What's new

Two Towers Possible Release Date (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
that is a lot of extra footage added to the Extended Edition
Well Oscar, I don't automatically see that as being a thumbs-up.
I've not made a decision on which version of Fellowship of the Ring I prefer. Again, to make it complicated I like bits from the original theatrical release and bits from the extended edition. I suppose my ideal Fellowship of the Rings is a combination of both.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking more is better. Like it or not, most deleted scenes are deleted for a reason. I'm sure you wouldn't want to see an episode of EastEnders extended, just to show Pauline Folwer cooking and eating breakfast, for example. :)
Despite what you may think from this post, I've an open mind about the extended editions (note Jackson does not call them 'Director's Cuts'). But I am happy the theatrical cut is being made available.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I love the Extended edition of FOTR. It really added some extra charector stuff as well as a scene which should not have been cut(gift giving). As for TT The entire reason the footage was cut for for time . No way they would release a film over 3 hours long. So 41 more minutes would make TT almost 4 hours long.

Capt

James Reader

Screenwriter
I understand that this may be controversial but...

... cut for timings or not, the theatrical releases are films. Motion pictures are made to be shown cinematically and the only timing pressure put on Jackson was his own.

The theatrical releases of the Lord of the Rings trilogy are just that, theatrical motion pictures.

I see the extended editions being something else, Jackson has stated that they are for "home viewing" and as such are constructed for repeated, user controlled "home viewing". I'm not sure I would call them films anymore. I think the most appropriate comparison is to "TV Mini series", especially when all three extended editions have been released.

I've a few issues with the extended editions, but that's probably because I don't automatically assume longer is better. Most DVDs have deleted scenes with "more character development" and such, be we don't all campaign for them to be reinstated into the film presentation. But I will admit it is nice for us to have the chance to purchase both versions.

I know we still get the theatrical releases (thank you New Line) but I hope that should we not, an initiative as loud as the Star Wars Campaign would be launched by members of this forum. Or do we only wan't original theatrical releases when it suits us?

I would definitely protest should no theatrical version be made available. In the years to come I want to have the version that was nominated for awards, etc to show to my children (should I ever have any :) ) It annoys me when director's cuts (or extended, et al) are provided without the original; I want to own the version of films (such as The Last Emperor) that was originally acclaimed.
Fred

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Don't fall into the trap of thinking more is better. Like it or not, most deleted scenes are deleted for a reason. I'm sure you wouldn't want to see an episode of EastEnders extended, just to show Pauline Folwer cooking and eating breakfast, for example.
I really think this is a different issue, James. For one thing, many of the cuts in these films have been to get it down to some "magic" number of 180 minutes, a limit imposed by the studio. This can't really be compared to cuts made by the director for pacing's sake. For another, this is an adaptation of one of the greatest works of fiction since Charles Dickens, and a kind of faithfulness is one of Jackson's goals. He acknowledges the fans' "ownership" of the material, and the longer versions are really to please them and be true to Tolkien's vision.

Generally I agree: the theatrical version of a film is the quote-unquote "more valid" version (see Star Wars), but there are a ton of extenuating circumstances with LOTR.

James Reader

Screenwriter
For one thing, many of the cuts in these films have been to get it down to some "magic" number of 180 minutes, a limit imposed by the studio. This can't really be compared to cuts made by the director for pacing's sake.
I seem to remember Jackson insisting New Line didn't ask for a run time for the films and
One of my earlier posts shows some of the edits were cut for pacing.
Really the films and the extended editions are for two different mediums.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Sounds great, 43 extra minutes, yippee.

I'll just buy the Extended Edition. The only reason I got both for FOTR is due to Blockbuster's deal where you paid for 10 rentals and got the movie free. Now that I have FOTR-EE I never watch the theatrical release, and don't plan to.

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
I've been following this thread with interest in regard to the debate over the theatrical release vs. the extended release. It is clear to me that the average American's attention span continues to decrease over the years. When was the last time we saw an extended film such as Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, or the Ten Commandments released? A long time, right?

No director in his right mind can release ANY movie today that is longer than 3 hours even if the subject material is sufficiently interesting and/or demands a release of such legnth. Therefore, I bet that in a different environment Peter Jackson would have theatrically released the extended versions of these movies, and even longer versions, if he had had that luxury.

I look upon the extended versions as every bit movies that would play just as well in a theater with viewers interested enough to see them and with an attention span longer than a hyperactive 10-year old child.

Having said that, I still strongly support the dual release of the original theatrical versions with the extended versions as well. I just know that I prefer the extended version of the first movie, and if Peter Jackson holds true to form, the extended version of Two Towers as well.

Finally, chew on this for awhile. Peter Jackson was originally emotionally prepared to only be given financial backing to complete TWO movies to span the entire trilogy. If that had been the case, don't you think that now we might be looking at the theatrical versions that were released as the extended versions in that scenario? And would we not consider them movies but something else?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I think it's foolish to discuss whether or not a campaign would be raised if only the extended editions became available. This is not the case. Not only were two editions made available, but the 2 disc theatrical cut remains available even after the extended edition debut.

I myself find the extended edition preferable. I felt that the film seemed more whole, more complete. This from someone who went into the theater blind on opening night and was completely taken by the Lord of The Rings. I didn't think it could be a better film in extending it, but I was wrong.

I think Jackson places at LEAST as much import on the extended edition as he does the original theatrical. Else, why is his commentary specific to the extended edition and absent on the theatrical? I happilly own both editions, though I don't know if I'll ever watch the OTE again.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Finally, chew on this for awhile. Peter Jackson was originally emotionally prepared to only be given financial backing to complete TWO movies to span the entire trilogy. If that had been the case, don't you think that now we might be looking at the theatrical versions that were released as the extended versions in that scenario? And would we not consider them movies but something else?
I think this is an EXCELLENT point to consider.

I'd be very pleased if after ROTK gets it's theatrical run & DVD release that New Line release the Extended Editions theatrically for limited engagements. It would please me greatly to spend a weekend watching the 3 SEs on the local 60ft screen.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I hope they release all three theatrical versions in addition to the extended editions because I don't take it as axiomatic that the longer version will be better. When the extended edition of Fellowship of the Ring was announced, I was skeptical about its value because the only "directors cuts" and "extended editions" I had seen previously were not particularly preferable to the originals.

That said, when I first watched the extended edition there was no question that I would ever watch the theatrical version again (although it will always be on the shelf, just in case). Having experienced the 3-hour version in the theater and again on DVD, I was expecting the emotional impact to be attenuated when I saw the story told for the fourth time. No way. The extended edition is so much more emotionally intense than the shorter version it's not even a close comparison. Understanding and observing Boromir's tragic struggle throughout the extended edition made his final scene not only heroic and intense but heartbreaking.

I can only speculate about which characters in The Two Towers will go from having filled their roles in the story (in the theatrical version) to having a lasting emotional impact of their own on the viewer. One possibility is Eowyn, another is Eomer and of course Faramir. Of course since non of these die in The Two Towers
the parallel with Boromir is not complete.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I have never liked the pacing of Jackson's The Two Towers, so hopefully the EE (with a corking 43 minutes of extra footage) will balance the movie better, in terms of both pacing and character development. My copy of the TTT screener should tide me over until November.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I want the option of the original theatrical version. I don't care if George Lucas puts out his uber-deluxe ultimate editions of the original trilogy, as long as I can get a version where Han shoots first.

Same here. If PJ/New Line was ONLY putting out the EE, then we might be annoyed.

Brenton

Screenwriter
James, I totally understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately I don't completely agree. I feel that as the consumer, it's up to me to decide what version I want to buy, whether it's the original, extended, or even both for that matter. I don't feel that just because the original is cinematic history, that it has automatically earned its way to my DVD shelf. As the consumer, I feel totally free to only buy the extended cut, if all I care to watch is the extended cut.

You may call it a double standard, but I will only lobby for a theatrical release when it suits me. I am the consumer, so it really is all about me. Just because I may want the original cut of one movie doesn't mean that I'm obligated to want the original cut of every other movie in my collection. There are no "double standard police" out to nab me, and I have to reason to feel guilty about it.

I will only be buying the Extended Edition.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I initially disliked that Poster, but it really grew on me.

August 26th seems a long way off, 4 months away. I wonder why they chose to release the theatrical nearly a month later and the EE only a week later than the previous year.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I still don't like the poster :)
I like the teaser and the one with Saruman in the foreground looking over the Uruk-Hai army.
Now, get to work Kami. ;)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I'm eh on the cover art, uninspired but not bad. The movie on the other hand, I can't wait. Hurry up August 26, double hurry up November 18, and December 17, feel free to be tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks