What's new

Twilight Zone Definitive Edition (1 Viewer)

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
Note to Chad: Yes, I found the Definitive Edition ($100) in Toronto last week.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Gary, I placed my order January 3rd, it was completed late on the 4th and I received it on my doorstep on January 10th, so it seems like something is wrong with your order and I would definitely give them a call (if that's even possible).

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks, Mike. I FINALLY received an email this morning informing me that my order shipped. Fifteen days to "process" and 'in stock' item. Pretty amazing...

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
KevA, thanks for the info! Can I ask what store you found it in? Granted, I'm not in Toronto, but I haven't seen it at all in Future Shop, Best Buy, or Wal-Mart. I usually tend to avoid higher-priced stores like HMV or Sunrise. But $100 is less than BB's price of $116.99 as listed on their website!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
So, does anyone know if the episodes I brought up were shown with a Season 2 opening in syndication? They appear to have the end of the Season 2 starfield lap dissolved at the end of the opening and the start of the episode. There are about eight episodes like this in the set, including: Where is Everybody?, One For the Angels, A Passage For Trumpet, The Chaser, Elegy, and a couple of others. The other episodes' opening titles are definitely original. I was just wondering if IMAGE had to reinsert the opening titles for these episodes. I wish I knew of someone who worked on these, so I could get a definite answer. It's just strange that only a handful are like this.

BTW, Mr. Zicree replied and said that he couldn't comment because he hasn't seen the finished product yet.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I got the answer... Mr. Pickard found an answer for me:

"A technical spokesman from Image Entertainment has kindly offered to respond to your enquiry."

"Many of the Season One 35mm original negatives were altered after their initial broadcast. The episodes in question had Season Two openings physically cut onto the head of the negatives and the down-conversions had to be reconformed during post production. The Season Two openings included proper lap dissolves, on the film, between the starfield and the body of the program, making it impossible to hide all traces of the Season Two intro."

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Somebody someplace (man, I really wish I could remember where I got this info) put together a list of the entire network run of the Twilight Zone, reruns and all. Within this list is the following:

"The original “There is a fifth dimension” opening was used exclusively through 05/13/60 (premiere of “The Chaser”). The alternate Season 1 opening, featuring the human eye that turns into the setting sun, was used exclusively from 05/20/60 through 07/01/60 (premieres of the last five episodes and the rerun of “Mr. Denton on Doomsday”). The closing upward pan to the starlit sky was also changed on 05/20/60 from animated miniature suns to simple points of light, but the original sky was preserved for “Mr. Denton on Doomsday.” The “fifth dimension” opening and original sky returned when summer reruns began on 07/08/60 and remained throughout the summer. Bernard Herrmann's closing theme was the only one used throughout this 52-week period."

So I guess the "eye" opening was actually physically spliced into the negative of "Mr. Denton On Doomsday," then. I can live with that...

However!

This still doesn't explain why "A Passage For Trumpet" has the "middle ground" opening on the new DVD, since it originally had the "eye" opening (which was then replaced with the season 2 opening with the Marius Constant theme, since it was reran 02/17/61 during season 2). What the hell?

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I love this set but I have one complaint: The slimcases that house the discs have spindles that do not hold the disc in place that well. Two of my discs keep coming off. The notch or groove that is supposed to support the disc doesn't seem "deep" enough. It's as if I am putting the disc on a cylinder of equal diameter from top to bottom. Thankfully the slimcases are slim so that the disc does not slide around in the case. It's slightly annoying when I open the case and the disc flies out.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering about "Passage" too. I'm guessing they found the Season 2 opening and just assumed it originally had the fifth dimension opening. I'm not going to worry about it....this show changed openings so much even during the original run that it is difficult to sort out.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Quote from ScottR:

I got the answer... Mr. Pickard found an answer for me:

"A technical spokesman from Image Entertainment has kindly offered to respond to your enquiry."

"Many of the Season One 35mm original negatives were altered after their initial broadcast. The episodes in question had Season Two openings physically cut onto the head of the negatives and the down-conversions had to be reconformed during post production. The Season Two openings included proper lap dissolves, on the film, between the starfield and the body of the program, making it impossible to hide all traces of the Season Two intro."

In addition, "Mr. Denton" was originally run with the "Fifth Dimension" opening but was rerun later in the first season with the "Eye Opening." "A Passage for Trumpet" originally aired with the "Eye Opening" and later rerun with a Season 2 opening.

Scott, this final paragraph was not part of the response that originated on the 'Talking Herrmann' forum.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Stephen........I know that wasn't part of the original quote. That's why I framed the response with "". I was trying to add a new paragraph, but the website was wacky....I have amended the post.

ChuckOso

Auditioning
I could have sworn I just saw Season 2 listed at Amazon for $69.99 pre-order. I went back to get the release date and it wasn't there any more. I may have been hallucinating, but thought I would pass it along, FWIW.

ChuckOso

Auditioning
Thanks for helping me not feel crazy.

I did find it just now. Normally when you search for "Twilight Zone Definitive", I would expect it to list the matches, and if there is only one, display it.

When I searched that criteria, it went straight to Season 1, but right below is a link to the Season 2 pre-order product.

And yes, the release is 3/29 @ $69.99

ht tp://w w w. amazon. com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000777IJ2/ref=pd_sim_dv_1/102-0910583-2239330?v=glance&s=dvd

(you need to remove the spaces, I'm still a newbie here.)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I'm on board. I sold the whole set for around 270.00. If I shop for deals, I should only be out by about a third?

Ric

DaveMK

Agent
A question on features. The original 3/4 episode per disc releases had a great feature where they showed the cast and crew list from the episodes. This included many actors who were NOT listed in the regular credits. TZ was notorius for not listing many actors-"No Time Like The Past" omits 5 speaking actors from the credits. Do they have the complete cast list anywhere in the set. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks