What's new

Ultimate Star Trek: TNG Case... (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, a week before it's official release, Star Trek: TNG season 2 is ready for download right here! Thanks again Parker! I also sent them to Matt at DVD Cover Art, but as Dave pointed out, his site appears to be down again. He's out of town this week so it may be awhile before it gets back up. Let's hope it's just a temporary setback.
BTW Dave, I visited your Megaplex and it Rocks! I'm comin' over with some friends...
-Ric

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I need help with my Farscape covers. I'm looking for a pic of Crichton in a "NASA publicity shot" pose. At this point, I'll settle for one out of the spacesuit

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Wow, yer that close? I'm just over the border near Albany! Fire up that projector for Best of Both Worlds Parts 1 and 2 in a few months! I'll bring the beers!

-Ric

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well it's a rear screen. A Mits 65807 TNG looks Alright on it, but I find 4x3 material does not look as good on the set as 16x9 enhanced, despite the stretch mode. And the line doubler does'nt do a great job on video sourced disks. I usually watch TNG on my 32" Direct View. Althou I would make an exception for BOBW !

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Ric, I just saw your question about covers

I would prefer NO characters on the cover. Just the ship. I really hate "Look at my noggin" style covers, which is why I won't be using yours for my TNG discs (no offense)

I'm busy gathering material for my DS9 covers right now.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I like the characters on the Covers Let's Face it the characters are the Show, now the Enterprise is a character as well so a Cover given to it would be fine too, Maybe Rick can do what he did with the TOS covers and have the characters on Set 1-6 and the Enterprise in all her glory on the Seventh. The ships I thought played less of a role in TNG than TOS. Look at how many times Kirk Wailed about losing his ship and how he equated it as a beautiful lady. So it's Loss in Trek III hit hard. I never really felt any of tha character in TNG, down to Picard, treated the Enterprise as anything more than a tool, so it's loss in Generations was less of a deal.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I personally prefer the cast shots as the individual faces take away from characters that will never merit being on the front cover alone like Wesley, Guinan, Tasha, or Pulaski.

Have others appeared in the annual cast shot? O'brien? Ro Laren?

That said, barring discovery of a cover with the cast shot, I'll be using Ric's covers as I quite like the spine.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's not that Ships have to be on the cover, I just find minimalism to be the best way to go. Just the logo and a huge com badge with nebulae etc inside of the badge outline would be great.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Wow, where were you guys a month or two ago? I had been a little on the fence about group shots vs big ol face shots. I don't know if I ever wanted to do whole cast shots because they would get to be pretty small on the cover. That being said, I did kinda like the groupings I did for TOS. It looks like I am pretty much dedicated to the head shots now, unless you think I can go on to group shots from here on out, or after Data.

Pulaski, O'Brien and Ro would never make the big head shots since we only have seven seasons it would be: Picard, Riker, Data, Dr. Crusher, Geordi, Deanna, and Worf. Of course I also can't save a nice Enterprise shot for the end unless I do at least one grouping, or putting two on season 6, like Deanna and Worf.

I can't really do alternate versions since I'm already doin two versions of each with the colored combadges! If you tell me where you think I should go from here, I will go with the majority. I was even trying a group shot of Picard, Riker and Data for Season 2, but then decided to go with the big head for uniformity. Should it be changed? Will it be too boring seeing Geordi or Deanna on a cover?!

I know I can't make everyone happy, but I certainly would like to please as many as I can.

Please let me know what you think, while I still believe Picard can merit one on his own, it's not too late to change direction of the rest and even redo season 2. If Parker wouldn't mind the extra work of reposting them that is!

-Ric

PS: Jeff, if you want minimalism, you should be happy with the cases Paramount released! Oops sorry, didn't mean to come off testy!

And Dave, I agree with Kirk's Enterprise being an important character! I was sorrier to see that go in ST 3 than I was to see Spock die in Wrath of Khan! Not that I was happy to see him go, but it was one of the greatest death scenes ever... at least in Sci-fi!

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Put me down as one who likes the way you were planning on doing them. Big heads on the front (one for each main cast member) and cast shots on the back. I don't care for real busy covers either so don't crowd the front covers with a bunch of groupings. The Enterprise is getting enough time on the different covers as well as the entire spine. Please Ric, stay with the plan... Data on season 3.

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
Have you considered doing covers for TV shows for VHS clamshells to make our recordings from tv look nice and presentable? I've been doing this with my anime fansubs as well as Fox's Dark Angel. I use Microsoft Publisher. They just look a lot nicer on the shelf in a presentable clamshell rather than in a plain old paper VHS box. Oh and btw, great work.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
I absolutely concur with Frank, stay with the current format. They look terrific thus far and you should continue with it.

BTW, when the Enterprise went down in flames it actually brought tears to my eyes and really choked me up. My wife thought I had finally gone off the deep end and a couple of people sitting nearby in the theater gave me a strange look.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, the logo is wrong on the Paramount cases. The font is all wrong. That and the things are going to fall apart if I look at them wrong. Had they released the R2 cases to the US I wouldn't have a problem.

If you'll let me steal your logo and your combadge, I'd be happy to do minimalist versions. I'm no artist, but I'm a half-decent compositor

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing is I hated those boring head shots on the original ST releases! Maybe it was the fact that it gets a little old after 40 volumes and who really needs Vic Tayback on one of the covers?

Mark,

When I first got my computer I made a bunch of Babylon 5 sleeves to go in VHS clamshells. This was before I had Photoshop,(I was using the lesser PhotoDeluxe) they aren't the greatest, but they serve their purpose. I didn't even finish the last two volumes! Here's hoping I won't have to if WHV comes to their senses and releases season box sets on DVD!

Back to the matter at hand...

I was thinking I could do something like:

Season 3 Data

Season 4 Beverly and Wes

Season 5 Troi, Worf and Geordi

Season 6 Whole cast

Season 7 The Enterpise

Or just stick to the big head shots?!

More input please! ...but it looks like the big head shots are winning!

I could put together a little online poll where folks could go to vote for their preferred choice. I could get it up in a day if you think it's worth it!

- Ric

Britton

Screenwriter
Ric, I say you should stay the path you're currently on. It always made sense to me that the 7 primary characters would each "represent" one of the 7 seasons. As for the Enterprise, it's already on the spines, so there's no need for an Enterprise front cover.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

I would be very interested to see what you come up with. Do you have Photoshop? How big a file size can I send to your email?

-Ric

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Season 3 Data

Season 4 Beverly and Wes

Season 5 Troi, Worf and Geordi

Season 6 Whole cast

Season 7 The Enterpise

Season 3 YES

Season 4 Lose Wes

Season 5 Worf OR Geordi

Season 6 Worf OR Geordi

Season 7 Troi (cause she looks the best in S7 wearing the uniform)

You have a whole spine devoted to the ship. No need to do a seprate cover. The ship is also seen on other parts of the covers.

Use different crew shots for the back covers.

Jimmy M

Second Unit
Dave,
Can I join you in the megaplex? West Springfield is reeeeally close to you, and it's been a while since Stop & Shop. :)
Jimmy!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well I think I'm just gonna go with Frank, Dave, Britton and Colin. (and the rest of you folks that like the present course) I was just having a momentary lapse. There are so many ways to go, and everyones gonna have good ideas and a preference. While I realize that I can't make everyone happy I still appreciate all the input.

Thanks again!

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks