What's new

Directors ULTIMATE COMEDY TOURNAMENT! (1 Viewer)

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Clerks scores 4 votes to make Your Winner with 7 votes,

The Graduate!!!!!

Ben Braddock begins his run by taking care of Silent Bob...

The Cannonball Run scores 1 vote to make Your Winner with 7 votes,

Sullivan's Travels!!!!

The Greatest Road Race Comedy Of All Time is demolished by Preston Sturges...

Bracket 4 Match 7

-"Hey Fairlane, when ya gonna let me help you on a case? Why you always fucking with me?"

-"EXCUSE ME! You say the f-word one more time and I'm gonna bang you right the fuck out. Now get the fuck out of here."

-"I've got something important to discuss!"

-"Yeah what? Premature ejaculation?? Uhhhhh!"

-"You know Ford, sometimes you can be a real dick!"

-"Dick, fuck? What kind of kid are you?"

The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane Directed by Renny Harlin

vs.

"There is no way, NO way that you came from my loins. The first thing I'm gonna do when I get home is punch your momma in the mouth."

Smokey And The Bandit Directed by Hal Needham

Ric's Pick: The Adventures Of Ford Fairlane

Bracket 4 Match 8

"You see Hopsi, you don't know very much about girls. The best ones aren't as good as you think they are and the bad ones aren't as bad. Not nearly as bad."

The Lady Eve Directed by Preston Sturges

vs.

"THE PRICE IS WRONG, BITCH!"

Happy Gilmore Directed by Dennis Dugan

Ric's Pick: abstain (no Eve)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Yes George, because they are both films where we are supposed to identify and empathize with the main characters. And where Saturday Night Fever feels genuine and real, The Graduate feels false, a work of someone disconnected from the real world. A movie fantasy that, while admittedly millions have embraced over the years, I cannot.

I simply am unable to feel for this character who has every advantage, hot women throwing themselves at him, and free sex and can only whine about how much his life sucks.

I understand in theory given the politics of the time how he's supposed to be this grand anti-establishment character, but he's a spoiled unhappy rich kid. He IS the establishment. When Jimmy Stewart rejects plastics for the love of Donna Reed it is one of films great moments. But Hoffman's character rejects it, on the surface because he doesn't want to be "trapped" as some sort of corporate sell-out, but in reality, he has the privilege of doing so because there is no real pressure on him to find employment.

Jimmy Stewart is struggling to get by, Travolta feels he has little hope or future for much of the film he is simply subsisting and trying to have one night a week where he can feel like a living human being, Mona in Vagabond and Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces are characters who have completely broken with their former lives - they will never return to the embrace of their families, but Hoffman even in the one great scene of the film - the ending - seems less to have broken with his past and is merely running out of weakness from one uncertainty to another. I have no doubt that when the inevitable happens, he'll go crying back to Daddy's checkbook.

George Bailey, Antoine Doinel, Travolta, the characters of Katzelmacher don't have the benefit of such a golden parachute.

And even more specific to SNF, I've always wanted to dance (that's why Gene Kelly is my favorite Golden Age star). Whenever I was bumbling around in high school dances or later in some club, the dance scenes in SNF would be playing in my head. To be able to dominate a dance floor is one of the great unfulfilled fantasies of my life, right up there with dunking a basketball.:b

And I kind of do like the music better as well. I'd take the Bee Gees tunes and Disco Inferno over the S&G music that shows up in the film. And I get a campy kick out of stuff like 5th of Beethoven and Night On Disco Mountain. On the whole I'd prefer S&G hands down, but none of my favorite S&G songs are in The Graduate and my least favorite, Scarborough Fair, is.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Whoops, Ric slipped one in one me.

Smokey and the Bandit - I like Ford Fairlane (yes it's completely juvenile) but Jackie Gleason rules the Earth in Smokey. Plus I would never actually own a dog, but if I did I would want it to be a hound just like Jerry Reed's.

The Lady Eve - HG is an electric donkey bottom biter in comparison

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I like Ford Fairlane...
Who the hell are you? And what have you done to Brook?

:laugh:

By the way, I don't really see Benjamin as having a "golden parachute." Yeah, maybe he could go crawling back to daddy for some dough as you suggest, but he has basically fucked things up completely for himself. Sure, he got the girl, but imagine the familial situation he has created for himself. He slept with his mother-in-law! I don't see his future as "easy" by any stretch of the imagination.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
By the way, in case anyone is interested..."one of the great unfulfilled fantasies of my life" is trying to do stand up comedy.

I don't know. I just thought I'd mention it considering the topic of this thread.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I used to be a big stand-up fan and watch quite a bit. I liked Dice at the time so I liked the movie. Remember, I've only been a high-brow snooty cineaste for the last 4 years. You should see some of my high school pictures, just call me Major Mullet. :b

I haven't played much ball in the last 5 years but I used to be an ok athlete. Played basketball, football, and track in high school and used to play tons of street hoops from the time I was big enough to make a basket thru college. Dabbled in tennis, soccer, volleyball, hockey, softball and golf as well but basketball was always the sport I loved to play. I'm 6'2" with white men can't jump syndrome so I could never do more than grab the rim.

Alas now I've gone to seed so until my kids get older, the only sports action I see is fantasy baseball.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Smokey & the Bandit

The Lady Eve - don't really like this nearly as much as other Sturges films, but it's better than Happy Gilmore

Brook,

We'll just have to disagree here. I found the Travolta charater in SNF to be a shallow, meaningless character. Hell, I found all of the characters in SNF to be that way. They reminded me of the most shallow people I knew in high school. And the disco soundtrack is certainly a turn-off to me.

As for the Graduate, I just found the story much more interesting. You may be right in some of your analysis of the Braddock character, but he's still a far more interesting character (to me), with a more interesting surrounding cast (such as Mrs. Robinson), and a more interesting story. All, IMO.

As far as the music, since we're deadlocked, let's let Dr. Johnny Fever decide. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Abstain.

Great post on The Graduate Brook. :emoji_thumbsup:

I like the movie far better than you, but there is sure a lot in what you say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks