What's new

Twilight Zone Definitive Edition (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
For those wondering about the retail price and number of discs for Season 3:

See Post #254 on Page 9.

Aside: After watching "Twenty-Two" it was hard to forget that distracting line through the center of the screen!

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Seems like you've been following this thread (and tvshowsondvd.com) closely, Carlos. I'm surprised you missed the news about the price readjustment for season 3. ;)
Although "Nick of Time" ranks higher than "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" in my book, I disagree about the gremlin costume. I think the face is the key here. It absolutely horrified me as a 5th grader even! After seeing it for the first time, I was afraid to look out any window at night for about a month!

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I have some quality issues with some of the episodes in the season 2 set. First of all, I don't understand why the closing credits in "Eye of the Beholder" look like they came off a bad 16mm syndication print. Couldn't they have found, restored and used a suitable 35mm print? Secondly, I know the videotaped episodes came from the original source, and they were in pretty bad shape, however, why did they use the kinescopes for the opening credits as well as the bumpers? Couldn't they have used one of the regular 35mm, newly restored opening and bumpers from one of the other episodes instead? Also, couldn't they have used the "next week" promos for the episodes not done on videotape from the original 35mm prints instead of the kinescopes? I think that made more logical sense, does anyone else agree?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Wow, I'm sure none of us saw THAT coming.

Image is doing an AWESOME job on these sets, but you know what? It'll never be perfect. No matter what, we're dealing with an almost 50 year-old series. The quality is better than I could have ever dreamed.

Carlos, your endless complaints about the cost and the quality of these DVDs is treading dangerously close to trolling. Since you're clearly not enjoying them, why not just stop buying them? You'd have less to complain about, and the rest of us could continue to enjoy these DVDs in peace.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I don't agree, Carlos, and the reason is simple:

Everything we saw from the end credits to "Eye of the Beholder" to Serling's intros to next week's shows, etc. are exactly how I remember seeing them when I watched these uncut on WHYY from Philadelphia in the mid 1980s.

I wasn't around when these originally aired during the 1960-61 season (all were taped sequentially in late 1960), but I suspect they were the same then too.

In the case of Serling's promos, I believe those were not taped like the rest of those shows but filmed as usual. Those were edited into the videotape when they first aired during the 1960-61 season, so that was all that remained. My theory is that Serling's intros were not kinescopes but regular film on tape, and in those days videotape didn't capture filmed images clearly.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Carlos, your endless complaints about the cost and the quality of these DVDs is treading dangerously close to trolling. Since you're clearly not enjoying them, why not just stop buying them? You'd have less to complain about, and the rest of us could continue to enjoy these DVDs in peace.
Gee Craig, sorry if in pointing out a few facts about the season 2 set I've hurt your feelings so much that you label me a troll. I only wanted to point out a few things that might've been done to the set that could've helped make it even better. As for Image doing an awesome job, I agree, for the most part they have done an awesome job, which leads me to wonder why they fell asleep and gave us such a terrible closing credits on "Eye Of The Beholder". I'd like to know exactly when I said I wasn't enjoying them, I think they are great, and highly recommend them to anyone who can afford them. As for buying them, I think I will, as soon as they become affordable to me. Until then, I'll just have to rent them from Blockbusters. Sorry that those of us who can't afford the set and simply want the price to come down reasonably get labeled a "troll". I'll leave this thread now so that you and everyone else on here can enjoy your DVDs in "peace".

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I guess Carlos missed my post after being rattled by Craig's comments about him being a "troll" (which I don't agree with by the way).
Among several other second season episodes of the series, I first saw "Eye of the Beholder" rerun on WPIX from New York while visiting my grandparents in the summer of 1981. Then, as now --- the end credits looked very warn because although the rest of the print was in much better condition. the closing credits were not replaced at that time.
In the mid 1980s when Viacom reissued the series and cleaned up the prints of all episodes 100% except the closing credits of "Eye of the Beholder" for that particular syndication package. However, a few years later they did clean up those credits for the same episode but that version was also retitled "A Private World of Darkness" which is viewable in the Definitive Edition Season 2 DVD for that episode! Why is 30 seconds that big a deal?? :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
By the way, The Sci-Fi Channel has shown the version with "A Private World of Darkness" in the end credits and that one part of it is also shopworn.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Carlos, my feelings aren't hurt at all by your comments. Sorry the reverse isn't true. If you read back through the entire thread, you'll find multiple examples of complaints on your part regarding these DVDs... including criticisms of Image's work on them (transfers too dark, etc.). And then there's the cost issue, which you've raised many times. Bottom line: if you complain regularly, you're gonna sound like a troll. Or a thread-crapper. Or whatever we're calling it this week. And to be fair, I didn't call you a troll... I said your comments were approaching that status.
But hey man, peace and goodwill and all that stuff. My point was simple: these DVDs rock, but you don't seem to be enjoying them on the level that the rest of us are. They aren't perfect, but they couldn't possibly be. So smile.
:D See? Just like that.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
If you read back through the entire thread, you'll find multiple examples of complaints on your part regarding these DVDs... including criticisms of Image's work on them (transfers too dark, etc.).
I suggest you re-read my posts, Craig, especially on pages 2 (towards the bottom) and page 3 of this thread. I've only praised this set.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Image have obviously went to substantive lengths to make these new HD-transfers looks as good as possible. But they didn't have a blank cheque. They are working with 142 episodes of a TV series that is now over 40 years old. The film elements and original analog video-masters are not going to be in pristine condition. Opening and closing credits are always the most damaged parts of vintage elements.

Bottom line: Image have done a great job with limited resources - they are not Criterion or Warner; they are working with, what can be at times, problematic picture and sound elements; not every episode is going to look and sound like Criterion's . The extras are extensive and if you shop around, you can get them for bargain.

I got Series 1 for $81.17 and Series 2 for $54.34 - not bad at all. I live in Britain and that works out at roughly £42.50 and £28.99, which is indeed a bargain from the perspective of someone who lives in "Rip-off Britain", where I see that Series 1 is coming out in June and lowest price I could find is £47.99 ($91.00).

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Eatin' crow here. Big time. Carlos, I attributed someone else's diatribe about the transfers being too dark to you out of error. For that, I humbly apologize.
I still think you're crazy for liking "Mr. Dingle the Strong" though. :D

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Odd request time...

Does anyone out there have a nice hi-quality photo of Serling? Maybe a publicity type shot? I would like to get ahold of one for an upcoming project.

Ric

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Eatin' crow here. Big time. Carlos, I attributed someone else's diatribe about the transfers being too dark to you out of error. For that, I humbly apologize.
I still think you're crazy for liking "Mr. Dingle the Strong" though.
That's ok Craig :) As for Mr. Dingle, it's just a fun episode to me...I think I can put it in the same category as the Mr. Bevis episode. I actually like those episodes where Serling gave the lead character a funny names like Bevis, Bemis (though a far superior episode of course) and Dingle. Actually those 3 sound like a 3 Stooges Law Firm! :)

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
YAAHH!

I found my Time Element VHS tape!!! I've been searching for it since they first announced the Definitive Edition. I haven't watched it in nearly a decade and forgot about some things on this tape (like the "Place Commercial Here" at the commercial break - I've often wondered where this copy came from).

I REALLY hope they put this on one of the Definitive Editions. I'd love to have a better quality version of this. Until then, I'm gonna put it on DVD-r.

Andrew

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Andrew - You lucky bum!!

I actually like those episodes where Serling gave the lead character a funny names like Bevis, Bemis (though a far superior episode of course) and Dingle. Actually those 3 sound like a 3 Stooges Law Firm!
Don't forget Frisby, Carlos!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks