What's new

Twilight Zone/Night Gallery/ Alfred Hitchcock (1 Viewer)

Joseph G.

Agent
I was wondering if a few people could help me out,with the recent announcements of twilight zone(original & 80's) Night Gallery, and Alfred Hitchcock presents. You see, they all seem to be potential blind buys for me. While they all seem interesting, I was wanting to get some peoples opinions of which ones they would reccomend. Also I've noticed that the outer limits is already released. Yet another potential blind buy. So if someone could help fill me in on all these shows, it would be much appreciated.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
You might want to include "Amazing Stories" in your "poll".

Why don't you tell us about some of the things you like, and what your taste is toward, so we can think about which of these appeal to you in particular.

Me, I'm pretty much planning to own 'em all! :D

Joseph G.

Agent
well, the only things I can think of that remind me of these type series is beyond belief: fact or fiction and tales from the crypt. Both of which I'm huge fans of. I like stories involve spooky and ironic things that go on. Which most of the above series seem to have. However the things I really dont care for particulary would be things involving alien life forms or things from outer space. Some stories involving those things i can get into. It just depends on how good the story line is.

Joseph G.

Agent
Your right Dave I do want to add Amazing Stories to my poll. I did a little researching on some of the episodes and they seem like something I would enjoy. Thanks.:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
well, i can tell you what i like and why i like it- don't know if it will help much.

out of what you mentioned, the only one i really didn't dig was The Outer Limits

you will get a good deal of those with OL.

on the other hand, i do like Twilight Zone quite a bit, and am just waiting for the season sets to start.
those also have a few 'life forms from outer space' eps, but the context is vastly different.
TZ usually uses fantasy/sci-fi, ect to tell a morality tale.
usually with an ironic O'Henry-like twist.
sometimes Serling can get a little pedantic, but on the whole the series is grounded in a intelligent attempt at commenting on the human condition vis avis an average person finding themself in an improbable/fantastical situation.

Night Gallery is different from TZ in that the agenda here is much more on just telling a shock story/spine tingler.
often there is a similar ironic twist, but its in the service of just being entertaining rather than being 'thought provoking' or trying to make a profound social comment (which TZ could do well often, but also ham-fistedly sometimes, especially in its later seasons).
i have a nostalgic attachment to NG, but having seen it recently feel the majority of the eps still hold up well.
another reason i enjoy it, is that it shows some of the sensibilities that were changing at the time of the late 60s/early 70s as far as directing and storytelling went.
the 'style' was a lot more adventurous when you compare some of the eps to TZ from 10 yrs earlier.
for instance, TZ had a lot of formal camera set ups, and more smoothly controlled dolly and tracking shots.
very professional, with the camera being very passive.
with NG, on the other hand, you will notice a lot more 'experimental' flourishes- hand held cameras, weird, distorted angles, zoom cuts, the use of fish eye lenses- all designed to disorient and make the viewer unsettled. not a quality of every episode- but often enough.
also the plot lines were frequently pretty creepy/ghoulish.
very much in the mode of an old EC comic.
i love the show, but unlike TZ, the first season isn't as compelling to me as the second and third-
i'll still be picking this up though.

Alfred Hitchcock presents
similar to NG in that the focus here is just on telling an entertaining story (in this case nothing supernatural, just murder/crime/retribution) again, frequently with an ironic ending.
usully very entertaining.

all three are good.
TZ has been the most lauded down thru the years, and its fully earned its rep.
the first season is 90% excellant and 100% watchable.
Night Gallery has been like TZ's black sheep cousin.
its agenda was usually more low-brow, and for that reason most critics have dismissed it as a weak TZ knock off.
the first season , while not my favorite, still contains a couple of the best stories in the series- stories as good as anything in TZ.
Alfred Hitchock, i believe has maintained an excellant rep as well.

all are excellant anthology series
really depends on what you want to see
Horror? Murder/Mysteries? (tz is the hardest to classify since it frequently cross polinates among several genres )

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I can't wait for TZ (Original series.) I had no idea Hitchcock was coming out.

I've never seen Night Gallery, but I have to admit reading about it her has piqued my interest.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

It's been out for some time now, both as individual volumes (originally) and as box sets (more recently).

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Alfred Hitchcock Presents also has the advantage of having Hitchcock introducing each episode, and even has a few episodes directed by the man himself.

Have never seen it, but as a Hitchcock fan, it's an easy blind buy for me. I've heard lots of good things about the show.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Funny enough I was just going to ask about the Twilight Zone. I checked the release list on tvshowsondvd, and there seems to be a whole pile of random episode discs, as well as collections of these random episode discs, and a massive complete series box set that you can't get anymore. Is there something new coming up that's going to be complete or chronological? I've never really seen the show, but would probably blind buy at least a season to check it out. Only problem is that I don't want to start going after random episode discs, only to find out that there are season sets available (or soon to be available).

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I highly recommend the original Twilight Zone series. In fact, I give that show my highest recommendation.

You will be wise to wait for the season sets of the original Twilight Zone from Image later this year. They are going to have special features and will likely cost much less than the current 5 sets (retailing for about $99 now).

If you like that, you will probably enjoy much of the 1985 TZ revival, also due out later in the year.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
David, You got me all excited that it was more info on the 1980's version of the show. :frowning:

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
TWILIGHT ZONE and ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS are quite good overall.

NIGHT GALLERY was hit and miss; but there were some classics. Watch some on Encore first to see if you like it.

The 80s TWILIGHT ZONE is OK, a few good ones, but not up to the level of the original. Once it moved to first run syndication after CBS cancelled it, it got much worse and was done on a very cheap budget.

I thought AMAZING STORIES was a dreadful bore in the 1980's and I'm sure I still would.

The 1980's version of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (mostly remakes of old eps with colorized Hitch intros!) was sometimes interesting, much more so than AMAZING STORIES to me. Still, some people love AMAZING STORIES so you might like it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Dave, Thanks. I just zoomed right past that one. :b
I am psyched not only for the possible stereo tracks. But, too be finally able to see these uncut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks