What's new

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases March-June 2013 (1 Viewer)

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Ed Lachmann said:
Another lost treasure that came to mind after PRINCE OF PLAYERS was mentioned is Henry Levin's 1953 Fox biopic THE PRESIDENT'S LADY, with a wonderful Andrew Jackson reprise for Charlton Heston and a sultry turn by Susan Hayward. It's been years, but I remember it fondly and have the gorgeous Alfred Newman score that was recently released on cd.
Fox really needs to restore and release these, even if it's via TT. They both would be must-buys for me.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Moe Dickstein said:
It's been said that the Sony deal ONLY covers titles already released on DVD
Yeah, that's what I indicated in my post. When I first saw Jay Gregory's post, it almost read to me like Twilight Time had specifically alluded to REMEMBER MY NAME as "coming at some point."

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am done with the Fox MOD Program! I have copies of all my favorite fox films and if TT does not do them then forget it. Why they would give a Pan and Scan Tender is the Night when they show it in letter box on the Fox Movie Channel is beyond me. You cannot say however that they did say it would be wide screen. We just were not told. I say once again thanks Twilight Time and I hope we still can see some of those Fox favorites come from your company. Boy on Dolphin Beyond the 12 mile Reef Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea King of the Kyber Rifles I'D Climb The Highest Mountain Presdents Lady Sink the Bismark etc.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Mark Collins said:
I am done with the Fox MOD Program! I have copies of all my favorite fox films and if TT does not do them then forget it. Why they would give a Pan and Scan Tender is the Night when they show it in letter box on the Fox Movie Channel is beyond me. You cannot say however that they did say it would be wide screen. We just were not told. I say once again thanks Twilight Time and I hope we still can see some of those Fox favorites come from your company. Boy on Dolphin Beyond the 12 mile Reef Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea King of the Kyber Rifles I'D Climb The Highest Mountain Presdents Lady Sink the Bismark etc.
I see Boy on a Dolphin, Beneath the 12 mile Reef, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and King of the Kyber Rifles coming from TT. Not so sure about the rest. I'm really hoping for Fox to release Sink the Bismarck themselves since it was a part of their War Classics DVD line. I think that there are other titles with more notable composers than STB that TT is looking at right now. EDIT: Voyage and King are NOT being released by TT. I have received this info from TT through a third party.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I watched Major Dundee on UK television in the past few days, the first time I have seen it. It has been poorly reviewed over the years and I can't quite make my mind up about it. I will wait for the Blu-ray reviews before I decide.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Keith Cobby said:
I watched Major Dundee on UK television in the past few days, the first time I have seen it. It has been poorly reviewed over the years and I can't quite make my mind up about it. I will wait for the Blu-ray reviews before I decide.
Was it the original cut or the longer version? HDNet Movies showed it here a couple of years ago, but it was only the original cut. I prefer the cut with some of the missing scenes restored. Major Dundee is one of those films that does not quite gel, IMO. But it is one of those rare films that I like in spite of his flaws. To me it starts to go downhill around the time
the Major takes an arrow in the leg.
I've always felt that it started out great and became less great about halfway through. I think it is disappointing the the 2nd half does not live up to the promise of the first half. However, I like the good parts enough to enjoy the film as a whole. Heston has seldom been better. It's one of those "the sum of the parts is greater than the whole" type of movies for me.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
David. I checked on the Film4 (UK channel) site and they have a running time of 134 minutes so I am not sure if this is helpful. Overall running time was longer to allow for advertising breaks. Charlton Heston was the best thing about the film, although I thought some of the more minor roles were good. Richard Harris is good in the right film but I have never been a fan of Jim Hutton. I am not sure what Senta Berger was doing! Occasionally I find that a really good quality picture enhances a mediocre film. I had this experience a couple of weeks ago watching Written On The Wind on TV in HD. Although I have the Criterion DVD which is pretty good, it was like watching a different film. It may be that a good Blu-ray will elevate Major Dundee!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I wish Twilight Time would give us that great film that Sony owns Salome. You can only buy it on VHS. I think they would have a market for it.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Mark Collins said:
I wish Twilight Time would give us that great film that Sony owns Salome. You can only buy it on VHS. I think they would have a market for it.
Hi Mark! "Salome" on DVD in "The Films of Rita Hayworth" boxed set. I'd love to see it on Blu.
d8076127_81MQCV5-5pL._SL1500_.jpeg

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Sony also released a stand alone SALOME DVD in the U.K. some years ago. The good news is that it looks fabulous, and with my Oppo doing its upscale "thing" appears almost BD in quality when I play it. I'm certain that if such a release by TT were possible, we fans would be bowled over at the sharpness and saturated colors present if this pristine print is used. Perhaps the HUGE success of History's BIBLE series will persuade companies to put out more of these. My most wanted also include SOLOMON AND SHEBA, BARABBAS, STORY OF RUTH and FRANCIS OF ASSISI.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ed Lachmann said:
My most wanted also include SOLOMON AND SHEBA, BARABBAS, STORY OF RUTH and FRANCIS OF ASSISI.
You and I have very similar taste! I would gladly pay Twilight Time's prices for those four films.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Keith Cobby said:
David. I checked on the Film4 (UK channel) site and they have a running time of 134 minutes so I am not sure if this is helpful. Overall running time was longer to allow for advertising breaks.
That sounds like the extended version. The original cut version was around 2 hours. The most significant restored scene is Dundee and his men returning to the fort after the opening massacre scene and capturing Captain Tyreen and some of his men escaping. The attempted escape is only referred to in the short version.
Charlton Heston was the best thing about the film, although I thought some of the more minor roles were good. Richard Harris is good in the right film but I have never been a fan of Jim Hutton. I am not sure what Senta Berger was doing!
Harris did chew a little scenery, but I liked Hutton as the inexperienced lieutenant who toughens up during the campaign. Senta Berger was just there to look sensational, I guess (she succeeded admirably).

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Andrew Budgell said:
Hi Mark! "Salome" on DVD in "The Films of Rita Hayworth" boxed set.]
(Which brings up those speculations of whether Miss Sadie Thompson will be the "mysterious" Columbia 3D film TT has up its sleeves...)
Ed Lachmann said:
Perhaps the HUGE success of History's BIBLE series will persuade companies to put out more of these. My most wanted also include SOLOMON AND SHEBA, BARABBAS, STORY OF RUTH and FRANCIS OF ASSISI.
...You LIKED Barabbas? :confused: (Yes, the stunt of filming an actual solar eclipse for the Crucifixion was cool, but the point that you spent three hours waiting for this loudmouth slob to actually DO something worked better in the book.)

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Andrew Budgell said:
Hi Mark! "Salome" on DVD in "The Films of Rita Hayworth" boxed set. I'd love to see it on Blu.
I wasn't a huge fan of Salome when I saw it, although I'd certainly buy a Twilight Time Blu-Ray if it came with an isolated score track. Actually, if I had my druthers, all five films in the Rita Hayworth box set would be on Blu-ray already. Cover Girl is a nice start (released last July), but I'm impatiently waiting for Gilda and Tonight and Every Night.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
The Rita Hayworth Box had more release date re-sets than I had hot dinners ad the saying goes. We did get it, eventually. No idea what delayed it so many times.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Ed Lachmann said:
Sony also released a stand alone SALOME DVD in the U.K. some years ago. The good news is that it looks fabulous, and with my Oppo doing its upscale "thing" appears almost BD in quality when I play it. I'm certain that if such a release by TT were possible, we fans would be bowled over at the sharpness and saturated colors present if this pristine print is used. Perhaps the HUGE success of History's BIBLE series will persuade companies to put out more of these. My most wanted also include SOLOMON AND SHEBA, BARABBAS, STORY OF RUTH and FRANCIS OF ASSISI.
Solomon and Sheba is an MGM/UA title. Therefore, TT does not have access to it.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Ejanss said:
But the point that you spent three hours waiting for this loudmouth slob to actually DO something worked better in the book.)
I felt the same in STAR WARS. Wading through those babbling robots, that cheap one shot bar and those loudmouths Solo and Leia arguing incessantly was hardly worth the finale chase scene. Seriously, I love BARABBAS, I love the arena and gladiator school stuff with Jack Palance, the mine scenes, the Nascimbene score, Silvana Mangano in that intense stoning scene, practically everything. For my money, it moved a hell of a lot faster than LINCOLN. But, I love most all of DeMille and Vidor and those directors who are not "modern" in any sense. That, to me, is the charm of them. Tried to buy SAMSON AND DELILAH today (wish it were a BD) at Walmarts all around L.A. Sold out everywhere. Maybe the studios are underestimating the biblical/historical epic fans.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ed Lachmann said:
I felt the same in STAR WARS. Wading through those babbling robots, that cheap one shot bar and those loudmouths Solo and Leia arguing incessantly was hardly worth the finale chase scene. Seriously, I love BARABBAS, I love the arena and gladiator school stuff with Jack Palance, the mine scenes, the Nascimbene score, Silvana Mangano in that intense stoning scene, practically everything. For my money, it moved a hell of a lot faster than LINCOLN.
Well, meant that the point of the book is that we see that Barabbas took the "other" path, and kept living his bad-end life, ended up for thirty years in the salt mines, and only eventually realized why everyone was piling guilt on him--Symbolizing how we have guilt piled on ourselves, but go on arrogantly leading our own vain self-indulgent lives, annoyed with being told about the "sacrifice" religion made for us, etc. Sort of like the similar "side-character" story of The Robe, but maybe I'm spoiled for seeing that one first and having Richard Burton come to that realization.....sooner. :confused:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Of course, Marcus Vinicius had a similar dilemma in QUO VADIS, and it took him almost as long as Barabbas. I do understand what you're saying. I'm just a bit thin skinned with my beloved epics. I mean, someone wrote recently in a TT discussion article "THE EGYPTIAN, of course, is not a very good film". I really wondered just what this person would consider "a good film". And, as much venom that is pointed to SODOM AND GOMORRAH won't diminish it as a guilty pleasure of mine. I don't care what Paul Newman thought, THE SILVER CHALICE is a hoot, as well! Again, it is really Jack Palance's film and he is outlandishly wonderful in it. That Roman banquet is to die for as are those remarkably bizarre and colorful sets. Another one I'd LOVE a BD of, if Warners will let me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks