What's new

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES (2 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
moviefanatic1979 said:
I watched the Archives release of Lure of the Wilderness (1952) this evening.

I wish someone else on this forum could watch it. I'd like to know if they'd agree with me.

Sincerely,

Even B, Norway
My copy should arrive this weekend and I'll post my thoughts. I'm a fan of the original version (Renoir's Swamp Water) and I'm interested to see what Negulesco did with it. Curiously enough, Walter Brennan plays the same part in Lure that he did in Swamp.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I watched Lure and thought it look ok . Not great . But ok . I also watched Swamp Water recently ,from Twilight . Lure seems to be pretty much the same movie with different actors . I enjoyed both versions . Didn't compare scene for scene , but both seemed to have all the same scenes . I liked the 40s version better .

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
LURE is indeed a remake, pretty much scene-by-scene. The Fox disc is OK, about on the level of WAY OF A GAUCHO, another Technicolor Fox that came out in 1952. SWAMP WATER, movie and TT Blu-ray, are better.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Did not realize LURE is a remake of SWAMP WATER. Hollywood was "ahead of its time" when it came to recycling. I'm wondering what has happened to the MOD releases of HARD CONTRACT and KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES. The news that some CinemaScope titles such as THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE may be remastered in Wide Screen is very encouraging. Fox is finally listening to its customers.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
While the Fox MOD programme has misfired they are putting out some good blu-ray titles (at least in Europe). This discussion confirms my belief that the major studios see the future as MOD and streaming. I am more convinced that we won't see a big increase in the number of catalogue titles being released until MOD is available for blu-ray.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
King of the khyber Rifles is still coming, but Hard Contract seems to have fallen of the radar.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
borisfw said:
Too bad about Hard Contract . I wanted that one .
Perhaps they are waiting on a superior master to be created, given their recent change of attitude on the MOD program.
By the way, has anyone seen the MOD of The Fighting Lady yet? It'd be nice to see that public domain title get a decent release.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just finished Lure Of The Wilderness and it looks pretty good. Clarity is good and colors are, for the most part, nicely rendered. I'm pleased.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Movies Unlimited has two new "scope" titles from the Fox Archives on pre-order for August 6th.

Hilda Crane (1956) with Jean Simmons is listed as wide screen but alas, Mardi Gras (1958) is listed as full screen.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
5 New Fox MODs announced today for July 23rd:
HILDA CRANE, an excellent drama with a terrific Jean Simmons performance,
MARDI GRAS (a Pat Boone musical) and
ROMANCE OF THE RIO GRANDE with Cesar Romero.
A FLEA IN HER EAR (Period comedy with Rex Harrison and Rachel Roberts)
STAIRCASE (Rex Harrison and Richard Burton)
According to ClassicFlix HILDA is 'Full Screen' but MOVIES UNLIMITED lists it as being in Widescreen. FMC plays a very nice CinemaScope transfer so let's hope this is the one they're going with. MARDI GRAS is listed as 'Full Screen' on both websites (although the cover poster art misleadlingly carries the CinemaScope logo.It has only been broadcast Panned + Scanned on the FMC.) RIO GRANDE is an Academy ratio movie from 1941.
A FLEA IN HER EAR was shot in 2.35:1 Panavision but it is listed as 'Full Screen'. STAIRCASE is cited as being a Widescreen release at SAE and Movies Unlimited.
I don't know what's happened to titles like KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES and HARD CONTRACT, announced some time ago, but the release dates have come and gone. There is an upcoming UK release of KHYBER RIFLES, but no details yet as to it's ratio and soundtrack. (The Spanish release is in stereo, the Australian release is in mono).

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Since the elements of "April Love" didn't make the grade for a Twilight Time release, might Fox offload the title in their MOD series? Just a thought, seeing as we've now got "Mardi Gras" on the horizon.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I've been mostly avoiding these lately, but had to watch The Road To Glory. As usual it leaves a bit to be desired. Being sourced from an NTA print is already a bad sign, however despite this it actually looks fairly decent. Some noise, softness, chopped off cast credits but otherwise very good as NTA sourced transfers go
classicmovieguy said:
Since the elements of "April Love" didn't make the grade for a Twilight Time release, might Fox offload the title in their MOD series? Just a thought, seeing as we've now got "Mardi Gras" on the horizon.
If it's anything like the upcoming Mardi Gras release (FS, P&S) I'd rather they just didn't release it until they decide to put some effort into something better than a 30 year old transfer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ahollis said:
Well after all the talk that Fox might have gotten the news about pan-scan releases, we are disappointed again.
Exactly! Seems like Fox has learned nothing from past mistakes. Disappointing and infuriating.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
The anamorphic masters may still be "in the pipeline". These ones might have been set up before they began talking about improving things. I am hopeful that HILDA CRANE will be 16:9.
Re APRIL LOVE: I hope they have a 2.35:1 master. I think they should consider restoring it themselves and doing a Blu Ray double feature with the earlier version- HOME IN INDIANA.
One thing's for sure- whatever current state the available elements are in, they won't be too poor for a Cinema Archives release....

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Amazon has the following films released this week -

Romance of the Rio Grande (1941)
A Walk with Love and Death (1969)
The Salzburg Connection (1972)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks