What's new

Ultraviolet: What do you like and not like about it? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As I said, I use Flixter as I am able to stream the uv movies in hi def on my Xbox 360. Can I use both flixter and Vudu?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well whaddya know. I just linked my Vudu account with uv and can now also stream my films in 1080p thru my PS3. This just keeps getting better.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Vudu is much better than flixster, in many ways, especially their Disc to Digital program. You should definitely try it out if you have a library of DVD's.

P

Patrick Donahue

Joshua Clinard said:
Vudu is much better than flixster, in many ways, especially their Disc to Digital program. You should definitely try it out if you have a library of DVD's.
Especially with the 50% off D2D sale running until Jan 31. There is no time like the present to try UV

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Its still not a finished product, and probably never will be with ever evolving technology. That said I have been using Ultraviolet for several months, have 300+ movies and have had no issues at all unless you include a movie not reading right in the D2D program, which is in beta.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
One of these things is not like the other....
Tino said:
But Sam we keep telling you it's not flawed and very easy to use. There is no mess. At this point I don't get your resistance to just try it. What harm can there be in doing that?
Joshua Clinard said:
CinemaNow and Flixster are missing several from my collection, but not vudu. There are some TV seasons and a couple movies from small studio's such as The Weinstein Company that don't have UV status on their site because they don't yet have a UV licence with those companies. A UV licence is sold separate from a digital licence in some cases. So, no, the service is not perfect yet.
Its still not a finished product, and probably never will be with ever evolving technology.
Why does it have to be perfect for me to use it? Because there is already a competing product that works better for me (REAL downloads is just one example) and isn't designed to kill the rental market the way UV is.

And because that program is run by people who put the customer ahead of the studios, the retailers and the service itself. I use Amazon and Netflix too, neither of those is perfect either, but neither of them has the flaws or baggage that UV does.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
If you plan to use apple products exclusively, there is nothing wrong with using itunes. I'm sure there is a large crowd that will never leave apples garden. The diehards will always appose anything not branded apple, its what they have been taught to do, again nothing wrong with that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's the thing, I don't. I use Apple (Mac, iPhone, iPad, ATV), PC, Bluray decks, PS3 Xbox, 4 Android devices currently and more. I'm fine with the fact that my digital copies are all on the Apple side, that's not even a consideration for me. Because it just works and has for 8+ years.

Would I like a cross platform solution? SURE. But if I'm going to embrace one of those it has to just work across all of those platforms with a minimal of hassles and it has to respect me as a customer. Amazon has. Netflix has. UV does not.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
What big advantage does Amazon have that Vudu doesn't? You pointed out a flaw that it doesn't have "real downloads." Well that applies to Amazon more than UV. At least UV has a plan to offer cross platform downloads that will play with any application that supports the UV format. Amazon has no such plans in the works. They also have no app available in the Android app store because they want you to buy the kindle. Apple does the same thing with their platform. UV is not restrictive at all, Apple and Amazon are. How does that respect you as the customer. I think your whole argument is just nutty.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think at this point Sam's mind is made up. And to think I was on his side two weeks ago. ;)I love iTunes and now I also love UV. Who'd a thunk?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Tino said:
I think at this point Sam's mind is made up. And to think I was on his side two weeks ago. ;)

I love iTunes and now I also love UV. Who'd a thunk?
Namely, because they have two different functions--
I can use iTunes on hard-file devices if I'm traveling in places that don't have connectivity (do they still let you use your mobiles on airplanes?), and if they do, I have UV. The right tool for the right job, neither more nor less.

Sam is trying to impress us with his stubborn desire NOT TO BE FOOLED!! by the latest gimmick that THE BIG CORPORATIONS are trying to SHOVE DOWN OUR THROATS!, but ends up sounding like the 3D haters who think that if they stamp their feet loud and long enough, they can make the "con job" go away.
Now, as for studios thinking UV is going to replace disk, yes, that's sad, silly, giggleworthy and utterly without a reasonable grasp on the real world, but that's the studio's lesson to learn. The rest of us know the difference between a hammer and a nail, and to say "You won't take away MY disk! I'll fight you, so there!" is to subscribe to the same loopy fantasy-world that the studios live in...Uh, wow, they sure didn't fool you, did they? :rolleyes:

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Joshua Clinard said:
For digital movies, vudu is the best streaming service available! Vudu's UV catalog is the deepest there is. CinemaNow and Flixster are missing several from my collection, but not vudu. There are some TV seasons and a couple movies from small studio's such as The Weinstein Company that don't have UV status on their site because they don't yet have a UV licence with those companies. A UV licence is sold separate from a digital licence in some cases. So, no, the service is not perfect yet. I expect those issues to be worked out. (If you redeem those movies on vudu, instead of flixster, they will still be added to your library) They have been making a lot of improvements along the way. But what service is perfect, in this day and age. iTunes isn't perfect either. I continue to hear random cases where a movie would disappear from someone's library, or be removed from icloud. Why does a service have to be perfect for you to use it? If you could get some enjoyment out of it, for example by letting your kids view your movies on a mobile device, wouldn't it be worth it?
Lots of movies on UV in HD that are not on Bluray. Im very happy with Vudu so far. I also would like ot mention that the long discussed UV CFF is finally coming. BTW.. I can download my UV films to my ipad and watch on the go WITHOUT being connected in any way to the internet. Some on here who do not use the service suggest that you must indeed be connected to the internet in some way on your mobile device and i can tell you that is FALSE!

Many on here including myself (I used to purchase from itunes but no longer since support seems to be waning form the studios). have come around to UV over the past several months. Many companies are jumping on. Target will be making their video service UV compatiable. Want 4K? Sony is going the UV route with their buy to own UltraHD service later this year.
As my wise teacher once told me "Dont knock it until you try it".

BTW... I am also an avid and happy physical media collector with over 11,000 films to my name.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Ejanss said:
Namely, because they have two different functions--
I can use iTunes on hard-file devices if I'm traveling in places that don't have connectivity (do they still let you use your mobiles on airplanes?), and if they do, I have UV. The right tool for the right job, neither more nor less.

Sam is trying to impress us with his stubborn desire NOT TO BE FOOLED!! by the latest gimmick that THE BIG CORPORATIONS are trying to SHOVE DOWN OUR THROATS!, but ends up sounding like the 3D haters who think that if they stamp their feet loud and long enough, they can make the "con job" go away.
Now, as for studios thinking UV is going to replace disk, yes, that's sad, silly, giggleworthy and utterly without a reasonable grasp on the real world, but that's the studio's lesson to learn. The rest of us know the difference between a hammer and a nail, and to say "You won't take away MY disk! I'll fight you, so there!" is to subscribe to the same loopy fantasy-world that the studios live in...Uh, wow, they sure didn't fool you, did they? :rolleyes:
and its not.. studios still releasing in 3D. :)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
That's the thing, I don't. I use Apple (Mac, iPhone, iPad, ATV), PC, Bluray decks, PS3 Xbox, 4 Android devices currently and more. I'm fine with the fact that my digital copies are all on the Apple side, that's not even a consideration for me. Because it just works and has for 8+ years.

Would I like a cross platform solution? SURE. But if I'm going to embrace one of those it has to just work across all of those platforms with a minimal of hassles and it has to respect me as a customer. Amazon has. Netflix has. UV does not.
Netflix is RENTAL. UV is Sell thru. Two different beasts.

cinemaparker

Auditioning
Real Name
Terrence
Picked up The Departed on Blu yesterday and of course, the UV code has to be activated through Flixster, which I don't have anymore.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
cinemaparker said:
Picked up The Departed on Blu yesterday and of course, the UV code has to be activated through Flixster, which I don't have anymore.
But but but Josh and Tower assured me that doesn't happen. How can this be???

P

Patrick Donahue

cinemaparker said:
In my experience, you can enter that code in whichever service you choose and it will still work.

cinemaparker

Auditioning
Real Name
Terrence
The activation code is redeemed through the WB website and the URL ends in /flixster. Still fuming too much to figure out a workaround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks