What's new

Twilight Zone - The COMPLETE Definitive Collection (28-Disc Set)? (1 Viewer)

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

'Filmed in the standard definition process' you say? I am afraid you have seriously underestimated the potential of film. This series was shot on 35mm film. The 'Twilight Zone' series, 'produced decades ago', was mastered recently utilising the original camera negatives in telecine to HD. Anybody that has any pre-conceived ideas on how old films or tv shows translate to HD should clear their minds of any doubt. I believe that provided the best film elements are used for HD mastering the results are as good and even possibly surpass a lot of HD material done today.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding conversion of film properties to an HD media transfer, people forget or misunderstand that film has a resolution that far surpasses most HD cameras capabilities.

What I think confuses a lot of people is the aspect ratio issue. If it isn't 1.85 or 1.78 to 1, then it must not be HD. The Twilight Zone and other TV shows of the era are shot 4:3 as we all know. When converted to an HD formatted home video media, it's likely we'll have it at 4:3. On an HDTV, we'll see the black bars on the left and right. When I watch the current standard definition The Twilight Zone episodes, I prefer to zoom to fill the screen. Funny how watching 4:3 material on a 16:9 TV, it looks like a square.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

When the HD version arrives it will be 4x3 with side mattes, within the 1.78 frame, to preserve the original aspect ratio. The current definitive season sets are down conversions from the HD masters minus the side mattes so they will look normal on a 4x3 monitor.

Quote: Funny how watching 4:3 material on a 16:9 TV, it looks like a square.

But it is intended that it should look that way on a 16x9 monitor.
I own a professional 4x3 Sony monitor for the purpose of viewing films and tv shows in that format.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Stephen- Regarding my comment to how 4:3 material looks like a square on a 16:9 TV, I meant to say that to the eye/brain, the visual impression is that the image looks more squarish and smaller then it actually is. It's worse then watching a letterbox film on a 4:3 TV I think. I had no problems doing that, and my brain accepts this, but I cannot watch 4:3 material on a 16:9 TV! Watching stuff like the new Star Trek Enterprise or Battlestar Galactica and other new TV shows, filmed for the format, and is a joy to watch.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

Nelson, I understand. You could try hanging black material to hide the side mattes. This might less emphasise the 1.78 shape and make 4x3 viewing more acceptable.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
HDTV is one thing, but letterboxing a show on film is another although I understand the relation between the two. Saturday Night Live began to be broadcast in high-definition at the start of its 31st season in 2005. They also went with the widescreen process even as a live show on tape.

The orignal Twilight Zone series was filmed in the standard 4:3 process. It was already remastered for re-syndication by Viacom in the late 1970s / early 80s, and it's those pristine copies that I've been watching ever since. Last year's DVD re-releases looked equally impressive. Sorry, but I can't see an HD release of this old gem produced in an era so many years ago make it look any better than it already is. Maybe it's because I don't have an HDTV set (although I've seen it displayed in stores). Somehow I don't see HDTV copies of The Twilight Zone being shown on TVs in Suncoast Video stores, even if they were to carry it in stock. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all jerk but you're wrong. When the HD versions come out, you'll see a major increase in quality between the two. The Definitive Collections look amazing (to say the least) but the HD ones will be even better. While I don't own a HD player yet, I look forward to the day when I can pick up The Twilight Zone: The Definitive High Definition Collection. :)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
It's a premature to make such bold proclaimations as to whether or not an HD-DVD release will look better than a DVD release.

Sure, it SHOULD look better but the anamorphic widescreen transfer on the 10th Anniversary Edition of "Reservoir Dogs" SHOULD have looked better than the earlier non-anamorphic transfer but it doesn't.

There's always a chance that some technician can screw something up somewhere along the line.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Bill makes a very good point. When you blow up a standard definition image to high-definition, there is typically a loss in the quality of that image. Quentin Tarentino's Reservoir Dogs was produced in the early 1990s, however, which was early in the era of digital technology in film.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Thank god I chucked My Seasons 1 and 2 (kept the book so that isn't a concern)

Considering buying all of TZ individually costs upward of 500 dollars this set is a real bargain.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

TravisR, in this case, is not premature in his statement.
True, there is a chance that 'some technician can screw something up' but I know the technician involved and I am confident that this won't happen.
I can't comment on 'Reservoir Dogs' as I was not involved in that project.

Jeff, I am not going to waste my time trying to convince you. I will let the 1080p HD release - when it is released possibly next year - speak for itself and, assuming your set up will perform correctly, that you will then see it for yourself.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sure something could be messed up but I figured that it was understood that I was saying "As long as there's no screw ups... :) Given Image's handling of the SD sets, I don't think there's any reason to suspect that they'll mess up the high def releases.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
having already bought this, I hope there are no additional features added that I'll get screwed on.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
I think I'll get this. I been meaning to start buying the single seasons eventually, so I'm glad I held off.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm assuming there'll be some cool outer box, like Image created for the Dick Van Dyke collection. Stephen, is there any chance (to your knowlegde) that Image might make the box available to those of us who bought the individual sets upon release (and therefore gave them large amounts of our hard-earned money)?

fonzo

Auditioning
Real Name
John Petersons
Hi guys.

Do you think this set will be available at amazon.com? I tried emailing them and got a standard 'we can't answer that' reply. It's up at amazon.ca and most other major online stores, but amazon.com is preferred for me.

BTW, I emailed Image about price-drops for the individual seasons and I was told that they are not planned.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
If you total up the discs from the five individual volumes, you'll get 28. Unless Image is reformatting the discs somehow, the content should be the same as what we currently have. My guess is that the set may come with a copy of the TZ Companion. Here again, if you bought Volume One when it was first released, you already have that, too.

Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I think Image is simply re-purposing their Twilight Zone assets into a more convenient, not to mention cost reduced, all-in-one package just in time for holiday gift giving.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I hope they do a little something to make the packaging a bit more interesting / appealing. The individual Definitive box sets always *looked* sort of cheap to me. I doubt that the set will actually be one giganticv outer slip box with all the previous individualy released boxes inside though Craig, so I doubt you have anything to worry about there. It will likely be some sort of foldout digi-concept, if not a large box with slimcases inside, or perhaps even double slims, etc. Hopefully Image will find a convenient and accessible way to seperate each seasons discs. I have to say, despite only currently owning the very first season release, the original Twilight Zone is by far my favorite television program ever produced, and in my opinion, one of the highest quality series in terms of both entertainment, writing and production/filmic value ever made for television. I'm really looking forward to this set in October and I hope more info regarding the set itself is revealed soon!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I think they look great! :) I bought the entire series that way last year, and although it's one of the greatest TV series of all time I'm not going to buy it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks