1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, May 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Roy Wall

Roy Wall Well-Known Member

Absolutely. So glad this edition is on the way.

2. Reggie W

Reggie W Well-Known Member

Gregory Arkadin
    This is probably the only television series and certainly the last television series that I watched in its entirety when it was originally broadcast on television. People gathered at my house to watch each episode and it was an event and I think part of why people gathered to watch it was they wanted to discuss it as soon as it ended. During the entire first season people sat spellbound and in silence as they watched. Then there would be an outpouring of discussion the second the show ended.

I recall during the second season people began to talk during the episodes and questioned how "weird" the show was getting and by the time the series ended some of the usual crowd had dwindled because the show had lost them. Hilariously though the people that went missing as we got deeper into Season Two wanted to know all the details of what they missed. It was a fun series and certainly a unique moment in television history. Lynch was at the top of his game and Twin Peaks certainly seemed a relative of Blue Velvet in so many ways.

I have not watched Twin Peaks since it was broadcast and have not purchased the show in any home video format so will pick this one up. I don't think I can duplicate the feeling of sitting in a crowded room with a group of people all mesmerized by the show and waiting just as eagerly to discuss it as each episode ended but it will be fun to revisit it and see how it all plays now. I do wonder if this is a show that can win new fans on blu-ray as I feel this one is a "you had to be there" kind of deal and if you were not swept up by the show during the original airings the odd atmosphere and what often was awkward and stilted acting may throw people new to Twin Peaks.

Roy Wall likes this.
  3. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

I was a kid when the show aired and while I was aware of the series and "Who killed Laura Palmer", I never saw it until 3 or 4 years later when I was a teenager. Through out the years, I've introduced lots of people to the series and I think you'll be surprised by how modern the show still feels (given that it's nearly 25 years old) which is a big reason that the show can still attract new viewers.

That being said, I get what you're saying because there is a wonderful viewing experience that you get when you watch a show week to week (waiting and anticipating the next episode and discussing each show with friends) that you don't get that when you watch the entire series in three days.

4. Reggie W

Reggie W Well-Known Member

Gregory Arkadin
    That's promising, Travis. I hope it wins new fans and because it is such a unique show I feel maybe people who want to see something different will give it a shot. What is missing is all of the excitement that was there when the show first appeared on television...except perhaps for those who watched it back then. It was so different than anything else that made up the broadcast television landscape back then and with Lynch who was just building a reputation as a very interesting and unique feature film director to suddenly leap into TV was a big deal at the time.

In some ways the show I would most compare it to would be Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner...both were such wonderfully different inventions that spun a wild and weird web of intrigue and remain shows that standout from everything else going on in the medium at the time they aired.

5. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I remember when bars in Los Angeles actually stopped in mid bustle to play this show when it aired to customers. An experience almost as weird as the show itself. And it was true all over town, as I experienced it in Marina Del Rey, Santa Monica and also a bar in Hollywood. It was the perfect television show to become a social event because no one knew exactly what the hell they were watching, but everyone had an emotional reaction or an opinion about it.

It may never have the same impact on DVD or Blu-ray to newcomers, but it will remind those of us who went along for the ride what a long (well, two seasons) strange trip it was.

6. joshEH

joshEH Well-Known Member

Josh
    [​IMG]

7. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Well-Known Member

David Matychuk
    TravisR likes this.
  8. TravisR

The soundtrack (not sure if it's both volumes) and the FWWM soundtrack are getting an LP re-release this year.

9. joshEH

joshEH Well-Known Member

Josh

Shame he didn't do this as Gordon Cole, though.

10. joshEH

joshEH Well-Known Member

Josh
    Also...

Vastly-improved Log Lady intros:

TravisR and ScottDombrowski like this.
  11. davidmatychuk

David Matychuk
    IMG_0568.JPG

Here's that Japanese "Twin Peaks Visual Soundtrack" laserdisc. A Japanese film crew went to the places in Washington State where the series was filmed, and shot footage without audio. The PCM audio track replicates the CD, and sounds terrific. Maybe they'll add this as an extra Blu-Ray in the Japanese edition?

TravisR and joshEH like this.
  12. joshEH

joshEH Well-Known Member

Josh
    Final Blu-Ray trailer now up:

July 29th is so far away right now...

13. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Okay, as someone who has never seen Fire Walk With Me, is it recommended that I watch it first before watching the series again (since it's a prequel), or is it more interesting to watch it after I finish re-watching the series?

14. TravisR

I consider it more like an epilogue to the series so I would watch it after. Plus, there's an appearance by
    Annie
    that means more after the end of the series.

JohnMor likes this.
  15. davidmatychuk

David Matychuk
    After.

JohnMor likes this.
  16. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Premium
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    My opinion: definitely watch it after the series.

I love, love, love the Twin Peaks series... and I hate Fire Walk With Me with almost the same passion. So much of it feels redundant, for lack of a better word... for the most part, the movie simply presents the brutal crime that the series spends all of its time unraveling, and it's as close to watching a snuff film as you can without actually watching one. I find it to be a wholly joyless affair, whereas the series is warm and quirky, filled with darkness and despair but also humor and humanity.

(I'm looking forward to the deleted scenes bonus feature on the Blu-ray... the movie eliminates almost all of the characters we know and love from the show, and apparently they had all shot scenes which didn't relate to the movie's plot, but were just good character moments. My plan is to watch the series first, then the movie, and then finally the movie deleted scenes.)

My feeling is, if you watch the movie before the show, it would be like reading the last chapter of a book before the first. The series also ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, and there are a couple minor points in the movie which attempt to wrap up those loose ends from the series... so while the movie is definitely a prequel, it has some moments which serve as more of a sequel/epilogue.

cafink, joshEH, JohnMor and 2 others like this.
  17. joshEH

joshEH Well-Known Member

Josh
    JohnMor and Josh Steinberg like this.
  18. TravisR

Initially, I didn't care for Fire Walk With Me but I saw it a lot in college and each time that I saw it, I enjoyed it more and more to the point that I now think it's a very good movie. It's the darkest side of Twin Peaks and completely devoid of a lot of things that I loved about the TV series (humor, most of the townspeople) but once I accepted the movie for what it was, I grew to really enjoy it as a very dark and sad movie. Plus, it has remarkable performances from Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise. Probably a decade ago, Wrapped In Plastic (the Twin Peaks/David Lynch fan magazine) called it Lynch's best movie and while I don't agree with that, they wrote a great, in-depth appraisal of the movie that made me appreciate it even more.

joshEH, Josh Steinberg and JohnMor like this.
  19. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Thanks guys! I will wait to watch it after. I've seen the series before, but never the film. But I haven't seen the series in years and I'm getting excited to revisit it.

20. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Premium
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I'm hoping that happens to me, I really would like to like it.