What's new

Twilight Time joins forces with Sony Pictures to release BD editions of classic Columbia Titles (1 Viewer)

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
FoxyMulder said:
My 500th post at this site. I just ordered Fright Night at screen archives, i hope the expense is worth it, i have fond memories of seeing this back in the eighties, but i gotta say that this is costing me a lot for a blu ray release, in fact its the most i have ever paid for one, $52 which is approx £32 inc registered delivery, registered is costing me a whopping additional $15 but they say a lot of goods go missing when shipped to the UK and without the registered they will not entertain any lost post enquiries, so its safer to go registered. The price would be a lot more reasonable to me without the registered post option, i have done online shopping from a number of sites in the USA, nothing has ever went missing before but that warning scared me into paying extra.
I understand you (I live in Spain), but I risked it with both The Egyptian and Mysterious island, and have been lucky so far, nothing lost. Still cost me 31 Euros (but I don't mind!).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
FoxyMulder said:
My 500th post at this site. The price would be a lot more reasonable to me without the registered post option, i have done online shopping from a number of sites in the USA, nothing has ever went missing before but that warning scared me into paying extra.
I must have bought about 100 sountrack CD's from this site (to the UK) & none of them have ever gone missing, & nore did The Egyptian Blu, which was to be my one & only expensive Blu from TT, but I've gone & ordered Mysterious Island (the last expensive Blu! ...maybe), & didn't pay the extra.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My 500th post at this site.

Malcolm,

Wanted to wish you a happy 500th post. I cannot express enough

how grateful we are for members like you who come here daily and

contribute to this forum.

Thank You!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Porgy and Bess (1959) Maybe someone can answer this question, with the deal that Twilight Time has with Sony and the deal that they have with Fox, I mention both , because it is a Samuel Goldwyn / Columbia release originally. Most of the Goldwyn’s are now under control of MGM which is released by FOX. Also the Gershwin estate has part to play in this as they own rights as well.

My question is does anyone know if there is a possibility of the original 70mm presentation, how badly it is in need of restoration? This is a title that has never had an official release, but would make a great release if done right.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
JoHud said:
I haven't seen it, let alone heard of it. Yet the cast alone has already sold it to me :D
It's a Renoir. A very interesting Renoir, although it does take an adjustment because it's not French. He made few films in English in the USA.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Malcolm,

Wanted to wish you a happy 500th post. I cannot express enough

how grateful we are for members like you who come here daily and

contribute to this forum.

Thank You!

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated and this is the nicest and indeed the most knowledgeable film forum, its very pleasing to see the site owners take part here as that doesn't really happen as much at some of the other large film sites.

Originally Posted by Billy Batson [url=/t/314367/twilight-time-joins-forces-with-sony-pictures-to-release-bd-editions-of-classic-columbia-titles/90#post_3871450]

I must have bought about 100 sountrack CD's from this site (to the UK) & none of them have ever gone missing, & nore did The Egyptian Blu, which was to be my one & only expensive Blu from TT, but I've gone & ordered Mysterious Island (the last expensive Blu! ...maybe), & didn't pay the extra.

I decided to pay the extra this time just in case i am the first one not to receive the shipped item, next time i may take a chance but i'm not much of a gambler.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Regarding Porgy and Bess. This is a great film, which I have unfortunately only seen on a DVD made from a VHS recording of a faded cut panned and scanned 16mm print. [How is that for a sextuple hit!] The story is a long one. 1. The Gershwin estate objected to this film on artistic grounds and tried for decades to suppress it, even destroying prints. The last I heard, they had softened their stance, even allowing some showings (there was one at the Egyptian in 35mm dye transfer magnetic), and there was hope that they might entertain a video release. 2. I heard from someone (not sure who) that the 70mm materials were in the hands of the Goldwyn company and were in good shape, that they wanted to do something with it but were waiting for approval from the Gershwin folks. 3. I don't think that Sony/Columbia has anything to do with this anymore. This is a very significant film historically. It won awards, it is the only film of one of the Gershwins' best works, it has nearly every African-American performer from the era in its cast, it is the last work of one of the greatest showmen of the 20th Century.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by rsmithjr

Regarding Porgy and Bess.
2. I heard from someone (not sure who) that the 70mm materials were in the hands of the Goldwyn company and were in good shape, that they wanted to do something with it but were waiting for approval from the Gershwin folks.
3. I don't think that Sony/Columbia has anything to do with this anymore.
This is a very significant film historically. It won awards, it is the only film of one of the Gershwins' best works, it has nearly every African-American performer from the era in its cast, it is the last work of one of the greatest showmen of the 20th Century.

It now belongs to MGM/UA through their deal with the Goldwyn estate. I the Goldwyn estate does not put the money into it for any work that needs to be done, it is highly unlikely that MGM will, so it will sit on the self for now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The music is magnificent, and the dubbers used for many in the cast were some of the best singers in the business. The direction of the film, unfortunately, is rather static and labored, and Preminger isn't able to electrify the material in the same was he did with Carmen Jones. Still, I'd love to have an official Blu-ray release (or, if the upcoming Broadway revival proves successful, do a film of that version and release it). The show deserves to be much better known.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
With a new (and somewhat controversial) Broadway revival opening soon now's a good time to release it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Given that the Gershwin estate has (1) allowed (or even suggested, as I've read elsewhere) some of those controversial changes in the book and score for the current production (some of most radical of which have been mercifully returned to "normal" by the producers), and (2) that they have even "officially" changed the work's title to the absurd and laughable "The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess"... I would hope that they are no longer withholding the film on the basis of any real or perceived objections to, ahem, artistic standards.

Another obstacle to its release, if I've heard this correctly over the years, has been Sidney Poitier's longstanding objection to the film.

A collector's print shown at the Ziegfeld a few years ago was either very problematic in itself, or the folks at the theater just didn't know how to handle it. If I recall correctly, we were told by the author of the then-new Otto Preminger biography that it was one of the few remaining elements and that something would have to be done soon if it's to be salvaged for a proper home video release and for posterity.

The film itself was gorgeous. I'd seen it once as a kid (it was single-handedly responsible for my lifelong love of Gershwin's music, exactly as the film of "West Side Story" was for the music of Bernstein just a few years later). This time, in 2008, it was obvious to me how incredibly static the staging and cinematography really were...almost shockingly so. There are musical and dramatic moments that would have been highly served by a close-up or some kind of movement or cutting. Nevertheless, it's a masterpiece in its own right and a priceless document. It retains more of the opera score than you'd expect, and the talent involved is beyond incredible.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by ahollis

It now belongs to MGM/UA through their deal with the Goldwyn estate. I the Goldwyn estate does not put the money into it for any work that needs to be done, it is highly unlikely that MGM will, so it will sit on the self for now.

it might depend on the title, also it is realitivitly know, the title is, per se but most people havent seen it, the reason for bringing this up in this thread was the fact of a possible isolated score, the Goldwyn films were not part of the deal that MGM had with Criterion, so i thought that possibly this might be a different route. but a proper presentation would need to be done, think fiddler or CCBB and not WSS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks