What's new

UHF Selling out? (1 Viewer)

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
I was picking up Real Genius at Best Buy, and it was hard to find. Bottom shelf, only 3-4 left. The salesperson forgot what a cool movie it was. Not far down the row, I saw the "UHF - $9.99," but they were all gone. The salesperson said there was an MGM stand with $9.99 movies. I found the stand, and had to dig in the back on the bottom row, and there were 7-8 UHFs. Sometimes, you've just got to look and -- SUPPLIES!!!

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Thank you Vince, I found it funny that the MGM customer service never reply to my request. But still, this does suck a bit, because I was very tempted to return it at the Virgin Megastore (glad I didn't, I loved the movie when I watched it last night). ^^

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
If you go by the trend at my Suncoast store, we don't have enough UHF or Real Genius for the shelf because the company is only sending us 3 at a time, and when they arrive, those are spoken for by the special orders customers place when we don't have it on the shelf.

Basically the company's buyers aren't ordering near enough copies to fill demand. And, unfortunately, by the time they figure out the demand...customers will find it elsewhere or lose interest.

And I'm sure this problem is not exclusive to Suncoast.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I managed to find my copy last Saturday at a local Sam Goody. Like many of you, I had been looking for it since it came out about two weeks ago but to no avail. Even though I half-expected to find it, I still gasped in joy/surprise when I saw it sitting on the shelf. I don't get it. Of all the great movies being released right now, this little film from 1989 gets me the most excited. And the movie isn't even that great!!! Don't you just love it? :D

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Same here... no copies at Best Buy, Borders, or even (gasp!) Suncoast at the Cambridgeside Galleria in Cambridge Mass... oh, the pain

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I had one advance ordered with A&B Sound - good thing too, because they disappeared within hours of going on the shelf.

James Z

Grip
For some reason the Circuit City's in and around Birmingham have them falling out of the racks they're so plentiful. I know the one I go by most often has like, 15 in the bargain rack for $9.99.

John Bryant

Second Unit
I saw copies at Circuit City and Best Buy this weekend. YMMV though.

Vince, drop me a line if you want me to pick one up for you and shoot it on over.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
John,

I'm going to try Circuit City this weekend (and one last trip to best buy)- if still no luck, I'll take you up on your offer!

-Vince

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Vince, instead of running to the stores so much, use your internet!
Head over to either chain's websites, put the title into your shopping cart, and continue to purchase it online. Mark it "for instore pickup", and go through the process of naming the store closest to you (know it's zip code in advance; use the site's store locater for that).
BB for sure, and CC usually as well, will then let you know if it's in-stock before you get to the point of having to input a credit card #. Either way, just cancel the sale and delete the item from your cart when you have the info you need.
Yes, online inventories can be off, and stock only reflects up to midnight last night (so if someone is buying the last copy the same time you are checking, then your trip could be in vain). But at least you know when NOT to bother going in, if that's the only thing you want.
If you have a Borders near you, you can check stock with them at BORDERSTORES.com as well.
Or....use the phone! "Let your fingers do the walking; it's a snap!" ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks