What's new

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm not the least bit surprised by these bits of information, but I can't help feeling utterly disappointed nonetheless.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Lromero1396 said:
Thomas, I just might do that. And if it is being prepped for a TT release, that master must be lurking somewhere where the Fox MOD team never bothers looking. If it even exists yet. Brent, are you able to confirm it is P&S based on your own viewing of the disc?
There is a disclaimer before 23 Paces to Baker street stating that the film has been altered to fit your screen .

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
borisfw said:
There is a disclaimer before 23 Paces to Baker street stating that the film has been altered to fit your screen .
I was referring to "Say One for Me". You were clear that 23 Paces was P&S.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Thanks to the above HTF contributors for the above reports. Not at all surprising considering the dismal precedent Fox have set. I highly recommend the superb, anamorphic Australian transfers of NIGHT PEOPLE and 23 PACES TO BAKER STREET. (There is pathetic irony in the fact that FMC broadcasts both of these movies in LBX, not P/S) I have yet to receive my copy of OH MEN! OH WOMEN! but will report on it when it arrives. According to deepdiscount they don't as yet have it in stock to ship (which is disappointing). Germany have released an anamorphic transfer of ESTHER AND THE KING and France have released a LBX transfer of THE REVOLT OF MAMIE STOVER. Germany also have released superb 4:3 transfers of THE MUDLARK and NO HIGHWAY IN THE SKY. I believe a multi-regional dvd player for the lover of classic movies is a 'must'. Germany have also released a very good anamorphic transfer of THE LEFT HAND OF GOD, which may be cheaper than the TT version. The Italian release of FROM HELL TO TEXAS is anamorphic and excellent. I think I have read somewhere that the MOD version is LBX. Also, there is an anamorphic German release of THE VISIT and a good LBX release of KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES in Australia. The Aussie releases are quite inexpensive. Beware the Fox CinemaScope westerns released in Australia by 'EL PASO PICTURES'. They are all panned-and-scanned. A pity re SAY ONE FOR ME. Frank Tashlin usually used the CinemaScope frame very effectively (egs. WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER, THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT). If the studio release is no better than the cable version, Fox are unwittingly encouraging people to make their own bootleg copies and stick with them. Most collectors would prefer a purchased edition of a favourite movie to a home-made recording, however the whole point of buying the latter is to get an improved print in its correct aspect ratio in 16:9. Warner Archive offers this and does well by it.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The last time i saw Tender is the Night of the Fox Movie Channel was about a month ago and it looked great in Letter Box. I should be receiving it in about 2 days along with Marriage Go Round. I will report on both

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Thanks, Mark. I'm particularly interested in "Tender is the Night." If it's an anamorphic transfer, I'll buy it. If it's not, I'll live with my copy from the Fox Movie Channel. I see no point in selling non-anamorphic transfers of stuff that has aired on cable. I spend far more money that I should at the Warner Archive upgrading titles I already have off of TCM because the transfers are such an improvement over what airs on TCM. But I've yet to buy hardly anything through Fox's MOD program because there's no incentive to do so.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
TENDER IS THE NIGHT JUST CAME IN MY MAIL. PAN AND SCAN IT STATES ON THE BACK OF THE CONTAINER. Thank God i ordered from Amazon so back it goes!!!!!!!!!!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Mark Collins said:
TENDER IS THE NIGHT JUST CAME IN MY MAIL. PAN AND SCAN IT STATES ON THE BACK OF THE CONTAINER. Thank God i ordered from Amazon so back it goes!!!!!!!!!!
There's $19.98 that can now be budgeted toward yet another WAC title. I hope Fox is reading this and taking note.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Mark Collins said:
DELETED

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Marriage Go Round is also going back when the order gets here. I have my own copies of both movies in Letter Box and since there are problems with Marriage Go Round reported by Leon it will go back too. Amazon told me it is back ordered but when I get it give them a call. I told them they should put PAN AND SCAN for format since it clearly states it on the back of TITN. I also told them MGR also has some problems with the print. I love Amazon they have always been good to me on returns. I know people get upset with TT and their prices but this is why I prefer them for movies I really want. I am done with this program. I have read all the complaints and it just is not worth my money and my time sending things back. I also want to point out to people if you really want to take a chance on MOD from Fox order from Amazon because Screen Archives might not be that easy to send things back. Better to use a larger company like the big river.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Mark Collins said:
Marriage Go Round is also going back when the order gets here. I have my own copies of both movies in Letter Box and since there are problems with Marriage Go Round reported by Leon it will go back too. Amazon told me it is back ordered but when I get it give them a call. I told them they should put PAN AND SCAN for format since it clearly states it on the back of TITN. I also told them MGR also has some problems with the print. I love Amazon they have always been good to me on returns. I know people get upset with TT and their prices but this is why I prefer them for movies I really want. I am done with this program. I have read all the complaints and it just is not worth my money and my time sending things back. I also want to point out to people if you really want to take a chance on MOD from Fox order from Amazon because Screen Archives might not be that easy to send things back. Better to use a larger company like the big river.
I was clearing up an issue that another user who had the disc stated. Please read his post as I do not have the disc and have not viewed it.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My issue with Marriage go Round is a white jagged line that appears in the black of the letter box . It shows up in almost all the players I used but one that didn't show any black on the letterbox . I understand that there are tech terms i could be using . But since I don't know them I will just state what I see . I am returning my copy but have a re order on the way set to be delivered tomorrow . If the issue is on that copy also I will let people know .

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Does anyone have Warlock or Clive of India yet? I'd like to hear about them if somebody does.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Not trying to make this more difficult, but sometimes the packaging itself can be in error, regarding things like aspect ratios and running times. Has anyone actually viewed the Fox MOD of TENDER IS THE NIGHT?

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I haven't watched Tender is the Night in its entirety. However, after watching the first five minutes, I can confirm that FCA has released a P&S version of this film-- disappointing, I know. :(

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
lionel59 said:
Germany also have released superb 4:3 transfers of THE MUDLARK
I watched the MOD The Mudlark, and while it's a good transfer and a safe buy, I wouldn't call it superb. It looks like German transfer may be superior in this case, or at the very least as good as this one.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I will have the German dvd of THE MUDLARK soon and will report then. If it is anything like NO HIGHWAY IN THE SKY, it will exceed the MOD going by the above description. The Spanish release of TENDER IS THE NIGHT is in 2.35 :1, non-anamorphic- Letterbox format and looks pretty good. It would HAVE to beat a pan+ scan bastardization of Leon Shamroy's superb CinemaScope cinematography. Jenifer Jones gives a great and under-rated performance in this one.( Sadly, she lived out similar mental illness issues in the '70's after her daughter with Selznick committed suicide). Jason Robards and Joan Fontaine are also very good. Tom Ewell is the only weak link in this cast. He even makes Jill St John look accomplished in comparison.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Justin Ray said:
I haven't watched Tender is the Night in its entirety. However, after watching the first five minutes, I can confirm that FCA has released a P&S version of this film-- disappointing, I know. :(
Wow. This title actually looks pretty good on the Fox Movie Channel, where they run it widescreen. I can't believe that some of their MODs titles are even worse than what they televise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks