What's new

Uncharted series (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Uncharted vs Far Cry, which is better? I haven't played either, and for a while I thought they were the same game. But if I were to get one for the first time, what do you recommend?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They're totally different. One's a FPS (FarCry) and one is a third-person game that is much like Tomb Raider. I've not played Uncharted and only played the original FarCry, but FC3 was pretty highly rated. FC4 is called more of the same, but it looks good to me.

darkness2918

Second Unit
Real Name
Tony
DaveF said:
Uncharted vs Far Cry, which is better?I haven't played either, and for a while I thought they were the same game. But if I were to get one for the first time, what do you recommend?
It depends what you are looking for in a game. They offer very different experiences. Uncharted is 3rd person shooter with big set pieces & somewhat linear levels, a more cinematic type game. Far Cry is a 1st person shooter that's pretty much an open world game, go where you want, do what you want. Far Cry has more gameplay mechanics such as crafting, animal hunting, side missions & stuff so itll be a longer game then Uncharted. Both are great for different reasons, just pick whichever ones appeals to you more first.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
darkness2918 said:
Far Cry has more gameplay mechanics such as crafting, animal hunting, side missions & stuff so itll be a longer game then Uncharted. Both are great for different reasons, just pick whichever ones appeals to you more first.
Crafting? Does that mean you make ornaments and macrame owls and stuff like that? :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
darkness2918 said:
It depends what you are looking for in a game. They offer very different experiences. Uncharted is 3rd person shooter with big set pieces & somewhat linear levels, a more cinematic type game. Far Cry is a 1st person shooter that's pretty much an open world game, go where you want, do what you want. Far Cry has more gameplay mechanics such as crafting, animal hunting, side missions & stuff so itll be a longer game then Uncharted. Both are great for different reasons, just pick whichever ones appeals to you more first.
I'll have to give Uncharted a try next year. I've not played many third-person games (never got into Tomb Raider). But I enjoy scripted, cinematic game experiences.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
DaveF said:
I'll have to give Uncharted a try next year. I've not played many third-person games (never got into Tomb Raider). But I enjoy scripted, cinematic game experiences.
The Uncharted series is probably the single best scripted, cinematic game experience ever made. It's the very definition of a console-selling exclusive.

IMO of course. :) (Note: I have not played The Last of Us yet.)

Venomn

Agent
Real Name
Christopher Krug
I own The Uncharted Series on PS 3....GOTY Editions..and i will definately be buying Uncharted 4 as well...looks great

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I wonder if we'll get an Uncharted HD Trilogy release as a stopgap this Fall. That one seems obvious and only a matter of time, especially in light of how successful The Last of Us performed on the PS4.

Not a bad way to excite customers for Uncharted 4, plug a hole in their release schedule, and continue making money off these assets now that they've made about all they ever will in their original forms (Like what the Team Ico Collection on the PS3 was supposed to do for The Last Guardian).

And the later we go into this generation, the less excited people will be at seeing the visual jump these make after experiencing Uncharted 4 and other full PS4 creations. So quite possibly its best chance to maximize its success would be to release this year, rather than down the road when 1080p/60 fps versions of Uncharted 1-3 will be less impressive.

And I still hope that Sony will port Golden Abyss to the PS3 one of these days, similar to what often happened during the PS2's later days when the focus was on PSP conversions.

That one deserves the option of being enjoyed on the large screen and access to a wider audience.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If they were to port Uncharted 1-3 onto the PS4, they would have been working on it for a while already. It's not as simple as just running some code to make it work on the PS4. I wouldn't be surprised if they did this, but there would be more rumors about it. Before The Last of Us or GTAV came out, there were already rumors of a next-gen upgrade being made. Not really hearing anything like that for Uncharted 1-3.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Was there a very large jump in PQ in the "remastered" Last of Us? I don't know that an "HD" remake of the Uncharted games, which were in HD to begin with, would be as impressive as truly upgraded PS2 remakes like Ico.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Morgan Jolley said:
If they were to port Uncharted 1-3 onto the PS4, they would have been working on it for a while already.

Of course, but we don't know that they're not.

Aaron Silverman said:
Was there a very large jump in PQ in the "remastered" Last of Us? I don't know that an "HD" remake of the Uncharted games, which were in HD to begin with, would be as impressive as truly upgraded PS2 remakes like Ico.

Fully agreed, but plenty of people seemed excited just the same for some of these recent remasterings. GTA V I could understand since it was a bit too much for the 360 and PS3 to fully do justice to, but plenty seemed thrilled just the same with releases like The Last of Us on the PS4.

So I suspect that this one, a Mass Effect Trilogy, and a few others are shoe ins this generation. Just a question of when, even though the leap isn't going to be nearly as dramatic as most of the HD remasterings of the previous generation.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PS3 has a very different architecture from the PS4, so that alone requires a pretty significant effort. The Last of Us used a later version of the same game engine that was used on the Uncharted games (which itself improved from game to game) so a good portion of the work and knowledge is already done...maybe. TLoU also ran at 1080p and 60fps, which none of the Uncharted games came close to (they were all 720p and 30fps, at best).

Mass Effect and Uncharted would both be great series to bring to the current gen, especially since there are a large number of people switching console "allegiances" so far. That said...Uncharted 2 was phenomenal, 1 was ok, and 3 was a letdown. Mass Effect got better as it went on and is great as a whole, but the format of a trilogy would be 3 different and disjointed experiences since they wouldn't unify the experience to feel like just one really long story. (They've said in the past that it would be too difficult to do this.) So I'm not really excited about the prospect of either, personally.

And yet, I'd totally take another HD upgrade of Shadow of the Colossus.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yep, will definitely be getting this collection. And Bluepoint is handling the conversion! TLoU Remastered was fabulously done for PS4; can't wait to replay these games in 60fps.

But, ohhhhh, my poor, poor growing fall-backlog...

*weeps silently alone in a corner*

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
joshEH said:
Yep, will definitely be getting this collection. And Bluepoint is handling the conversion! TLoU Remastered was fabulously done for PS4; can't wait to replay these games in 60fps.

But, ohhhhh, my poor, poor growing fall-backlog...

*weeps silently alone in a corner*
Is it confirmed to be remastered ? Or will it just run in1080 P and 60fps?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks