What's new

Twentieth Century Fox will make 100 films available digitally for the first time ever (1 Viewer)

P

Patrick Donahue

Ken Koc said:
What will the App store contain...something I can use to play on my Samsung 4K?
If you have 4K then you're better off going with the new Roku 4, which will stream 4K

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
gcardu10 said:
While I would prefer that all these films be released on physical media, I am very pleased to see many titles from the 20's and 30's that have not been released before.

I have never heard of several films on the list, which shows that Fox is dipping deep into its catalog of titles, which I feared they had stopped doing, with their minimal output so far this year.

I do have one question. I have never purchased a movie digitally before and my fear is that if I purchase a title and it goes out of print, etc., that Apple could delete it from my account, without my having any say in the issue. Is this a valid concern?
nah. you'll be fine.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JoeDoakes said:
I think this is some of the biggest and greatest news ever. . . . .

Anyway, I'm super excited. Thank you Fox! Now, if I could just figure out this streaming business, I'll be all set.

Yes, it seems I'm going to have to figure out this streaming business too! Oh well . . .

P

Patrick Donahue

I was just able to buy a copy of Call Northside 777 in 1080p through iTunes - a personal favorite of mine. Say what you will about digital but I'm a happy camper right now ;)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It'll be a sad day if certain titles are only available this way and not on physical media ..

There are no HD download sites in Australia.for video or even for audio!

And no-one in Australia seems to understand that some people might like to download HD files.

I can buy for download some HD audio tracks from one site in the USA, but only because they have somenow accepted a fake residential addresss The main HD site, 'HD Tracks', registers that I'm a foreigner and refuses to sell to me. And iTunes is the same. Shucks....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've been saying for a long time that there is going to be a huge market for titles that don't require the expense of a physical release but deserve more than being dumped onto Netflix.

Not all titles require uncompressed audio and sound and will look just terrific on things like Apple TV.

I'm all for it.

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Looks like more titles went up on iTunes today. So far I've found:

The Mark of Zorro

Daddy Long Legs

Jane Eyre (with Orson Welles)

The Big Trail

The Sun Also Rises

This is in addition to the titles that went up just a few days ago, like Call Northside 777 and The Keys to the Kingdom. They're getting through the list pretty quick!

Vudu has barely posted any of the titles yet, hope they will catch up at some point.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Have any of the previously unavailable ford films been posted yet?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert, just curious, what service did you use for the rental/purchase? iTunes/AppleTV or something else?

P

Patrick Donahue

Robert Crawford said:
This afternoon I viewed Call Northside 777 in 1080p and it looked great. It's not physical media, but at least I have it in HD digital format.
One of my favorites! Terribly underrated.

I, too, bought from iTunes but am waiting for all these Fox titles to finally hit Vudu so I can buy in UV. Hopefully House on 92nd Street will show up soon...

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Adam_S said:
Have any of the previously unavailable ford films been posted yet?

Ford films posted so far:

My Darling Clementine (iTunes)

Young Mr Lincoln (iTunes & Vudu)

The Prisoner of Shark Island (iTunes & Vudu)

The Seas Beneath (iTunes & Vudu)

Doctor Bull (iTunes)

Tobacco Road (iTunes & Vudu)

World Moves On (iTunes & Vudu)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Patrick Mason said:
Ford films posted so far:

My Darling Clementine (iTunes)
Young Mr Lincoln (iTunes & Vudu)
The Prisoner of Shark Island (iTunes & Vudu)
The Seas Beneath (iTunes & Vudu)
Doctor Bull (iTunes)
Tobacco Road (iTunes & Vudu)
World Moves On (iTunes & Vudu)
thank you! Is there a day they add batches of new titles?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I looked up those titles as well as some others on Vudu yesterday. I'm probably going to bite on The Prisoner of Shark Island.

FamilyFunTime

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karen
I'm an oldie and even I can see the advantage of digital libraries!

1. I'll never again lose my collection to burglars! Was burglarized last year and had to replace whatever I could. Extremely time consuming and not everything I could remember was available anymore. Also, there were some I know I didn't remember because there were so many. When I remember them now, it's too late to make the claim on my insurance.

2. My place looks better without all the media storage needed for all that physical media!

3. My place looks better without having to look at all that physical media.

4. It's much faster finding and loading movies and TV shows from my digital library than finding and loading a physical disc.

5. I don't have to get out of bed or up from the sofa to change movies (sorry folks, getting up to change a disc is NOT exercise so no big loss).

6. I can access ALL my movies pretty much ANYWHERE I go without lugging any discs around.

7. I can watch any of my movies with a friend at their place or when traveling.

8. I can download any movie file to a mobile device for watching when there isn't Internet service, like on a plane.

9. My digital movies won't ever deteriorate like a disc does.

10. My digital movies can't be destroyed by fire, flood, or abuse by children or pets.

11. I can always take screen shots of my account history and email the files to me if I'm paranoid about the 'host' losing all the data.

12. You should always have access to your digital movie if the studios no longer produce discs. I bought a 'vaulted' Disney movie set with digital copy from eBay and the still new code redeemed in my DMA account even though the movie is vaulted. I can watch it right now if I want, even though you can't even buy the digital copy from Disney anymore. You can watch your digital copies of discontinued movies just as if you had the physical discs. They wouldn't dare change that in the future. Imagine how people would run then...

Now I definitely don't know it all (far from it and wouldn't want the responsibility of knowledge anyway) but that's just off the top of my head! I love, love, LOVE this digital revolution! If I had anymore young children, I'd bring them up learning programming code instead of how to operate a dvd player. Just sayin'...

I'll be adding a few of those newly released titles to my account too! Thanks a mil for the info. Now let's all go make some popcorn because mine blows that movie theater kibble all to bits!!!

=)

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I've nothing against a move to digital in principle.

However, I have a couple of issues.

In the UK at least (not sue about the US) many of us have internet speeds too slow to stream. Even for those with speeds more than fast enough, there's the occasionally stutter and loss of service,

Meanwhile, Amazon (my retailer of choice) only lets me download any film I 'buy' from them on to a Kindle Fire, which can hold maybe 2 HD films at once.

So firstly, I need to be able to download and keep. You know what would work for me? A Fire TV box with a built in 1TB HDD, to which you can download content, a la the Kindle Fire tablet.

Build in a UHD drive and there's a product to behold.

Secondly, the HD films at Amazon are c.8GB each. Give me a download equivalent of a Blu-ray Disc. I'll pay more!

In short, I'd like to own all of my films on physical disc, but I appreciate that some simply won't sell enough to warrant a release. The studios have the films on digital files, but don't want to risk pressing several thousand copies which may not sell. That means it's download or nothing, and I'm not a big fan of nothing. But I need to be able to download & keep, and I'd like a little less compression.

Steve W

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks