What's new

"Un chien andalou" on dvd ? (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Jan, I'm not familiar with any DVD versions of "Un chien Andalou", currently or planned, but I'm talking R1/R0 only.

However -- and this is very exciting news -- Kino plans to release L'Age d'Or on DVD on July 8! If you're not familiar, this is Bunuel's followup to "Andalou", is feature-length and every bit as wildly surrealistic as his first film. Not as well-known today, but easily as scandalous as "Andalou" upon it's release... and, IMO, a superior film!

Of course, including "Un chien Andalou" as a bonus would certainly be nice!

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
That's wonderful news! One would have hoped for a Criterion release but this will do. Hopefully the transfer will be up to scratch.

Great news.

I haven't even seen "Un chien andalou", but was intrigued by the two short clips that's on Criterion's "Spellbound".

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Kino plans to release L'Age d'Or on DVD on July 8!
Great news!

Jan, the Criterion DVD release of Bunuel's "Discrete Charm of the Bourgoise" includes a stunning feature length documentary about Bunuel that includes scenes from a lot of his early work, including Un Chien Andalou and L'Age d'Or.

I understand that there may be rights/legal issues preventing it from happening, but it would make amazing sense for Kino to somehow be able to include Un chien andalou as an extra.

~j

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Whoah! I don't have a japanese language set installed at work, can anyone tell whether that's region 0? (I presume it's NTSC, right?)

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Quote (originally posted by Rich Malloy):

"However -- and this is very exciting news -- Kino plans to release L'AGE D'OR on DVD on July 8! If you're not familiar, this is Bunuel's followup to ANDALOU, is feature-length and every bit as wildly surrealistic as his first film. Not as well-known today, but easily as scandalous as ANDALOU upon it's release... and, IMO, a superior film!

Of course, including UN CHIEN ANDALOU as a bonus would certainly be nice!"

Unfortunately, I believe I'll be the bearer of sad news! Just yesterday I e-mailed Kino asking about their upcoming L'AGE D'OR (1930) DVD, specifically in regards to what supplements they were planning, and this is what they replied:

"L'AGE D'OR is now postponed till around November as we are checking material and trying to find things to go with it.

UN CHIEN is already taken but there are many other interesting things we might put with it."

This is in itself not ALL bad, as it seems that they at least do not intend to release a bare-bones DVD, which would be a wasted opportunity, considering the controversy which greeted the film's release, its importance in Bunuel's canon, and also the fact that it is barely over an hour long!

I just have to wonder at this point: who owns UN CHIEN ANDALOU (1929)?

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

The Down side--Disappointing news about the delay. Also, Un Chien Andalou would have been the perfect pairing with L'Age d'Or. I'm also curious about who has the rights to Un Chien Andalou (please let it be Criterion--maybe to supplement a release like Tristana!).

The Up side--the delay gives me more cash to spend on the Chaplin releases . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks