What's new

Twilight Time announces Blu-ray releases July-August 2013 (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
ROclockCK said:
Top of my list is The Disappearance.

I love this label when they're in "who saw that coming" mode. Like Rapture...like Swamp Water...like The Wayward Bus...like High Time...like The Only Game In Town. TT restores my faith in the capacity for home video to be funky, eclectic, and unpredictable.
As I've said, The Disappearance is really interesting, looks great, and is one of Donald Sutherland's best films.

Real Name
Wilbur Post
Just popped my copy of "Major Dundee" in the player for a quick look at the first disc. First impressions are very good - nice detail and colour in the few scenes I saw. Made me remember just how much I like the film, warts and all…

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Screen Archives say fewer than 50 copies of The Egyptian Blu-ray remain.

I've just placed my pre-order for Leave Her To Heaven. I'll be glad to replace the lacklustre DVD.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'm looking forward to ordering The Driver and Body Double--never thought I'd see them on blu-ray! I'm at home with a fever today and I finally made my first order from TT/Screen Gems (Major Dundee, The Fury, Experiment in Terror). I took a bit of a risk in not selecting the $35 shipping option (Are shipments to Canada really lost frequently? I live in a city of 1.2 million, not a remote fur trading post. Hell, I hope my illness doesn't cost me my order.). Assuming my current order arrives, I will happily order many of the July/August titles!

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
From TT's Facebook:
In other news, Sony's technical services and mastering department have informed us that the stunning new transfer of Brian De Palma's BODY DOUBLE (1984) has been completed, and has been personally supervised by veteran cinematographer Stephen H. Burum. However, Mr Burum has apparently revisited the color timing of certain scenes, so sections of the film may look different to previous homme-video incarnations. We don't have any more details and have not yet seen the finished product, but as we promised you after NOTLD90, if we got word that changes had been made to a film's look, we would pass it along. We will remind fans again of this before pre-orders go up.
Is there anyone here who is familiar with the look of the film? How accurate were the DVDs to what was originally intended? Some people on the net are already starting to give worried looks, but if the older transfer was way off base this announcement can only be a good thing.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Moe Dickstein said:
If Steven Burum is doing it, then it will be right.
Like NotLD was? Personally I'm not worried at all, I presume he's making it look how it should. But let's not pretend it's out of the realm of possibility some DPs or directors may get an inkling to reinvent the way a film looks (French Connection?)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Veryhappy to see Leave Her to Heaven getting a Blu ray incarnation .. but sad it's on Twilight Time, which means maximum bucks for a bare-bones release. Add international postage to Australia, and these 'limited' releases really make me think twice about ordering.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
AnthonyClarke said:
maximum bucks for a bare-bones release.
"Special Features: Isolated Score Track / Audio Commentary with actor Darryl Hickman and critic Richard Schickel / Movietone News Footage / Original Theatrical Trailer"

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I'm in Australia and have no qualms at all ordering from TT. Just wait until you have 2-3 BDs lined up before ordering, and you won't pay a huge amount in postage. I ordered Experiment in Terror along with Leave Her to Heaven, and postage came to $12 for the pair. I also skipped the added $15 "insurance" option as I normally do. It's not a huge price to pay for great movies on Blu.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
No one should think twice about Leave Her to Heaven. I got a sneak peek at it yesterday and it looks pretty terrific. I don't think it's much of a secret that the camera negative doesn't exist anymore, so the restoration that was done was done of an internegative. But there's nothing wrong with that and the result is beautiful, I thought, at least the sections I saw (I skimmed through most of it, and, of course, had to stop and have my breath taken away every time Gene Tierney was on camera). The detail at times is astonishing - you can actually see the texture of the paper during the main titles, and Miss Tierney's close-ups are worth the price of the disc. The color looks great. The opticals are, of course, opticals and look like - opticals. Can't wait to settle in and watch all of it start to finish, but I was very happy with what I saw.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
No one should think twice about Leave Her to Heaven. I got a sneak peek at it yesterday and it looks pretty terrific. I don't think it's much of a secret that the camera negative doesn't exist anymore, so the restoration that was done was done of an internegative. But there's nothing wrong with that and the result is beautiful, I thought, at least the sections I saw (I skimmed through most of it, and, of course, had to stop and have my breath taken away every time Gene Tierney was on camera). The detail at times is astonishing - you can actually see the texture of the paper during the main titles, and Miss Tierney's close-ups are worth the price of the disc. The color looks great. The opticals are, of course, opticals and look like - opticals. Can't wait to settle in and watch all of it start to finish, but I was very happy with what I saw.
Thank you for your comments as I almost forgot to preorder this title.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
As critical as I've been at times of high priced, bare bones, boutique label releases, I do highly recommend THE EGYPTIAN to anyone on the fence. Though it was more stagy than I remembered from seeing it on the big screen in the 90's, it is still a 50's epic that deserves to be seen in the best possible way and TT's Blu Ray serves that well. I had no issues with the quality of the release and fully expected it to sell out long before now, but given the price and the generally negative reputation of the film itself, it didn't really kick start the non-converts. But for anyone who believes as I do that Blu Ray is the savior of that wonderful period of E P I C filmmaking in the 50's and early 60's, it's a must have.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Brandon Conway said:
The Blu-ray of The Egyptian has sold out. There are DVD copies still available.
I was basing my recommendation on Post #43 above from April 20 saying there were copies still left. I didn't know they had sold out since then. In any case, the rest of my post still has merit, I hope. :D

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Brandon Conway said:
The Blu-ray of The Egyptian has sold out. There are DVD copies still available.
In that case, either Screen Archives' email to me was incorrect or they sold 50 copies in the past few days.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
haineshisway said:
Thank you. I'm very glad to hear that. Gene Tierney always leaves me cold but I will carefully examine her close-ups! I will also scrutinize Jeanne Crain's close-ups. She has never left me cold!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Robin9 said:
In that case, either Screen Archives' email to me was incorrect or they sold 50 copies in the past few days.
It was not and they did.I'm pretty sure the email said less then fifty left anyway.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I suspect once it become known that there were only a few dozen copies left, the Ebay scalpers snapped them up for their own purposes.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
People have had plenty of time to buy the blu-ray. I am pleased another title has sold out (although with no help from me) because it helps support some of the titles I have bought which have been less popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks