1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    A shame...unless Fox saved us the disappointment of two really bad transfers.
    Some of those don't have anything better, so we'll be stuck with those until Fox goes through the effort and expense of remastering those--in other words, they should have held off on those to begin with. However, I bet at least half of those could easily be updated to anamorphic WS transfers if the FCA had half a mind to locate the correct video masters. That goes for some of the bottom-barrel pre-widescreen transfers we've gotten as well. But I also have serious doubts that they will ever be revisited by the FCA.

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Well-Known Member

Just scanned my copy of Beneath The 12 Mile Reef which came in today's mail. All I can say is ... Wow! Gorgeous anamorphic transfer (though the back of the jacket erroneously says 4x3 letterbox) with a nice clean stereophonic soundtrack! For fans of this film, it's a dream finally come true after all those hideous public domain P&S transfers.

3. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Well-Known Member

Looks gorgeous !! The sounds and score is wonderful. I hope TT gets to release the Blu ray.

4. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Well-Known Member

Mark
    I want to thank FOX and everyone here. I read what people stated and bought Reef and it looks fantastic!!! I have never purchased MODs from Fox before but now look forward to the next release. Just as I do the Twilight Time releases which are always the best.

5. John Hermes

John Hermes Well-Known Member

John Hermes
    I thought I got my copy of Reef from Importcds yesterday but inside the envelope was the wrong movie. Grrrrr...

6. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Importcds is still showing my order for 12 Mile Reef as OPEN.
    It's starting to look as if January 28th might be the actual release date. Grrrr...Amazon early... Grrrr

I guess that's what happens when you try to save a few bucks. Grrr....

Doug.

7. kingfish

kingfish Well-Known Member

8. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    Looks like there are three new Fox Archive films available through Amazon.com, including the one posted above. The release date is... today!

The Glory Brigade (1953), In Love and War (1958), and Island In The Sky (1938)

Note that both Movies Unlimited and Amazon list In Love and War as a Fullscreen (read P&S) film even though there's a widescreen clip of it on Youtube. Let's pray this is a listing mistake and not a sign of the Fox Archives falling back to its usual terrible ways.

Edit: Just noticed this gem from the description of In Love and War on Amazon which succinctly describes the mentality of the average FCA release.
    It's starting to look like 12 Mile Reef was a fluke after all.

9. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    I'll wait and see, for Beneath The 12 Mile Reef was first listed as Pan-Scan and does so in the specifications listed on the DVD case.

10. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Well-Known Member

Keeping my fingers crossed for IN LOVE AND WAR being a new anamorphic transfer.

11. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Still waiting for 12 mile reef to be shipped from Importcds.
    I pre-paid them through Pay-pal almost a month ago.

Fast losing patience. :angry:

12. Thomas T

Thomas T Well-Known Member

Actually, it's not. The specifications on the Reef DVD case say "4x3 letterbox" which is not P&S but non anamorphic wide screen.

13. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    I'll go with that, but still wrong information.

14. Robin9

Robin9 Well-Known Member

Robin
    A few weeks ago I watched the Spanish non-anamorphic DVD. I'd love an anamorphic transfer!

15. wesaussie

wesaussie Active Member

Wes Anderson
    Tonight I had a real treat I watched my copy of Beneath The 12 Mile Reef. It is glorious. Presented in the proper aspect ratio and with stereo sound. It may well have had work done to it as the picture was pristine with no scratches or negative marks and all cue marks have been removed. It took me back to those great years when Fox produced all those wonderful cinemascope films. My congratulations to Fox for such a wonderful release. I hope they continue the good work and redo some of their earlier pan and scan disasters with new masters to match this one. This is what the archives is all about and I look forward to some new cinemascope releases to match the quality of this one.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Has anybody bought any of these new releases? I ordered The Glory Brigade, I should have it in a few days.

17. williampl7@aol.com

williampl7@aol.com Well-Known Member

18. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Well-Known Member

I asked this on another thread, but this seems like a good place to bring up the subject. What would it take to get Fox to release the "My Friend Flicka" TV series (39 eps.), one of the very first to be filmed in color, and the first by a major studio, in a box set?

19. lionel59

lionel59 Well-Known Member

Michael Robert Lionel Evans
    I recently received 2 FCA titles : BATTLE OF BROADWAY- not a great transfer, but watchable. Dark print.
    THE MEANEST MAN IN THE WORLD- Excellent transfer.
    Both have good but unremarkable mono soundtracks.No problems understanding
    the snappy dialogue in both movies.

20. lionel59

lionel59 Well-Known Member

Michael Robert Lionel Evans
    Two new Academy ratio movies announced by FCA. FIVE FINGERS- an excellent movie- has been released in other regions as a pressed disc and was also out on Laserdisc. Let's hope this leads to the release of the rare Mankiewicz Fox title ESCAPE with Rex Harrison and Peggy Cummins. It has never had a VHS, LD or DVD release.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]