What's new

Under the Dome Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Non-spoilery comment: I like the touch that the dome is impervious to sound. If air doesn't move through it easily, it makes sense that sound wouldn't either.

Anti-spoiler (something in the show that will be different than the book):

According to King, the source of the dome is going to turn out to be different than the book.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Was totally into the Pilot. Haven't watched ep 2 yet. Wondering if Bruce Willis was first choice for the used-car guy, but they had to get a less expensive actor!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's nice for Amazon Prime subscribers to be able to stream the show, but CBS.com doesn't have the best way to get there.

I also thought there were a number of "idiot ball" moments in the second episode, namely burning the papers inside the house (and of course how quickly everything caught on fire).

I've never been in a situation where people start panicking and do stupid things, so some of the behavior, like the cop shooting the gun at the dome, I can accept.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Greg Kettell said:
Non-spoilery comment: I like the touch that the dome is impervious to sound. If air doesn't move through it easily, it makes sense that sound wouldn't either.
Air doesn't move easily through a closed window either, but someone inside can usually hear noises (birds, traffic, etc.) or people talking outside even with the window closed.

If they've established that small amounts of air and water can penetrate the dome, that would seem to make it even more permeable than your standard window glass.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Malcolm R said:
Air doesn't move easily through a closed window either, but someone inside can usually hear noises (birds, traffic, etc.) or people talking outside even with the window closed.

If they've established that small amounts of air and water can penetrate the dome, that would seem to make it even more permeable than your standard window glass.
A small amount of permeability would perhaps allow some small level of sound waves through, though perhaps barely if at all audible to human ears. The rigidity of the dome could otherwise prevent it from vibrating and acting as a sound transmission medium itself.

The nature of the dome is all pseudo science anyway since no known technology could make something like that, but it does make more sense to me than to have sound pass through easily.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
And can you really stop a house fire by bulldozing it?
It won't put it out, but it will help. Fires are fueled by heat and oxygen. The intact structure trapped the heat like a furnace while providing a source of oxygen to fuel the burn. By collapsing the structure, you smother a primary oxygen source while eliminating the heat trap. More importantly from their standpoint, it brings the fire down closer to the ground where it's more likely to burn itself out and less likely to jump to surrounding structures.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Greg Kettell said:
Anti-spoiler (something in the show that will be different than the book):
According to King, the source of the dome is going to turn out to be different than the book.
I am curious what that will be.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
I'm not sure that's really much of a spoiler, since it appears they intend for the timeline of the series to be quite different. Especially if it goes on for several seasons. Entertainment Weekly also revealed the book's timeline in an article a few weeks back when they were comparing differences between the book and the series.
From that article. Looks like they the show is built for multiple seasons and will not end at the end of the season.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The pilot episode was okay, but the second episode was total shiite. Really hate the psycho James character, tempted to fast-forward through any of his scenes.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was less enamored of the second episode as well and thought the house fire was pretty weak with the flames acting like the house was doused with accelerant. The idea of how to respond to a fire in a limited environment was fine and helps develop the plot line of a zero sum game under the dome, but I thought the execution was lacking.

And I agree with Patrick regarding Junior; I want to FF whenever he is on screen.

- Walter.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I struggled with the idea of starting a fire in the middle of a room in a house. No fireplace? Go outside. Who just lights fire in the middle of a house. That part totally took me out of it

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the dome is depriving people under the dome of oxygen to the brain, just enough to do really dumb things as a natural consequence as necessitated by the script... :mellow:

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Adam Lenhardt said:
It won't put it out, but it will help. Fires are fueled by heat and oxygen. The intact structure trapped the heat like a furnace while providing a source of oxygen to fuel the burn. By collapsing the structure, you smother a primary oxygen source while eliminating the heat trap. More importantly from their standpoint, it brings the fire down closer to the ground where it's more likely to burn itself out and less likely to jump to surrounding structures.
I suppose that makes sense, but I would also think that bulldozing a house fire could (at least initially) make it a lot worse. Kind of like when you move the logs around in a fireplace or campfire, initially the flame intensifies.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sam Posten said:
I forgot to DVR this, am I out of luck?
Sam, the answer to your question got buried in a multi-part post from someone else, but apparently Amazon Prime members can watch the series for free on their Prime Instant Video service. New episodes are available Friday after the original air date.

This is good for me, since it conflicts with other shows on my DVR, and Cox On-Demand's quality varies quite often, especially for CBS shows.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I saw the bulldozer more as an act and opportunity by Big Jim to further destroy the evidence.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Yeah, this show is bad. Jettisoning now. I'm 2/3 through the book (which is merely okay), so I'll stick with that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's that bad. But I can see how some people will start asking when things will start to happen, when will we be getting answers. I doubt we'll be getting any answers soon. But I can see this series going the way of many recent fantasy series and cancellation with a cliffhanger. What was that show called, where everyone one Earth suddenly lost conscienceness and lost a few minutes? It feels like this show will have the same outcome with the audience.I found it interesting that Big Jim probably knew that Barbie beat up his son and seemed to respect him. I thought for a bit Jim might be taking him out on the man hunt to kill him too. And Julia also has her suspicions more heightened of Barbie. But she seems to be drawn to him and his mysterious past.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah, this show's pretty terrible. Although the third episode wasn't as bad as the second. At least the scenes with the psycho kid weren't as unbearable. Kind of odd that no one else thought to check the tunnels before.

Who carries matches around with them?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,I appreciate your comments, as always. I was checking my guide last night to see if a show that I DVR was being aired, and it seems to have been replaced (at least for now) with Under the Dome. I haven't watched this show yet, because I was actually watching my DVR of Sunday night's episode of Falling Skies at the same time Under the Dome was being aired. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks