What's new

Ultraviolet: What do you like and not like about it? (1 Viewer)

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Jason Charlton said:
Can you offer any insight as to how that membership number is determined?  I'm curious since it seems there's a very high likelihood that a single "user" may have multiple UV-related accounts (different movie studios, streaming services, etc.)
I still have five separate logins, judging from the old "Your account has been created" e-mails I just found in my Gmail "All Mail" folder. Am I five users, or one user, I wonder? And do they even care about me since I abandoned Ultraviolet almost immediately? I don't think I've used it since the first UV titles came out. These are legitimate questions, by the way.
TonyD said:
Jason why are you trying to introduce actual facts into this?
What actual facts? The thing about the growth rate? Who cares. That's not even what was being discussed. It has three times the growth rate of DVD. That's fantastic. Considering that it's free to sign up for an account and you get movies free with Blu-rays and whatnot, and that DVDs used to cost a really significant amount of money*, I'm not surprised. Besides, something can be used by a lot of people and still suck. Look at cigarettes :) *No joke, when cleaning my old room at my parents house over Christmas, I found a receipt for the first DVD I ever purchased. In the summer of 2000, I bought the original CLERKS release (not even the cool CLERKS X release) for $49.99. And I remember thinking "Holy hell, what a bargain!"

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is why, despite my interest, I never actually went through with my own registration Matt. I'd be used as a statistic FOR the service despite being dubious about it's effectiveness. I'm not going to say I will NEVER sign up for it, I still have hopes they will get their @%@ together, but until they do I'm not going to be a guinea pig when the Digital Downloads work perfectly for me the way I want them to. I have 15 UV codes stocked and ready for the day that happens. Or until I can get the studios to honor them for iTunes downloads instead. I'm not holding my breath.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Warner Brothers just announced that uber UV fan Kevin Tsujihara is their new CEO. Edit: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/28/3925212/digital-maven-kevin-tsujihara-named-as-new-ceo-of-warner-bros-entertainment

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Only actual UV accounts are counted as users, not streaming sites. This does not include sub accounts, only main accounts, so unless you have more than one actual UV account then you are just counted as one user. If you do actually have more than one UV account, you can merge them together into one account. I have actually done that a few times with friends accounts so we can share movies that they got when they signed up. You can do this at http://www.uvvu.com As for UV being clunky, I would say that it's more that using flixster as your UV provider is pretty bad. But UV and flixster are separate. Using Vudu as your UV provider is a big improvement! I have never had any trouble redeeming, purchasing, streaming, or downloading movies with vudu. They also have the Disc to Digital service which makes it super easy to get DVD's that didn't come with digital copies into my UV locker. And the quality is very close to that of Blu-ray. And they have apps for every device you could imagine. Also, as much as Sam has knocked UV, I am surprised to find out that he hasn't even created an account yet!!! So now I know he is just relying on reviews of the Ultra-Violet, most of which were written back in the days when flixster was the only option for UV streaming. Now there are several other services, but vudu is still the best. If you just decide to use vudu, instead of flixster for your UV needs, I think you will enjoy it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Why would I support a system that has broadcast its intentions to (perhaps illegally) dismantle a system I prefer and kill rental at the same time? And how are you so sure on your first statement? Where is that stated publicly

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Because if you actually had used the system you criticize so often, you would have more credibility. Because right now you just sound like an ass who has no idea what he is talking about.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
i wonder, do i have to use UV to know that i do not want it? I mean, i know i do not want my back waxed. Sometimes, you can know you do not want to do something, without doing it. Pretty sure i would hate UV too. I watch Blu-ray or DVD.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Because according to UV are no unhappy users. Once you are in their system you are a statistic that is for the program. No. I can live with that making me seem uninformed in your view. And you still didnt answer the second question. You continue to deny being an insider or shill and talk like someone who has inside information that has not been posted. That's how you seem in my view.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Agreed. For his sake, I hope he's a UV insider. If not, I wish I could love something half as much in my life as he seems to love UV :)

lizardbreath

Auditioning
Real Name
Elizabeth A Adams
I think when I spoke to VUDU one of several times, this gentleman was telling me how he and his co-workers had linked their accounts so that they ALL have access to each others library. So instead odd watching just the movies he purchased he has access to many other libraries that are owned by others. I think that is awesome. I have offered to pay the 2.00 for UV copy of others movies for giving them access to my digital library, but with the linking I would be able to have access for free. It is kinda like P2P.

sbuberl

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
lizardbreath said:
I think when I spoke to VUDU one of several times, this gentleman was telling me how he and his co-workers had linked their accounts so that they ALL have access to each others library. So instead odd watching just the movies he purchased he has access to many other libraries that are owned by others. I think that is awesome. I have offered to pay the 2.00 for UV copy of others movies for giving them access to my digital library, but with the linking I would be able to have access for free. It is kinda like P2P.
Yeah, you can merge UV accounts (as of the summer or so). So people can merge their UV account with another existing UV account, and become a sub-user on the merged account. And every user on the merged account can see each other movies. However, there is no way to split your movies back out if you wanted to (yet).

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by lizardbreath
I have offered to pay the 2.00 for UV copy of others movies for giving them access to my digital library
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Yeah that doesn't sound legit....
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60
Is that, strictly speaking, legal? Or is it just something that you can do?
Sounds eerily like some sort of digital pyramid scheme to me. Lizardbreath - you paid $2. Has anyone offered to pay you $2 for your contributions to the "library"?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by sbuberl
Yeah, you can merge UV accounts (as of the summer or so). So people can merge their UV account with another existing UV account, and become a sub-user on the merged account. And every user on the merged account can see each other movies. However, there is no way to split your movies back out if you wanted to (yet).
Another ancillary benefit is to further dilute your ownership of your very own catalog of movies! Yes!

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Of course it is legal. It's a feature of UV. Sam, you really just don't know what you are talking about at all, when it comes to UV. You obviously have some sort of an ax to grind. What did UV ever do to you? You obviously don't want to use UV. You've never used it. So ignore it. Why must you try to make everyone else hate it too? Go enjoy your Blu-ray's and your iTunes. UV should not hurt your enjoyment of those in any way. Let other's have what makes them happy. And the whole point of UV is to encourage ownership. The DECE members have repeatedly said that. That is why your UV rights NEVER expire. And, from the UV FAQ http://uvvu.com/faqs.php 14. How many people can share my UltraViolet account? You may share your UltraViolet account with up to 5 other people, and each member can have their own sign-in name/password, parental control settings, and other personalized details. 17. Can I merge two separate UltraViolet accounts? Account members with full permissions can merge two accounts. To merge two accounts, sign into one account at uvvu.com go to Account Settings (in the Our Account section) and select "Merge Two Accounts". Follow the steps to complete the merge. You'll be asked to sign in to the second account, so be sure a full access member of that account is available to provide the sign-in name and password.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK that's not exactly what was described. I do admit that the Linked accounts is semi neat as long as you can unlink in the future. There's a big difference between that and pooling codes into a single account that is shared between multiple people.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Joshua Clinard said:
You obviously have some sort of an ax to grind. What did UV ever do to you?
I've linked this in every thread... I didn't start the war to kill rental. They did. I didn't suggest that the studios collude/conspire to create price fixing, they did.
He said there needs to be discussion among studios regarding pricing of packaged media, including the fact that DVD prices currently are too high at retail, especially for library product. Lang also said studios should not advocate the transactional VOD rental model. “If you really want that film, you should buy it and not rent,” he said. “It doesn’t make any sense to rent it for 24 hours.”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/miramax-ceo-ultraviolet-we-have-244448

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks