1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Former Mad Magazine Cartoonists Pass Away

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kline, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Well-Known Member

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Well-Known Member

Joseph DeMartino
    I wasn't aware that Eisner ever worked for Mad (either in its original comic book form or its later full-sized magazine version) Do you know when he was there? (His bio on his official site makes no mention of it)

Both men were terrific and their passing represents a real loss to the artform, regardless of exactly where each worked. When Frank Miller made such a splash years ago with Daredevil and later The Dark Knight Returns for his cinematic story-telling, some of us could see the enormous debt he owed to Will Eisner's work (especially The Spirit.)

(And Miller himself acknowledged the debt by inserting several clear Eisner homages into stories during his run on Daredevil.)

Regards,

Joe

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Well-Known Member

Kelly Freas was far better known as a master illustrator of science fiction. And I had met the man a number of times back in the '70s and early '80s. He was marvelous. Very sorry to see him go.

4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Well-Known Member

Likewise, Eisner was arguably the most important comic book artist ever, and was probably best known for creating The Spirit. I had read that Freas was dying and wasn't surprised by it but my jaw hit the floor when I read that Eisner was gone, too.