What's new

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've never seen The Third Voice and I've always wanted to. I'd preorder a DVD or BRD of that.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I collect Best Picture nominees on DVD and Blu Ray. I only need about 20 more of the 494.

However, most of my favorite Movies WERE'NT nominted (Metropolis, Love Actually, The Phantom TollBooth, Etc), but I do know where you are comming from.

I think I worded that wrong...

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Hi MattH. Yes, the list goes on: SAY ONE FOR ME, SIERRA BARON,HOW TO BE VERY VERY POPULAR, PRINCE OF PLAYERS,CIRCLE OF DECEPTION,GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE (shown in LBX on TCM), THE ADVENTURES OF HAAJI BABA, BERNADINE, MARDI GRAS, ALL HANDS ON DECK, 5 GATES TO HELL.All CinemaScope films which are regularly shown in P/S on the FMC, a compromise I cannot abide. Great or even good cinematography looks like it was shot by a rank amateur or a child. Inexcusable considering how long we have had Wide Screen TVs . I would like to think that someone at Fox is getting the bright idea to do 16:9 HD masters for the future. I was appalled to see PRINCE OF PLAYERS broadcast in HD on Cinemax this year in a Panned and Scanned transfer identical to that which is shown on FMC. Very disappointing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by lionel59 /t/321686/twentieth-century-fox-home-entertainment-debuts-manufacture-on-demand-dvd-series#post_3941053
Hi MattH. Yes, the list goes on: SAY ONE FOR ME, SIERRA BARON,HOW TO BE VERY VERY POPULAR, PRINCE OF PLAYERS,CIRCLE OF DECEPTION,GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE (shown in LBX on TCM), THE ADVENTURES OF HAAJI BABA, BERNADINE, MARDI GRAS, ALL HANDS ON DECK, 5 GATES TO HELL.All CinemaScope films which are regularly shown in P/S on the FMC, a compromise I cannot abide. Great or even good cinematography looks like it was shot by a rank amateur or a child. Inexcusable considering how long we have had Wide Screen TVs . I would like to think that someone at Fox is getting the bright idea to do 16:9 HD masters for the future. I was appalled to see PRINCE OF PLAYERS broadcast in HD on Cinemax this year in a Panned and Scanned transfer identical to that which is shown on FMC. Very disappointing.

I hadn't realized that all these films have also been neglected on FMC! It's really shameful. I wish Fox valued its vault titles more.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
While I embrace Fox moving to an MOD program and certainly hope to see a lot of titles I want released as I am sure many of us do, but let's not forget that Twilight Time has about 100 or so titles tied up that I don't expect will see the light of the MOD program. Those will be the titles that will make good Blu-ray releases such as BERNADINE, APRIL LOVE, GOOD MORNING MISS DOVE and SAY ONE FOR ME and others. While there is a good number of Fox MOD titles only 3 titles are after the change to scope and widescreen so I suspect that the MOD program will focus on the deeper vault titles. We are very lucky in that Fox has an agreement with Twilight Time and also has a relationship with Shout! for that now gives us four outlets for catalog titles.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I hope this line also kickstarts Fox's efforts to remaster their catalog, primarily non-letterboxed material that would have otherwise been picked up by Twilight Time.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by kagemusha98 /t/321686/twentieth-century-fox-home-entertainment-debuts-manufacture-on-demand-dvd-series#post_3941523
Will NIGHT PEOPLE be "full screen"?...It was a Cinemascope film!

I may be missing something, but I do not see NIGHT PEOPLE on the list.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'd like to see Fox release TALES OF MANHATTAN, along with the deleted W.C. Fields segment.

---------------

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I hope they release Goldie (1931). One of the rarest Jean Harlow films. I was very fortunate to see a very good looking 35mm print at UCLA during it's Harlow fest last year.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I am also keen to see the above Fox titles. Also, a pristine transfer of CENTENNIAL SUMMER with Jeanne Crain would be most welcome. It contains Jerome Kern's last score, an interesting cast (inc Dorothy Gish) and has never been released properly anywhere to my knowledge. Poor bootlegs have been circulating for years.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A review on Amazon's site of the MOD DVD of Fox's FRAULEIN, a 1958 CinemaScope film, confirms that it is indeed P&S. Not an auspicious beginning for their entry into the MOD arena.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Damn, this already puts Fox's MOD below most of its contemporaries. MGM's line has issues with open matte transfers, but a P&S transfer of a Scope film is just absolutely unacceptable. I think the only other MODs to release a P&S'd Scope transfer were a couple from the outstandingly poor "Disney Generations." Fox should have shelved this title until they could do a full Scope transfer.
All I can do is hope this is a fluke and that the vast majority of releases are much better.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I have SUEZ and WAY OF A GAUCHO on hand, but haven't looked at them yet. OAR won't be a problem but agreed that P/S transfers is a poor way to start a MOD.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine sent me the following about Fraulein with permission to post to HTF. All I can say is... Fox is out of its mind. The only people who are going to want to buy a title like Fraulein are film buffs, i.e., the ones who are sticklers for correct aspect ratio. A full-screen presentation of a Cinemascope film is a non-starter. By doing it quick and easy and cheaply, they're cutting off their noses to spite their faces, as they are simply not going to make sales by offering substandard product. I wish the Warner Archive Collection were in charge of the MGM and Fox MOD programs. But..Not.Going.To.Happen.
Here's what my friend wrote:
Thought I would give one of these Fox MOD things a go. I ordered FRAULEIN cos I've never seen it and it sounds kinda interesting.
All the Cinemascope titles listed are noted as being full screen but silly me, I thought surely this cannot be the case.
Well lo and behold FRAULEIN is "full Screen" and from a quick glimpse a pretty bad transfer too; very grainy, full of imperfections.
The DVD does have a disclaimer that this film has been adapted to fit your TV screen, nothing about best source material available or anything.
The packaging is pretty good but if Fox are going to issue ALL their Cinemascope titles in this horrid format I for one am going to stay clear!
Even the MGM/UA things that were made in Cinemascope have been issued that way.
I love black & white scope and would have purchased THREE BRAVE MEN and INTENT TO KILL because of this,but as full screen.......no way!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And by full screen, I'm assuming we're talking 4:3 which, of course, is not full screen in the widescreen HDTV age.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thomas T said:
A review on Amazon's site of the MOD DVD of Fox's FRAULEIN, a 1958 CinemaScope film, confirms that it is indeed P&S. Not an auspicious beginning for their entry into the MOD arena.
Fox should be ashamed of themselves. I'm disappointed and annoyed. I really wanted this movie but now . . . . .

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Robin9 said:
Fox should be ashamed of themselves. I'm disappointed and annoyed. I really wanted this movie but now . . . . .
I wanted it too but now I'm passing on it. Though no doubt other HTFers would have objected, I would have even been happy with a non anamorphic 2.35 transfer if that's all they had on hand but P&S on a Scope film in 2012???

Alphonse

Auditioning
Real Name
_
MattH. said:
And by full screen, I'm assuming we're talking 4:3 which, of course, is not full screen in the widescreen HDTV age.
I think so. Better anyway than a real old Pan&Scan picture with terrible 1.33 aspect ratio image.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks