. But they did establish that her husband was a bum and she seemed to be fine to be rid of him. But still....And now we have this new character who seems to be tied to Barbie and Big Jim. Complicates matters even more!If the Sphere (or Sphere aliens) told Joe to move the mini sphere into the barn when he was sleeping, then it made me wonder if the mini sphere was the center of the big sphere, and if so, did moving it also move the big sphere? Assuming the sphere's center is equidistant from the mini sphere's center.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
If the Sphere (or Sphere aliens) told Joe to move the mini sphere into the barn when he was sleeping, then it made me wonder if the mini sphere was the center of the big sphere, and if so, did moving it also move the big sphere? Assuming the sphere's center is equidistant from the mini sphere's center.
If so, I would expect there would be mass destruction in the opposite direction that the sphere is being moved.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
todd s said:
I know I may be in the minority on this. But, if I was Barbie....As much as I like girlfriend. I would come clean. It was self defense.
The only reason why Barbie didn't tell her about the self-defense is so he could be blackmailed in the most recent episode. ... So, yes, he should have told her long ago.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I left last week's episode figuring that the fourth hand was probably Junior's. But then the first three-quarters of this week's episode was so full of bang-you-over-the-head foreshadowing that I figured it had to be a bait-and-switch. I would have given the show real credit if, when Junior put his hand to the mini-dome/sphere, he was fried like Dodie was and then died. THAT would have shaken up my expectations.

I did like Big Jim's little sojourn to the outer island. I guess the universe provided an answer again. It'll be interesting to see how Maxine reacts when she discovers her mother went missing.

I was hoping that Barbie would just come clean to Julia, but I kind of liked this execution better. Instead of the expected screaming match followed by buckets of tears, we get the confrontation scene after Julia's had a bit of time to process things. Instead, it's more about these two people whose lives have been changed by a profound act helping each other fill in the pieces. That seemed right to me.

LOVED the astral projector out of the mini-dome. The one thing I think the show is getting right is that the scifi elements sprinkled throughout are REALLY weird. I don't have any idea where any of this is going, and that's just the way I want it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I liked the Barbie / Julia scene too. It was unexpected, but perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention because I was reading parts of a book at the time Julia and the deputy found the insurance policy in the vault. How did Julia make the leap to know her husband wanted to be killed? I bet Mare Winingham survives.I also liked the idea the dome is purgatory for some of the characters.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Junior isn't nuts (normally)...Just nuts because of the dome. Reverse what Junior thought of the girl he locked up. I also was glad the resolution between Barbie & Julia. Most shows would have her hate him and it be a big thing. She knew Barbie wouldn't kill anyone so easily. So that made the realization that he killed him a lot less horrifying.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Nelson Au said:
I liked the Barbie / Julia scene too. It was unexpected, but perhaps I wasn't paying close enough attention because I was reading parts of a book at the time Julia and the deputy found the insurance policy in the vault. How did Julia make the leap to know her husband wanted to be killed?
She found the recently purchased insurance policy and then went home and looked in her husband's gun case. The gun was missing but all of the bullets were there. She concluded that he engineered his own suicide to look like a murder to save the house and free her of the debts he incurred in gambling. I think that was the entirety of clues she found.

I find it interesting that Barbie told Julia in order to prevent Max from continuing to blackmail him by threatening to tell Julia. He's only partially solved the problem. Julia seems to be willing to accept him, but if Max tells the town it would be as bad or even worse. Barbie would be an admitted killer who is shacking up with the deceased's wife. He'd argue self defense, but the circumstances could indicate a wife and her lover engineering the death of the husband.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Charlie, that's how I saw it too. I wasn't looking when Julie found the insurance policy and only looked up in time to see her reaction to the policy, I wondered if there was more to it.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I caught this last episode after skipping one or two prior. I gave up on the show but someone happened to be watching it.

You killed my husband? You can still live in my house, but no more lies! Mmmm...kay...

How does this show get ratings?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting to think they're gonna pull a Game of Thrones and kill off the star of the show.This episode was far less terrible than most of the others.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see that one coming, Max shooting Julia and Big Jim shooting Max. I suspected Jim could shoot her, but somehow I didn't think they'd actually do it.Barbie's future does look dim, it will be interesting to see how they play that out.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was actually referring to:
Dean Norris's character. Yes, Big Jim has the upper hand now, but the dome wants the kids to kill him. And he's just royally pissed off the most lethal person in the entire town.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I didn't like the way they showed the sherrif in this episode. (I'll be vague since I don't know how to use spoilers in the mobile version)Her switching from mistrusting Jim to complete acceptance of everything he said was out of character. Even her lack of reaction to Jim broadcasting that Max was a 'reputable' business person. And her jumping to the conclusion about the identity of the first shooter (before talking to the eye-witness) felt wrong.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought the sheriff seemed to be "off" too. Could be misdirection.I also thought Junior didn't seem to be as crazy after the three others pulled him into the group to touch the mini dome and Maxy dome.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Sheriff is suddenly an idiot. When did Big Jim's home get a lake in the front yard? Is that a new water feature he installed in his free time?So many crazy people. At least it's thematic currently. Junior "loves" Angie. Jim "loves" his town. "Max" loves Barbie. This remains an aspect of the show I don't like. It's not bad. i give them credit for trying something different. But it's not to my taste. And the body count piles up. Under The Dome is the most relentlessly violent shows I've seen. I agree with all about Julia and Barbie's pragmatic reconciliation. I have no idea where this show is going. It's zany. The latest message from the dome to the 4-hands is unexpected. The multiple takes on the Monarch I don't know what to make of.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have watched three episodes now and i just cannot get into this show, it seems to be full of cliche's and since i know how the book ends i am giving up on the show, though i am wishing everyone else a good time from this, it's just not for me.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I also was annoyed how quickly the sheriff forgot was big Jim had one and was ready to go after Barbie. Not even to realize that Barbie went out of his way to save Julia.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It must be weird for people who are watching both "Breaking Bad" and "Under the Dome" live, every week to go in 24 hours from watching Dean Norris on one of the best shows on television to watching Dean Norris on one of the worst shows on television.

My problem is not with the end game that had Big Jim ascendant while Barbie's got the metaphorical noose around his neck. My problem is that the show acts like Big Jim was some sort of evil mastermind who engineered all of this. But the show never earned it. All of Big Jim's successes depended on the writers' manipulations. Character's personalities changed as necessary. People were conveniently absent, or conveniently appeared at just the precise moment to make the situation look completely different. The one townsperson says exactly what Big Jim needed him to say. I was waiting for the scene where he's revealed as a plant as Big Jim pays him off, but nope, it's just Big Jim's charisma apparently that forced all of that exposition into the man's mouth.
It's very difficult for me to invest in a show, if I don't believe the plot developments are earned. And they're basically never earned here. Shit just happens because the writers want it to happen.

I will be back next week for the finale, though, because I have to see the monarch crowned.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks