What's new

UK Shows I would love to see on DVD (1 Viewer)

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I know UK shows usually have to have a cult status to get a R1 release usually but would love to see some of the following shows on DVD:

Afternoon Play, The (2003)
Always & Everyone (1999)
As If (2001)
Attachments (2000)
Bulman (1985)
Breeze Block (2002) Featuring Ashley Jenson
Burnside (2000)
Byker Grove (1989) Featured a young Ant & Dec
Casualty @ Holby City (2005)
Chiller (1995)
Cluedo (1990)
Doctors (2000)
Down To Earth (2000) - with Pauline Quirke, Warren Clarke and Denise Welch
Dream Team (1997)
Duck Patrol (1998)
Eastenders (1985) (collections of episodes, if seasons too much, similar to ones they have done for Coronation Street)
Eyes Down (2003)
Family Affairs (1997)
First Of the Summer Wine (1988)
Get Well Soon (1997)
Hark At Barker (1969)
Heartbeat (1992)
Holby City (1999)
Hollyoaks: In the City (2006)
In Deep (2001)
Law & Disorder (1994)
McCready & Daughter (2001)
Mersey Beat (2001)
New Worst Witch, The (2005)
Pig Heart Boy (1999)
Rhona (2000)
Rivals Of Sherlock Holmes, The (1971)
Royal, The (2003)
Space Island One (1998)
Strangerers, The (2000)
Sunburn (1999)
Thief Takers (1996)
Tinsel Town (2000)
Tripping Over (2006) (UK/Aus production)
Upper Hand, The (1990)
Young Dracula (2006)
Z Cars (1962)

What UK shows would everyone else love to see

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Oh, I've got several that I'd like to see, in any region, including the likes of:

EBC (Emu's Broadcasting Company)
Rutland Weekend Television
The Cleopatras
Ghosts (1995, BBC series)
Secret Army in R1 (the R2s are just way too expensive)
Blakes 7 (some of the R2 sets had authoring problems in early batches, and I'd be almost afraid to order one in case I got stuck with some "old stock")
Come Back, Mrs Noah (with Are You Being Served so popular, it's probably got the best chance of the bunch to get a release in R1 before anywhere else, as it stars Mollie Sugden!)

I know there's more, but that's just a small short-list!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see a Complete Series set of The Champions, and at an affordable price! A&E only released half of the show some years back at a stupidly high price. Also, from all that I've read about the show, I'd love to have a look at Adam Adamant Lives!- it's been released in the UK, but not here.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

If your DVD player is capable of playing multi-regions, you could import it. A&E's half season set of "The Champions" is currently being remaindered at places like Oldies.com and HamiltonBook.com for about $25 and you might even fare a little better from an Amazon market seller. I picked up the A&E set earlier this year from Hamilton and really enjoyed it.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Right, Bob! I have a couple more in the Amazon UK cart this morning....those Happy Days sets with the intact 50's soundtracks in the episodes.

I don't have nearly the R2/4 catalog that Andy lists but the few that I own are still waiting for an R1 release. When I first bought a couple of R2/4 sets I wondered "Will I regret it when/if the R1's show up?" Nope, I don't think tbat way any more. The Saint Complete B/W Set, Rich Man Poor Man, both Bionic series (thru S2's). The only one's that I might double-dip woud be the 2 orig Bionic shows, if there were some extras/interviews in any R1 sets.

Another one, thanks to Bob H's info, is "Man In a Suitcase" Complete Series on the way from an Australian store.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Ideally, I'd like to locate a region-free DVD changer that can hold 3-6 discs. Also, I wonder when they're going to make a Blu-Ray changer- once they do, I'll make the switch!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
That's an interesting idea, Charles....the multi-changer thing.

I was sent a link by an overseas HTF contact for R-Free Blu-Ray Players but I don't recall the specifics about multi-changer capacity.

When I (finally) make the jump to HD, I'll remember your idea.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Jamie Oliver. There's a bunch of his series that haven't been released either in Region 1 or not released at all. Yes, I could purchase a multi-region player, but I'm not interested. Since it seems doubtful we'll get any more releases here, I'll just hold my breath and list the ones that aren't available:

Jamie at Home Christmas Special - I don't believe this has even aired on the Food Network yet.
Jamie at Home - This is one ticked me off as Time Warner told me they would be getting Food Network and I ultimately missed it. (My local cable provider dropped the cable network some time ago and it was bought out by them last fall.)
Jamie's Chef - I don't believe this one has aired here yet.
Jamie's Great Italian Escape (aka Jamie's Great Escape) - This series is a personal favorite and I would love to own on DVD. I even have the "Jamie's Italy" cookbook.
Jamie's School Dinners (aka Jamie's School Lunch Project on The Learning Channel)/Jamie's Return to School Dinners - Another great series from Jamie, but I don't think TLC ever aired the follow-up special. Does anyone recall if it has aired here in the States?
Oliver's Twist - My favorite of all of the Jamie Oliver series I've seen and not all of the episodes are out on DVD between Shout and Capital Entertainment's two releases.
The Naked Chef - Currently not airing on BBC America (though I've seen some of it before on the Food Network) and all three series have never been released here which is odd.

There's also Pukka Tukka, but I don't see it listed on Jamie's official site. It may have aired on the Food Network but just missed it. If anyone has more information on this, please let me know.

Now, the ones available in Region 1 and I own all of them are:

Jamie Oliver: Happy Days Tour Live!
Oliver's Twist (Shout! Factory - OOP) - 7 selected episodes from the first series.
Jamie Oliver in Oliver's Twist 2 (Capital Entertainment) - 15 selected episodes from the second series. (Note: According to Jamie's official site, there were only two series of 26 episodes.)
Jamie's Kitchen (complete series) (Capital Entertainment)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
These are all series that I’d like to see. I wouldn’t go so far as importing them to the U.S., but would buy them if they were available here.

Inspector March of Scotland Yard (Karloff)
The Four Just Men
Sir Francis Drake
Dixon of Dock Green (I’ve never seen even a single episode of this series, but it ran for 22 seasons (1955-76) in the UK, so I’d love to see some representative episodes
Dick and the Duchess
Department S
The Adventurer
The Baron
The “missing” black & white episodes of “The Saint” that haven’t been released in the US, along with the Ian Ogilvy version

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Sure you probably already know that these (including Ogilvy's Return of the Saint were released on R2/R4 yonks ago. think the R4 of Return had some extras that weren't on the R2s (maybe Ogilvy commentaries, if I remember correctly).

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Strangerers, The (2000) would be a must-buy for me too, due to Sarah Alexander. Doug's comment about vhs being unlikely suggests his comment was made before tv-on-dvd was a phenomenon.

Even a UK release would be fine with me, just make it region free.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Yes, I was aware of these, but was looking for these shows on R1 issues (if that will ever happen). All of these are shows that I'd like to see, but I'm not going out of my way to import them from overseas. There are plenty of UK shows that I can get on R1. In fact, the only UK series that I've imported to date is "Man in a Suitcase" because it's one that I really wanted and figured had little or no chance of getting a R1 release. Shows like "The Baron" and "The Adventurer" are OK, but not great enough me for me to spring for the extra bucks to import them; but, if they were reasonably priced domestic releases, that's another story.

Looks like very little of "Dixon of Dock Green" remains. Found this listing of what's missing/what's remaining. Such a shame.

BBC Online - Cult - Treasure Hunt - The Missing Episodes - Dixon of Dock Green

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

I do have a multi-region this list is for the shows to be released in any region, I would love to see and import from anywhere, US, Australia. I'm from England but been living in Vancouver for the last 9 months, returning to UK May 24th and I import so many of my shows from abroad

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I'd love a complete set of Randall & Hopkirk: Deceased (the original series, not the re-make) on R1. A&E released half the series in one 4-disc volume, but didn't put out the second 4-disc volume of the remaining episodes. Very irritating.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
does anyone remember The Biz (1995) was kind of like a British Fame, set in a drama school. Wish this was on DVD, but probs unlikley

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
oh I also forgot

The Demon Headmaster (1996)
The Ghost Squad (2005)
Reach For the Moon (2000)

Todd_W_Zimmrman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd W. Zimmerman
There are quite a few I'd like to see on R1:

DAVE ALLEN AT LARGE
DEPARTMENT S
THE FALL AND RISE OF REGINALD PERRIN
THE GOODIES

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Did anyone ever watch The Hello Girls (1996) with Letitia Dean about telephone operators in the 1960's. I loved that show wish it was on DVD.

I know for UK releases Acornmedia appreciate suggestions for shows they should release. It states on there site:

"Please tell us what other titles you would like to see featured on our pages. Any feedback offered is gratefully received and where possible, acted upon."

[email protected]

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
Very surprising that nobody has mentioned this one already:

LIFE ON MARS

This is definitely one of the best shows ever. I started watching this one on BBC America a couple years ago, then I switched to getting uncut HD episodes through bittorrent. This was much better since the BBC America versions had been edited from the original UK broadcast version. There's supposed to be an American remake coming soon, which I probably will watch out of curiosity but nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks