What's new

Twilight Zone - The COMPLETE Definitive Collection (28-Disc Set)? (1 Viewer)

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce

Parker, for the cases you need a 1" spine. Don't think the 5 DVD cases comes in 1". You could buy 10 of the 6 DVD cases here for $9.99 plus shipping and They're made very well. Personally, what I did was I bought a 10 pack of the 8-DVD cases. I used 5 for the Twilight Zone, removing one storage page from each case and then used 3 for the Trek Original Series and then 1 for the Alien Quadrilogy.

http://www.genesysdtp.com/6dvddetails.htm

I bumped up the contrast of each image a bit and printed them out with my Canon Inkjet i860 on 24lb legal laser paper. They came out very well. You could also bring the images to Kinko's if you have one near buy. Not vey expensive - $6-$10 I think.

Psicosis

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Reinbolt
To anyone that purchased the 28 DVD complete collection: does it contain all the same extras that the individual releases did? I'm mostly concerned if it still contains the commercials etc.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Marco, are you the guy that bought my old set off ebay? I remember selling them in the "Exclusive" packaging once I bumped up to the Definitive Season sets. One of these days I'll get around to officially adding them to the site. I wanted to release them with a matching set (with the slimmer cases) for the original releases, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

voyager

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
200.00 is about the cheapest i have found. looking for a better deal tho . seems like they are no bargin on e-bay for sure .

midvalleyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Glad I found this thread even though it's a long time ago.

I recently purchased the 2018 Twilight Zone box set from CBS – Shock - Medium Rare Entertainment -Fremantle Media - Regions 2 + 4. 156 episodes on 28 DVD’s.

Starting with Season 1, Disc 4 the episodes end with a title and a voice over “Rod Serling the creator of Twilight Zone will tell you about next week’s story after this word from our alternate sponsor”.

Fade to black - no sponsor message – black continues. Mr Serling does not appear on screen - the screen is black – we just hear his voice telling us about next week’s story.

Then end credits.

Do I possibly have faulty discs? Has anyone else experienced this issue with their box sets? Any other possible explanation?

The 3 previous discs of Season 1 are OK. Mr Serling appears on-screen, there are some commercials, and all the Special Features are there.

In tiny print on the back of the box it states” some episodes may be edited from their original network versions”.

I’m very happy with the box set – there are some great episodes, and the picture quality is much better than expected.
tzboxset.jpg

Last edited:

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Glad I found this thread even though it's a long time ago.

I recently purchased the 2018 Twilight Zone box set from CBS – Shock - Medium Rare Entertainment -Fremantle Media - Regions 2 + 4. 156 episodes on 28 DVD’s.

Starting with Season 1, Disc 4 the episodes end with a title and a voice over “Rod Sterling the creator of Twilight Zone will tell you about next week’s story after this word from our alternate sponsor”.

Fade to black - no sponsor message – black continues. Mr Sterling does not appear on screen - the screen is black – we just hear his voice telling us about next week’s story.

Then end credits.

Do I possibly have faulty discs? Has anyone else experienced this issue with their box sets? Any other possible explanation?

The 3 previous discs of Season 1 are OK. Mr Sterling appears on-screen, there are some commercials, and all the Special Features are there.

In tiny print on the back of the box it states” some episodes may be edited from their original network versions”.

I’m very happy with the box set – there are some great episodes, and the picture quality is much better than expected.
View attachment 198091
At the time I worked on the transfers back in the early 2000's, many of the 35mm negatives were missing video of Rod Serling and many episodes were released on the standard def. release with audio only. Later when the blu ray release was being prepared Image Entertainment found the missing footage and were reinstated.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Which episodes have the fade to black in the next week’s story? My set is the original Blu-ray US release for 2005-ish. I don’t think my set has any of the Serling sequences of next week’s episodes with a black image.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
While I was impressed with Image's DVD releases, I knew I had to get the Blu-rays once they were announced and the show looks even better in glorious HD! It's fantastic that the "Big Three" sci-fi/fantasy shows of the '60s (TZ, Outer Limits, Star Trek) are available on Blu-ray. I am a weird TZ completist, owning the movie on DVD, Image's impressive '80s TZ sets (if only all TV shows shot on film/edited on videotape could be re-scanned from their original film elements, but I digress--just having the complete episodes again, after decades of butchered syndicated episodes, is fantastic), Network's R2 DVD of the 1994 TZ telefilm, the lamentable '00s UPN series on DVD, and the two Jordan Peele streaming seasons on Blu-ray. Nothing touches the classic original series!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Nothing touches the classic original series!
I totally agree.

Though there are two episodes of the 1985 Twilight Zone that made an impression on me and are still favorite episodes. Profile In Silver is a great episode with a cool ending. I liked the idea they were exploring. And The Once and Future King is a cool idea of what-if.

midvalleyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Which episodes have the fade to black in the next week’s story? My set is the original Blu-ray US release for 2005-ish. I don’t think my set has any of the Serling sequences of next week’s episodes with a black image.
The seven episodes are on my DVD Disc 4 - see attached image (they're not numbered). I've started watching Disc 5 and all is OK and back to normal. However I've now stopped watching or listening to Serling's chats about next week's episode as they contain "semi-spoilers". For me, they take away the total surprise of the next episode.

I couldn't justify the considerably more expensive Blu Ray box set down here - I'm more that happy with the DVD box set.

Attachments

• tzdisc4.jpg
    tzdisc4.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I totally agree.

Though there are two episodes of the 1985 Twilight Zone that made an impression on me and are still favorite episodes. Profile In Silver is a great episode with a cool ending. I liked the idea they were exploring. And The Once and Future King is a cool idea of what-if.

I think the 80s TZ is vastly underrated. A lot of people at the time tended to dismiss it because "it wasn't the original", but while some of the episodes faltered, many others I thought were as terrific as just about anything from the original series. That's the thing about anthology shows...the quality of the episodes can vary widely. Hell, even the original series had a fair number -- mostly in the last season or two -- that were quite frankly awful.

In addition to the couple mentioned by Nelson, I'd add:

"Nightcrawlers" (in my opinion, Friedkin's best bit of direction)
"Paladin of the Lost Hour" (in my opinion, one of television's finest moments)
"Her Pilgrim Soul"
"I of Newton" (Best. Deal. With. The. Devil. Story. Ever.)
"The Star" (based on the classic Arthur C. Clarke story)
"A Small Talent for War"
"A Matter of Minutes"
"To See the Invisible Man"
"Dead Run" (with Steve Railsback as a truck driver to Hell, and John de Lancie as one of Hell's executives)
"A Saucer of Loneliness"
"The Toys of Caliban" (an emotionally wrenching story)
"The Cold Equations" (maybe the single stand-out from Season 3)

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
While I was impressed with Image's DVD releases, I knew I had to get the Blu-rays once they were announced and the show looks even better in glorious HD! It's fantastic that the "Big Three" sci-fi/fantasy shows of the '60s (TZ, Outer Limits, Star Trek) are available on Blu-ray. I am a weird TZ completist, owning the movie on DVD, Image's impressive '80s TZ sets (if only all TV shows shot on film/edited on videotape could be re-scanned from their original film elements, but I digress--just having the complete episodes again, after decades of butchered syndicated episodes, is fantastic), Network's R2 DVD of the 1994 TZ telefilm, the lamentable '00s UPN series on DVD, and the two Jordan Peele streaming seasons on Blu-ray. Nothing touches the classic original series!
The blu rays were made from the same HD masters as the dvd release with some grading updates and modifications.

midvalleyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
At the time I worked on the transfers back in the early 2000's, many of the 35mm negatives were missing video of Rod Serling and many episodes were released on the standard def. release with audio only. Later when the blu ray release was being prepared Image Entertainment found the missing footage and were reinstated.
Much appreciate the explanation! I was going crazy - thought my Blu Ray player was on the blink :wacko:. Surely it wouldn't have taken much effort to put some sort of title over the black image, or even put a printed insert into the box set. Never mind, at least the missing footage was found.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The seven episodes are on my DVD Disc 4 - see attached image (they're not numbered). I've started watching Disc 5 and all is OK and back to normal. However I've now stopped watching or listening to Serling's chats about next week's episode as they contain "semi-spoilers". For me, they take away the total surprise of the next episode.

I couldn't justify the considerably more expensive Blu Ray box set down here - I'm more that happy with the DVD box set.
Thanks Robert, I checked one episode on the Blu ray of those you showed above, Long Live Walter Jameson. It did have the Rod Serling preview of the next episode, People are Alike all Over. The video was intact.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I thought that the original DVD's used older transfers than the Blu-Ray's did, just like The Dick Van Dyke Show did with Image not being given access to the masters back in the mid 2000's when the original DVD's appeared. They instead had to settle for transferring nice prints that were a generation or two removed from the negatives.

Hence why when The Dick Van Dyke Show hit Blu-Ray in the early 2010's, they didn't just recycle their previous HD transfers since they now were given access to the masters. Thought the same went on with The Twilight Zone.

Edit: Looks like my recollections are accurate.

"This edition has been mastered from new 1080p film transfers using the original camera negatives and magnetic soundtracks (rather than recycling the HD masters they already had on hand from the 2004 Definitive DVD Collection)."

"The previous DVD editions of this series from Image were so excellent that one might think that there was little room for improvement. Fortunately, Image has taken advantage of this opportunity to present The Twilight Zone in high definition by creating all new 1080p high definition transfers from the original camera negatives."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks