What's new

Ultraviolet: What do you like and not like about it? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And if the MPAA blows off Pogue, what chances do customers have?
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120824/01254520142/mpaa-pretends-offering-something-is-same-thing-as-offering-what-people-want.shtml

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Apple is the one you should be complaining to. UV Is compatible with many different types of DRM and Apple could join the UV system if it wanted to.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I assume you mean Apple does not need UV. And youu are right in one way, but who cares what apple needs? I am more interested in what the consumer wants. I myself would love to be able to watch and save my films on my computer with iTunes. But apple is a greedy company and wants everyone to buy their movies again from their store when they have already paid for them once or twice, or even more in some cases. I am tired of buying the same film over and over.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Joshua Clinard said:
But apple is a greedy company and wants everyone to buy their movies again from their store when they have already paid for them once or twice, or even more in some cases. I am tired of buying the same film over and over.
I don't understand how that's different than Ultraviolet.
I don't understand why you consider a five dollar "upgrade" fee somehow different from purchasing the same movie over again, only for five dollars.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You don't have to buy any of the digital copies from iTunes.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
In fact I have over 40 iTunes movies and have never paid a cent for them directly to Apple. All of them have been bundled in with disks.
I can't wait to see people's arguments when these become viewable from a simple web browser, that clearly has to happen. Then what?

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Why would anyone want to watch ANYTHING from a Web browser? I haven't even watched YouTube videos on YouTube in probably a year.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
You don't see the difference between paying a 5.00 upgrade fee for a 1020p copy of a film you have on DVD, and paying 22.00 for a digital copy from iTunes? You must be joking!
Why can't you just admit that UV has a lot of advantages for people who own a lot of DVD's who want to upgrade to Hi-Def, and who want to watch their movies anytime, anywhere, on any device? Why are you afraid of a little competition! You can have your iTunes, but don't take away my UV!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Eh, I prefer Youtube in a browser as to Leanback.. Leanback doesn't quite have the convenient search and organization tools I enjoy.. it needs more work.

That having been said, I quite like Vudu. I have about 30+ movies in Vudu, and I've never done this dance of going to some studio website/whatever.. pretty much, if I bought a movie at Walmart that has the Vudu label, I go to Vudu, type in the code, and there it is. I get where people talk about the hitches of UV, etc. and all the websites.. never done it - that sounds like a PITA, and pretty stupid. But everything I've ever done with Vudu, including Hunger Games, etc. i just went to Vudu and entered the code. I never did any of this other stuff. And the Vudu content plays fine on my PS3, my iPad, and desktop. I tend to prefer the quality, actually as well. Heck, there are several $7.50 Blurays I bought at walmart that came with free Vudu. But to each their own.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Joshua Clinard said:
You don't see the difference between paying a 5.00 upgrade fee for a 1020p copy of a film you have on DVD, and paying 22.00 for a digital copy from iTunes? You must be joking!
Yeah. One is cheaper. That's it.
You're still buying the same thing again. They were just smart enough to call it an "upgrade fee," which evidently was a brilliant piece of marketing that deserves to be recognized for how effective it is.
I, also, have never purchased a digital copy from iTunes and I've got over 100 sitting on my hard drive right now.
mattCR said:
I get where people talk about the hitches of UV, etc. and all the websites.. never done it - that sounds like a PITA, and pretty stupid. But everything I've ever done with Vudu, including Hunger Games, etc. i just went to Vudu and entered the code. I never did any of this other stuff. And the Vudu content plays fine on my PS3, my iPad, and desktop. I tend to prefer the quality, actually as well. Heck, there are several $7.50 Blurays I bought at walmart that came with free Vudu. But to each their own.
Yeah, the actual process of importing stuff directly into Vudu seems pretty painless. Full disclosure: I've never done it, as I've sworn off Ultraviolet, but I use the Vudu app on my PS3 for trailers and rentals and whatnot and I quite like it. The quality is pretty great, too. From everything I've read, Vudu is not the issue here.
By association, I think that means that the Walmart program must be pretty painless (once you get past the part where you have to find and speak to someone who works at Walmart) as it just goes straight to Vudu, doesn't it?
When you remove Vudu from the equation and try to redeem an Ultraviolet code that you got through a Blu-ray, that's when everything seems to kind of spectacularly go straight to hell.
Of the five Ultraviolet codes that I redeemed (before I just started selling them all), all of which came from new release Blu-rays purchased on day one, two weren't available in Vudu at all. Three were, but one of those was in standard definition only. Not great odds.
Seriously, though, I highly recommend selling the UV codes on eBay. I got $7.50 for JAWS last week. It's a nice way to take a little money off the price of a new Blu-ray. I'd rather it go to someone who wants it for whatever reason than into the bottom of my garbage can.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think the thing with UV or whatever is: "eh". I care about VuDu because walmart tends to throw it in on tons of the stuff I buy. That's now technically Ultraviolent since Vudu redeems those too. So I may be talking Apples/Oranges. Just kind of like how Amazon gives out digital copies on Amazon if you buy through Amazon.
This to me seems the real solution rather then a solution to a non-existant problem. I can play Vudu anywhere on anything I bought from Walmart. Extra cost to me: zero. I can use the Amazon player on any device I have with any title I bought on Amazon. Cost to me: zero. The only way the iTunes thing sucks is if you have no apple devices.. then I get it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Right, but you aren't counting on the visceral hatred some people have for Apple. Like literal* boiling blood at how greedy and monopolistic and uncaring and WRONG Apple is.
When you count that in it makes perfect sense.
(ie NOT literal)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Sam Posten said:
AGREED. See, I even noted Apple's Fair Play in my post. You guys keep wanting to put words in my mouth that aren't there to try to push this rotten system, but it isn't helping.
BUT, your position may be on shaky ground, tho it is too early to tell. The EU has mandated that such transactions (for games anyway, to start) be counted as sales with the consumer rights that go along with them. It's off to a slow start and who know's if we will get those rights in America any time soon, but it is a glimmer of hope.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/03/crikey-eu-rules-you-can-resell-downloaded-games/
If I remember correctly, there is also another site which allows users to buy and sell their used digital copies with other users. Digital copies from iTunes or their site. The site did not buy the used digital copies, but allows users to transact between each other. Capitol tried suing, but the service won.
I guess it goes back to the first sale doctrine which states if you buy something, you own it and can resell it. You buy a car / sofa / shirt / TV / etc. and you can sell it to a neighbor / on ebay / garage sale / or give it to Goodwill.
The issue among us is that most industry associations and entertainment companies just don't believe consumers should have ownership of their digital property.
I really can't get excited about buying any digital copies. I've bought a few cheap apps, some digital singles. Bought 2-3 full albums, but only cause I love the artist & the albums were out of print. But most of the digital stuff is perceived by most everyone as "should be CHEAP" and essentially worthless.
UV ? meh.
I see subscriptions (Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, etc.) as a popular new model going forward for a lot of people. I see BDs & other physcial media lasting much longer than many people predict. Companies will sell $20 BDs of popular movies to movie lovers forever. But to the average Joe.. he will subscribe or "rent" but I don't see them paying more than $1 - $3 for digital whatever. Other than this forum, I don't think I've heard mention of UV in months.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
You cannot sell iTunes media. Movies, Apps. are embedded with your account information, and will only play on devices that are registered with your account.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Joshua Clinard /t/320930/ultraviolet-what-do-you-like-and-not-like-about-it/60#post_3968359
You cannot sell iTunes media. Movies, Apps. are embedded with your account information, and will only play on devices that are registered with your account.
But you can sell the CODE before you cash it in. If you've cashed it in, then yeah, it can't go anywhere

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Joshua Clinard said:
But David had said there was a way to sell your used digital copies, on a website.
Yes I did. It's called Redigi. I have not tried it or used it, but is up and running. www.redigi.com
They apparently fought off a lawsuit from Capitol.
http://newsroom.redigi.com/redigi-wins-major-victory-in-court-hearing-over-pre-owned-digital-music-capitol-records-emi-vs-redigi/
Perhaps they will face more, but for now, you can read all about them especially in the "news" section of their site where they link to other articles from Billboard and elsewhere.
I have no experience with it but it is interesting and really should be considered a reality in the sense that when you "buy" products, you should own them. The entertainment industry has sold, VHS, 8mm films, Laserdiscs, cassettes, 8-tracks, mini discs, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays and more. Now they are selling digital copies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks