What's new

UHF Selling out? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Went to three different stores. Sam Goody, Suncoast, and two FYE's. ALL Where sold out of UHF. Guess the movie is more popular than most would like to think :)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Not a copy to be found in the New Brunswick cities of Miramichi and Moncton...I believe the stores didn't realize the amount of interest in such a small time catalogue title.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I've run into this problem with the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Real Genuis. No stores here carry them because they believe no one would buy them. Evidentally, there's a better market down here for the Erotic Witch Project then there is for movies like UHF, Real Genius, etc...

Gordon Elgart

Auditioning
The same is true here in the SF Bay Area. Virgin Mega, three Best Buys, three Borders, a Barnes and Noble, Two Rasputins, Two Towers, Two Warehouses . . . all sold out. I finally found one at Amoeba in Berkeley.

I think places either didn't order enough or perhaps MGM didn't make enough. Perhaps they were going to use the profits from Windtalkers to fund it???

Ugh. I should have mail ordered . . .

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Three Best Buys (they had a $9.99 sale)-- all three had the spot on the shelf with the "UHF $9.99" tag, but no copies.

I talked to a sales drone in one shop, and he said they had sold out of three shipments already.

I thought maybe this was isolated to NE Ohio, but looks like it's widespread. Wonder if the title is just THAT popular, or if stocks were simply small (not too impressive to sell out of 3 shipments if each only had 4-5 copies).

-V

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
After going to Borders(ugh), Suncoast (double ugh), Wal-Mart (you get the idea), and a Best Buy I finally found it at a second Best Buy on thier MGM buy 2 get 1 free promo. There were none on the shelf but they had like 7 on the very bottom corner of the MGM dump. Picked up that, Great Escape and Spaceballs.

--Ian

M

MaxY

I think there was an undersized run of this title of something because I have been in three Best Buys and all had labled shelf space for it and claimed to have had it but none had it in stock beyond the first day of release.

Max

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
At my work (Circuit City), we only got about 6 UHF and 2 Real Genius. ALL GONE.

Chris M

Second Unit
Here in Calgary, I had to go to a A&B Sound downtown, Futureshop and finally I found it at a 2nd A&B Sound. Futureshop said they sold out, but the first A&B sound said they didn't get the shipment. Weird!

Of course, for $13.50 CDN, this is a fantastic deal!

Chris.

John Bryant

Second Unit
Out of stock at DDD also. I got mine during the BB 3 for 2 sale. They had plenty, although they were in an MGM cardboard standout, not on the shelf.

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brett Voss
Sold out in Orlando/Winter Park as far as I can tell .. talked to the best buy guy (hahahah ... best buy drone .. exactly what they are, man!!) ... he said that they are completely sold out around here as well .. along with CC, WalmarT and some others ... My buddy just ordered it from BUY.COM ... great movie .. can't wait to see it again!

Brett

Matthew H

Second Unit
Gone in all major chains in the Amherst - Niagara Falls NY vicinity. Best Buy, Media Play, Circuit City, Wal*Mart, and Target don't have a copy in. I snagged the one and only copy at a local brick-and-mortar store that I shouldn't have posted publicly because it's against HTF guidelines and an admin had to edit it out three days before its street date. :)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
"What's that?"
"The DVD sales chart."
*chuckle* "Don't tell me we actually showed up."
"We're at the top of the list. Stanley Spidowski's Clubhouse has gone through the roof. You know what this means? We're finally going to have some real money."
*Beat*
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
:)
Couldn't have happened to a nicer release!

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator
I have learned my lesson on older more obscure catalog titles. I inevitably will have trouble finding it locally and it isn't worth the hassle to hit up 5 or 6 different stores, therefore I always order these titles online. I have kept track of how many of these titles have actually been easily accessible in retail outlets and so far out of 23 titles only 2 were readily available.

-Dan

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I was able to find it in the Virgin Megastore in Florida, but my copy doesn't include a inside insert. So I had to e-mail MGM to get one (no response). Did anyone else not find a insert inside for chapter listing?

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Wonder if the title is just THAT popular, or if stocks were simply small (not too impressive to sell out of 3 shipments if each only had 4-5 copies).
We've had a total of thirty-four copies of UHF come into my store since the release date, in three separate shipments, and not counting the ten copies that I personally put on the shelf today, they've all sold out within a day or two. I suspect those ten today will be gone by tomorrow night.

Matt Birchall, Best Buy Sales Drone

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
You know, when I bought both Real genius and UHF, both times at Best Buy, the check out people were like "Cool-I didn;t know this was out!" There's a lot of demand for these movies obviously. I think alot of people saw these movies in their childhood or teens, and we're all in that prime DVD buying age now...

Thankfully, I start work at 10:30am, so 10am on Tuesday (when Best Buy opens) is a regular stop for me. They only had about 10 copies of Real genius to start with-I knew that was going to sell out, but had no idea UHF would.

Amazon still has both in stock if anyone still needs it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks