What's new

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases March/April 2013 (2 Viewers)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Laserdiscs were not very expensive, especially compared to low-featured rental-priced VHS. For a while, Warner was selling 1-disc movies for $24.98. 2-disc movies were $29.98. Yes, prices ranged from $35-$50 for many movies, Criterions were more, "Special Editions" were more, but it was all cheaper than rental VHS. And VHS would not hold up to multiple plays, fast-forward/rewind/slow motion (something I always enjoyed on CAV discs, and later CLV discs with a digital pause function on the laserdisc player.)
And don't forget that laserdisc led to digital sound and 5.1 sound.
Sure, they were unwieldy and heavy. DVD solved that nicely.
Sorry, I was enjoying the trip down memory lane. Most of my laserdisc collection suffered from water and mold damage, including most of my Criterions (the good ones, too). Of course, I upgraded to DVD and now Blu-ray, and some HD-DVD in between. But I still miss the Citizen Kane fast forwarded in a moment of the original Criterion laserdisc.
Now what was this thread originally about? I'll be ordering The Fury.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
V
Steve Tannehill said:
Laserdiscs were not very expensive, especially compared to low-featured rental-priced VHS. For a while, Warner was selling 1-disc movies for $24.98. 2-disc movies were $29.98. Yes, prices ranged from $35-$50 for many movies, Criterions were more, "Special Editions" were more, but it was all cheaper than rental VHS. And VHS would not hold up to multiple plays, fast-forward/rewind/slow motion (something I always enjoyed on CAV discs, and later CLV discs with a digital pause function on the laserdisc player.)
And don't forget that laserdisc led to digital sound and 5.1 sound.
Sure, they were unwieldy and heavy. DVD solved that nicely.
Sorry, I was enjoying the trip down memory lane. Most of my laserdisc collection suffered from water and mold damage, including most of my Criterions (the good ones, too). Of course, I upgraded to DVD and now Blu-ray, and some HD-DVD in between. But I still miss the Citizen Kane fast forwarded in a moment of the original Criterion laserdisc.
Now what was this thread originally about? I'll be ordering The Fury.
Viva Laserdiscs
I kept my collection and am proud if it. My Star Wars black box set will never be replicated! Nor Criterion West Side Story in CAV! And the commentary in the Criterion Magnificent Ambersons- a film course to be returned to always. Love them all.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Just wanted to give a heads up that Christine and The Fury went up for pre-order today, and Christine is selling at a record pace. It's already down to 500 copies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Conway said:
Just wanted to give a heads up that Christine and The Fury went up for pre-order today, and Christine is selling at a record pace. It's already down to 500 copies.
Holy crap! HUGE thanks for the headsup. I thought they went on sale on March 13 but I got my order in time. Thanks again!

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Jobla said:
I hope that Twilight Time has OBSESSION on their future schedule. I'd love to have an audio track with Bernard Herrmann's great score isolated. There has never been a CD release of Herrmann's complete score for OBSESSION.
I actually have yet to hear his score for OBSESSION. But regarding the lack of a complete score on CD, the scoring tapes may not exist in complete form.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The Pioneer Special Editions laserdisc of OBSESSION did offer an isolated music track. However, laserdiscs are so last century!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Christine has officially sold out. Took less than 5 hours. (Previously quickest sell out was The Night of the Living Dead (1990), which took 8 days).
Sony is probably kicking themselves for handing over that title, while Twilight just paid a ton of bills with this release.
Sony has started to schedule some of their titles for non-US release (The Blue Lagoon, As Good As It Gets), so if those are region free I can see Christine following sooner rather than later.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It's under 200 now. I put my order in for both Christine and The Fury and got the confirmation. I'm glad I saw this thread. The remaining 187 or so won't last long. They have a restriction up now saying limit of 2 per customer. You'd think that they'd go ahead and add another 1000 if they sell out by tonight or tomorrow. Don't think that would be a big deal, given the sales numbers they've already hit.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Kevin EK You'd think that they'd go ahead and add another 1000 if they sell out by tonight or tomorrow. Don't think that would be a big deal, given the sales numbers they've already hit.
They can't. The deal with Sony is specifically for 3000 copies and neither Sony or Twilight Time can reprint for three years in the US market.
Sony, on the other hand, can sell it in any place outside the US where they have the rights to the film at any time they want.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I guess I'm out of the loop. Any idea why Christine would be so popular? I mean, I liked it, and I have it on DVD, but I'll bet it hasn't been in my player in five years or more. Is there some kind of cool factor about it that I'm unaware of?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
On another board - yes, that silly, silly forum, they said hours ago that Christine sold out. Neither Christine OR The Fury have sold out - what is with these silly people?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the "eBay factor". Screen Archives stupidly (IMO) was allowing folks to order 10 copies apiece of these "limited" titles, and you better believe most if not all of those 10 pieces were ending up on eBay at inflated prices after Screen Archives sold out of their stock. They changed CHRISTINE to only 2 copies apiece when it started selling out so quickly, but frankly that should have been their rule in the first place. Vincent

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The Screen Archives site crashed for a half hour when the titles went on sale, but I did get copies of each film. I'm kind of surprised at the demand as well and glad I managed to get my order in. Who woulda thunk it? Curious if they'll do more horror titles later in the year based on this kind of interest.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
haineshisway said:
On another board - yes, that silly, silly forum, they said hours ago that Christine sold out. Neither Christine OR The Fury have sold out - what is with these silly people?
Apparently CHRISTINE DID "sell out", but it was later determined this was due to an improperly processed order. Look at post #108 in this very thread. I was able to order a copy myself just a few minutes ago. Vincent

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
MattH. said:
I guess I'm out of the loop. Any idea why Christine would be so popular? I mean, I liked it, and I have it on DVD, but I'll bet it hasn't been in my player in five years or more. Is there some kind of cool factor about it that I'm unaware of?
Yes, the subculture of horror fanatics and Stephen King fanatics. The fact that Christine was not a very good film does not matter. It's not Carrie, heaven knows or even The Shining. I wanted to love it back when it came out, but I didn't like it much at all. I've seen it once since and couldn't even get thirty minutes in.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Vincent_P said:
Apparently CHRISTINE DID "sell out", but it was later determined this was due to an improperly processed order. Look at post #108 in this very thread. Vincent
Well, I think people enjoy the fun of panic :) I go right to the source and it has not sold out. It will, of course, but it hasn't yet.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Vincent_P
I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the "eBay factor". Screen Archives stupidly (IMO) was allowing folks to order 10 copies apiece of these "limited" titles, and you better believe most if not all of those 10 titles were ending up on eBay at inflated prices after Screen Archives sold out of their stock. They changed CHRISTINE to only 2 copies apiece when it started selling out so quickly, but frankly that should have been their rule in the first place.
Vincent
I agree - pre-orders should be limited to 2 copies per customer from the beginning. Once street date hits if they want to ease up on that then fine, but it's really ridiculous to allow eBay scalpers to buy out so much of the first 1500 copies only to see them resell them for $50+.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by haineshisway
Well, I think people enjoy the fun of panic I go right to the source and it has not sold out. It will, of course, but it hasn't yet.
It's down to ~150 copies. It'll sell out officially in a couple more hours. Even if it doesn't, 2800 copies in 6 hours is pretty impressive.
I ordered my one copy today because I liked the film enough to own it when I watched it from a Netflix DVD rental last week. Not the best Carpenter of the era, but still liked it quite a bit. To each their own.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by MattH.
As both a Steven King fan and a John Carpenter fan I always thought this one was overlooked a bit. It's always been a bit of a favourite of mine. Plus the special effects with the car are pretty sweet so those fans are interested too. But those two names alone should of been enough to get this one a regular release. Especially with "They Live" and other much lesser films doing so well at Shout/Scream Factory.
This is the first time I've bit on a twilight time release. Being in Canada, they really pound you with the shipping. You have to add $25 or they wont replace any lost orders that don't get to you. I've seen a lot of BS from companies before, but that's a new one. I added in Bye Bye Birdie and The Egyptian to my order of Christine and The Fury to ease the pain of that freight charge and make it a little more worthwhile.
The way they sell out of genre titles- the titles I'm most interested in, I doubt I'll be able to justify getting any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks