What's new

UK Shows I would love to see on DVD (1 Viewer)

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Andy, I wish I had known this before I purchased all the available R1 sets. I do have a region 2 player, and I would have gone that route. But I don't think it's only the "American" episodes that were left out. I checked what I have against the IMDb listing and I believe there are other "English" episodes (my preference) missing. But thanks for the suggestion.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Yeah, where is this on DVD? It probably has huge licensing issues for music, as well. I'm watching the American version and, after the horror stories we've seen in this forum, all I can think is ..."THAT song will never make the DVD ... THAT song will never make the DVD ..." And yet the songs are so well chosen, too.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Just off the top of my head, does anybody know if the "PRIVATE SCHULTZ" 2 part (or was it 3 part?) Thames production that aired on PBS's MASTERPIECE THEATRE in the '80s...with IAN McSHANE as the bungling field operative for the Nazi's Operation Bernhardt...trying to introduce faultless counterfeit 5 pound notes into the UK during WWII...and then scrambling after the war to recover caches of the money...I remember it being hilarious, right up there with his best Lovejoy work...was it ever released in other regions?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Well, yeah, you can count on music substitutions. Why? Because the R2 versions already have music substitutions on them (other '70s songs are used, if I recall correctly), and oft-times, the UK companies able to clear stuff in the UK they can't clear here (such as on the Happy Days sets), so if this ever does come out in the US, expect there to be songs replaced.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if the 1971 BBC Casanova starring Frank Finlay has made it onto DVD yet? I remember seeing it on cable about 20 years ago, but it's never been shown in the U.S. since. That's one title that needs a Region 1 release!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Actually this appears to be another production with nearly the same title...but thank you HAKAN for the good will anyway!

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Some notes on this thread…

The Goodies
– three volumes of episodes have been released in the UK, including the entire 1981 series (made for the BBC’s rival network, ITV). The discs are excellent, fully-restored episodes, with archive interviews, commentary tracks and other worthwhile bits and pieces. The first volume (The Goodies… At Last) is now OOP, and unlikely to be re-issued. The second volume (The Goodies… At Last A Second Helping) is likely to go OOP soon, as Network no longer have a deal with the BBC. With so many episodes to pick from, Network wisely chose to cherry-pick (arguably) the best episodes, rather than releasing whole seasons (which would have meant releasing a fair proportion of under-par episodes). The BBC themselves seem to have practically disowned the series. It was incredibly popular when it was originally shown, but has rarely been seen on network television since the 70s (a fact that has rankled somewhat with the shows stars). I’d be delighted if the BBC’s own video label, 2 Entertain, announced that they were going to release the series, but I think it’s very unlikely. Music rights for some episodes may be insurmountable.

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin – a remake of this series is imminent. The UK discs released in 2002/3 are now OOP, and command premium prices. IIRC there were some minor cuts. It’s quite likely that the series will be re-released on DVD when the remake is shown.

First Among Equals – is being released later this month, by Network: First Among Equals: The Complete Series: Network DVD

Gerry Anderson’s New Captain Scarlet
– available on DVD in the UK

Dempsey and Makepeace – all three series available on DVD in the UK

Three Up, Two Down – First and second series available on DVD in the UK

On the Buses – all available on DVD in the UK. A cheap option to see a couple of episodes is a ($3) sampler DVD from Network: NeTWOrk: On the Buses: Network DVD

The Bill – lots of episodes available on DVD in the UK and in Australia. A new UK volume is due for release next week.

Private Schulz – I suggest you are mistaken about a version starring Ian McShane, Randall! The series stars Michael Elphick (who somewhat resembles McShane). The series is otherwise as you describe, and quite excellent it is, too. The UK DVD features a very good ‘Making of…’ featurette.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Absolute Power S2. S1 has been out for some time, but there is no news at all on S2.

Odd. The R1 version was released last year:-
Amazon.com: First Among Equals: Tom Wilkinson, John Breslin, Jonathan Bridge, David Robb, Anita Carey, Jane Booker, Jeremy Child, Harriet Bagnall, James Faulkner, Diana Hardcastle, Clive Swift, Andrew Keir, Joanna David, Toria Fuller, Pavel Douglas,

The cover artwork appears to be the same, though. And the R1 version (which I have) doesn't have the advertised extra, the "alternate ending" -- which no doubt is that the other guy becomes PM...

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

S2 has been available in R4 for about two years now. Strange it hasn't come out in R2, but might still be able to get it down under (the two sites I checked have it as "out of stock").

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thank you Julian for the Clarification to my Foggy memories, and apologies to Hakan!
I really should buy a region free player!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

E1 Ent. (formerly Koch Vision) releases the complete series in R1 on 5/5 (USA; probably 5/12 in Canada), as I previously reported at TSoD. I will be posting the front cover art before the week is over (could even be today; not 100% sure yet).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'd like to see an early 90's ITV drama called Growing Rich, starring Martin Kemp, get a DVD release. I don't think it's ever been repeated in the UK since then. I remember it being a good series at the time. It was shown on a Friday night at 9 pm I think.

I'd also like to see a serial called Dark Towers get a DVD release. It was shown as part of a UK schools programme on BBC1 or BBC2 called Look and Read.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks