What's new

Unable to get 7.1 output from Denon 3806 (1 Viewer)

vsankarv

Auditioning
Real Name
Sankar
I got a Denon AVR 3806 recently and I have a 7.1 speaker setup. But I am unable to get the 7.1 output working from the receiver.
The Denon has 10 speaker outputs FL, C, FR, SL-A, SR-A, SL-B, SR-B, SBL, SBR and Sub. This is what I did. I connected my speakers to the respective outputs and left the SL-B and SR-B empty. In the speaker config, I chose Surround B speakers to none and chose 2 speakers for Surround back speakers. But after doing this, when I go to the speaker test menu, I get no output from the surround back left and right speakers. In the power amp assign menu for surround back speakers, I have it assigned as surround back. Is there something else that I am missing? Is there some other setting that I have to do? I have read through the manual back and forth and I don't seem to get it to work. Please help.

PS: Please note that the wiring for surround back is correct and I get a 5.1 output (in those speakers) when I connect to surround back speakers as surrournd B speakers and setting the mode to A+B.

V JACKSON

Agent
You will not get 7.1 surround unless your source material/dvd is encoded in 6.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Also make sure your dvd player and or satellite/cable box are hooked up using toslink/fiber-optic or digital coaxial connections to the receiver, and that the output settings are set to Dolby Digital & DTS.............................

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L

That is incorrect, the receiver will matrix the surround back channel with standard 5.1 tracks and just as well DTS Neo:6 and Dolby Pro Logic IIx matrix 6.1 from 2 channel sources.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
That is also incorrect. As he said, his receiver has 10 speaker outputs. Denon provides 2 sets of surround outputs, A & B (B is not "surround back") so that a user can use 2 different sets of surround speakers, separately, if he so chooses; ie. a diffusing set of dipoles for movies and a set of direct radiators for multichannel music. I know it seems weird, but that's why there are surround A & B outputs. They can't be used simultaneously, btw.

The OP has his speakers connected properly and, as far as I can tell from his post, has his receiver set up properly, too.

vsankarv

Auditioning
Real Name
Sankar

Like I mentioned, there are two sets of surround speakers A & B apart from the surround back speakers. But I am not getting any output through my surround back speakers even though I have connected them to the correct output socket. I am still not sure as to why though.

Also, Scott, what did you mean by diffusing set of dipoles??? Hope I don't need any extra hardware that I need to switch between for movies and music etc? Is a home theater setup this complicated?

vsankarv

Auditioning
Real Name
Sankar

Seth,
what button are you talking about and what panel are you referring here?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
What I'm saying is that Denon gives you 2 sets (A+B) of surround outputs (I'm not referring to the surround back outputs) to allow the user the capability, if he so desires, to have 2 different sets of surround speakers in a 5.1 setup; one set for movies and one set for music. What sort of surround speakers you prefer is a personal preference. Some people prefer a "surround-specific" speaker that produces a more diffuse sound for movies. Direct radiating monopoles are recommended for music. I prefer direct radiators, regardless.

So, no you don't NEED any extra hardware, especially since you're doing a 7.1 setup anyway. Denon just includes that flexibility for someone who might be anal or wealthy enough to use separate rear speakers for movies vs. music in a 5.1 setup. In all honesty, I've never known of anyone who takes advantage of this feature.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Does the calibration tones mode actually display that it is playing the SBL and SBR speakers and allow you to adjust the levels when it cycles through the tones? If not, there is definitely something wrong in the menu setup for the receiver. Double check that you have assigned SB->On for all sources. If it does display that it is playing the SBL+R tones, then there is something wrong with the wiring. Triple check the wiring from speaker to receiver, you may have missed something on your previous checks, no matter how thorough. Third possibility is a faulty receiver if the previous stuff checks out.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Your initial setup was correct. I have the 4802 with the same setup 7.1. I'm not sure of the OSD on the 3806 but on the 4802 when going into the test tone the OSD shows the 7 Speakers and 1 Sub with the respective Level (equilizer looking) bar graph.

Check page 33 of your manual. Make sure that Matrix is set to ON for Dolby Digital and DTS+Neo6.

Also Follow the Test tone (page 77) the OSD should show your 7 speakers and sub. and page 78 when in manual mode or even in auto you should get the test tones through all 7 speakers with the exact setup that you started with. Keep your Speaker setting as you had them.

Double check the Power amp assignment if your SB's are not working. Also a good way to check if the setup is correct is play any source and go to 7 channel stereo. If your not getting sound from all 7 speakers something is either set wrong or there is a Defective Amp.

For the heck of it change the Power amp assingment for SB to Zone2. Turn on the Radio and tune to a station. Turn on Zone2 as if our SB speakers were in another room. You should have the Radio playing in the surround Back speakers. Even when you turn the main power off Zone2 (the surround back speakers with the amp assigned to zone2 should be playing the radio station) If it's not then there is something wrong with the SB/Zone2 outputs.

If the Zone2 test works the go back and change the Amp Assignment to SB and not Zone2 (this was just to do a troubleshooting test) let us know the results.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
Good post, homthtr. Thanks.

Didn't mean to stray from the OP's questions and concerns.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
On the receiver there is a flip-down panel, it says Denon Link on the panel. After flipping it down to the right of the cursur and enter keys, at the bottom is a button that says surround back, try pressing that. If I remember correctly, it is an overide funtion that allows 5.1 material to be played back in 6.1 or 7.1 matrixed surround. The function may only be temporary.

Also try what homthtr said about the matrix activation. This will likely make a standard setting that doesn't change when the receiver is put into standby, unlike the before mentioned surround back button.

V JACKSON

Agent

Seth, before you "correct" me, I understand the difference between "matrix" and true 6.1 or 7.1 surround and my answer referred to "true" DDEX/DTSES encoded material not "matrix" surround.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The OP is not getting output from his surround backs, so stating that he wouldn't get 7.1 was irrelevant anyway, at least in the search to find the problem. Not to mention DDEX, and DTS-ES do not support 7.1 in the first place.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Actually, DD-EX does matrix the back surround channel into the side surrounds in much the way Pro-Logic matrixes the mono surround channel into the left and right fronts. DTS-ES does the same. Only DTS-ES Discrete has a true discrete back surround channel. Also, as has been stated, there is no 7.1 format.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
There is 7.1 on Blu-Ray, I believe. It is 7.1 LPCM if I remember correctly.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve

I believe this was the original question. But I'm sure the bitch session above has scared the member away.

Getting back to the question... has the above (minus a few posts) fixed anything yet?

pimpin2007

Auditioning
Real Name
Mac
I had the same problem as you and have been trying to fix it for a week now and I stummbled across the answer.

Make sure you have a Dolby Digital sourse playing on your receiver (DVD with 5.1 on)

THEN GO TO: SYSTEM SETUP>

SPEAKER SETUP >

SPEAKER CONFIG >

and just TURN ON SURROUND BACK CHANNELS!1 or 2 as needed
(Bottom list of speakers)

Oh you got to love it how simple it sounds but how hard it was to figure it out. I thought my receiver was faqed but I'm back in full volume and hope to hear that you are too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks