What's new

Twilight Time indicates they will re-license some sold-out titles. BREAKING! (6 Viewers)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jari K said:
So TT would create a 3rd master for The Fury? I highly doubt it. TT doesn't remaster titles.IMO TT should focus on the films that are not generally available elsewhere (on Blu). This could help:http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=239285
I thought i read, you can correct me if i am wrong, that Twilight Time were going to pay for a title, their first, anyways, i doubt it's The Fury too, i'm speculating, the new 4K scanned title is more likely a Sony/Columbia title or Journey To The Center Of the Earth.

Note i am not saying Twilight Time are paying for that 4K scan but i heard they are putting money towards a future title.

I disagree that Twilight Time should focus only on titles not available elsewhere, their market is the USA, not everyone imports or has a multi-region player, it might also be the case they release a superior version to what is available elsewhere, case in point being The Blue Max, or indeed Zulu, although i was disappointed with the baked in edge enhancement.

Are you having problems using the quote button, i note you never use it when quoting. ?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I'm often using my iPhone so I guess it's faster (for me) just to copy-and-paste. HTF is actually pretty slow site at my work.Btw. I've always wondered why TT released Savini's NotLD. There are several companies (Shout etc) that could've made the film justice. I mean who knows, perhaps "Unrated" version can still be created etc? I would never pay 30$ for the current version. Unrated would be another matter.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
ROclockCK said:
P.S. Eddie. Fright Night, like many (if not most) of Sony's masters presented via TT, is already from a 4k harvest.
Ah. In that case I think Journey to the Center of the Earth and The Big Heat are the only realistic possibilities. Though of course I'd prefer the former moreso, since it could clearly look so much better.
FoxyMulder said:
That 2K scan was paid for by Arrow and two other international labels, i don't see Twilight Time getting it, it's not unused.
I'm not sure how it works, but I've heard that Fox retain the rights to the transfer. Maybe not? By unused I meant stateside.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EddieLarkin said:
Ah. In that case I think Journey to the Center of the Earth and The Big Heat are the only realistic possibilities. Though of course I'd prefer the former moreso, since it could clearly look so much better.

I'm not sure how it works, but I've heard that Fox retain the rights to the transfer. Maybe not? By unused I meant stateside.
They will retain the rights as it's their film but i imagine the contract is for a certain number of years, i don't know, you might be right, maybe they can licence it for the USA market only.

Maybe we can get a competition going, Twilight Time can award a free copy of the new 4K scanned title, put us all in a big hat and make the draw live via webcam. I know Home Theater Forum sometimes has competitions but overseas readers always miss out.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
So, it sounds like they plan to do more than just re-license, but actually create a 'new and improved' product.If that is so, will they provide some sort of discounted upgrade path for customers who've already purchased a particular product?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Is there anyway TT could use whatever clout they have with Fox/MGM to get cooperation on The Alamo. I realize that they couldn't fund the restoration themselves, but perhaps they could get the go ahead for other efforts. Moreover, as much as TT likes isolated scores, The Alamo would be an ideal candidate.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Weicker said:
So, it sounds like they plan to do more than just re-license, but actually create a 'new and improved' product.If that is so, will they provide some sort of discounted upgrade path for customers who've already purchased a particular product?
We're talking about a small company here, not Amazon that can do such things without much effect on their profit margins.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
JoeDoakes said:
Is there anyway TT could use whatever clout they have with Fox/MGM to get cooperation on The Alamo. I realize that they couldn't fund the restoration themselves, but perhaps they could get the go ahead for other efforts. Moreover, as much as TT likes isolated scores, The Alamo would be an ideal candidate.
I don't think it's a case of money with The Alamo, i believe Robert Harris explained that, it's political, someone doesn't like it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think it's more a lack of interest in preservation of film milestones by the current regime of Barber and Birnbaum. They're more interested in generating income for the company by rehashing old IP.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stephen_J_H said:
I think it's more a lack of interest in preservation of film milestones by the current regime of Barber and Birnbaum.
Sounds like a law firm, something you would find in a book written by John Grisham. :lol:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Haven't read back through the thread, but there did seem to be some muttering that re-issuing a title lessened its 'limited edition' appeal.
I can't see that. It's not as if they're numbered and signed! The initial 3000 issue number is part of an economic rationale. If by chance a particular title sells well enough to warrant re-licencing for a further release, then that has got to be good for Twilight Time, and for its buyers, whether the second tranche has special extra attractions or not.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
AnthonyClarke said:
Haven't read back through the thread, but there did seem to be some muttering that re-issuing a title lessened its 'limited edition' appeal.
I can't see that. It's not as if they're numbered and signed! The initial 3000 issue number is part of an economic rationale. If by chance a particular title sells well enough to warrant re-licencing for a further release, then that has got to be good for Twilight Time, and for its buyers, whether the second tranche has special extra attractions or not.
Exactly. It's an economic breakeven point. It has nothing to do with creating a "Limited Edition" mystique and inflated price. They're labelled "Limited Edition" because that's exactly what they are. They are not open ended runs, even if they're re-licensed for another 3,000 or 5,000 units.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AnthonyClarke said:
It's all about the 29.95 price point again. If these titles were being sold for 19.99, you wouldn't hear a peep about "limited edition" appeal.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
By my count, 9 of TT's sold out Blu-rays will qualify for relicensing by the end of 2015. And yet, they have renegotiated for only 4 re-releases; in their own words "just a select few that we believe can be improved upon...all of the reissues will have extra features and be in some sense substantially different from the first edition."

Things change. 3 years can be an eternity in home video. Masters and Features which simply were not available (or practical, or affordable) in 2011/2012, might now be possible for a 2015 special edition, also limited. As others have noted, licensee renegotiation for such SE re-releases is not without precedence*

* How many kicks at the can have Anchor Bay/Starz had with Halloween?

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I believe too that Sony's views on letting TT have bonus materials has changed too so I would expect things that were missing first time around to be added in now, as well as continuing the process of adding commentaries that has been a frequent thing lately.I also imagine that anyone who has a first version release could sell it for a profit to a collector who wants that version alongside the new one...

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have The Big Heat and Journey and would buy them again if there was a significant improvement in PQ (although The Big Heat looks very good) or some new features. The price point is irrelevant to me because I only buy titles I really want now. No more rummaging in bargain bins for me!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EddieLarkin said:
A helpful criterionforum post reveals why the new 4K title is almost certainly Journey to the Center of the Earth:

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2014/06/30/12-hours-ritrovato-time/
Good article.

This part worries me, this could become a bigger problem in the future especially with regards grain reduction, i'll quote it below.

"All the panelists agreed that digital restorations are rapidly improving; ones finished only a few years ago could now be done better. A major problem coming up is that younger restoration workers know the digital tools better than the look and feel of photochemical, particularly the surface of older films. Grover recalled that one eager techie added flicker to a Capra silent because he thought that was how old movies looked."

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
It's an economic breakeven point. It has nothing to do with creating a "Limited Edition" mystique and inflated price. They're labelled "Limited Edition" because that's exactly what they are. They are not open ended runs, even if they're re-licensed for another 3,000 or 5,000 units.
Yeah, TT is just keeping us informed by adding "Limited Edition" on the cover, that's all. No reason to "HURRY!!!", right? ;)

This "Limited Edition" thing is business for TT (break-even points etc), but it's also one very important marketing tool. You have to justify the higher price point and the fact that you can't get these titles from e.g. Amazon.com. How do you do it?

1) The film. For some people this is enough. Quality film on BD, perhaps for the first time.
2) Extras. Are there any extras? How about some exclusive extras (produced by TT)?
3) Limited edition model. You know that you've something special (at least among the certain niche group of collectors) when the title goes OOP. Even "collector's item". And you can perhaps make a bit of money later on if you want to sell it.

I believe TT can remove nr. 2 (based on the various comments from TT fans), but I don't think they can remove nr. 3. People want to have something that's "limited". Limited Edition sells more than regular release, since some people feel that they have to buy the item right away - and there are no "sales" coming in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks