What's new

twelve o'clock high (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm just thankful that a television outlet that I can receive has run the episodes. With diligence, I've gotten up to 71 of the 78 episodes compiled with one full run-through plus. The seven I'm missing include five from Season Two and two from Season Three. Assuming the current scheduling holds through the new year, I could gather the last episode I need on February 4th.

It's entirely possible that Fox perceives the show to be somewhat un-PC with its war themes. Still, if it ever were to go to DVD in a remastered state, I'll grab them up.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
For anyone who cares (and why would anyone?), I now have 76 of 78 episodes of 12 O'CLOCK HIGH that I've recorded off of the MeTV television service. And in early February, I should be able to grab the 77th.

One episode in my recording schedule that I needed recorded but had no sound, so I'll have to wait for the cycle to repeat again, and it might be late March until I can get that one.

For the record, MeTV currently airs the show Sunday night/Monday morning through Friday night/Saturday morning at 4 AM, for a total of 6 per week, so it now only takes 13 weeks to get through them all. The episodes are intact for the most part, with only time-compression reducing the run-time to 46:03.

Harry

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I would love to see this set released to dvd. I am War buff, not because i support war. I like series that talk about our history, especially fighting in wars, floods, etc. It is important to keep history alive!!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Harry-N said:
For anyone who cares (and why would anyone?), I now have 76 of 78 episodes of 12 O'CLOCK HIGH that I've recorded off of the MeTV television service.  And in early February, I should be able to grab the 77th.  
One episode in my recording schedule that I needed recorded but had no sound, so I'll have to wait for the cycle to repeat again, and it might be late March until I can get that one.
For the record, MeTV currently airs the show Sunday night/Monday morning through Friday night/Saturday morning at 4 AM, for a total of 6 per week, so it now only takes 13 weeks to get through them all. The episodes are intact for the most part, with only time-compression reducing the run-time to 46:03.
Harry
I am glad you are able to record the episodes. I would love to see VEI picked up this release as they seem to be one of the distributors that is doing lots of work on the 1950/1960s tv series, especially the obscure shows.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I did indeed manage to grab that final missing episode on March 29th, completing my quest to see this series again after all these years. The prints weren't always A+ grade, but were at least serviceable, and sped-up without any edits.

I was determined not to spend a dime with the bootleggers out there who are selling sets based on some false premise that 12 O'CLOCK HIGH is in public domain. I cannot imagine that being the case. MeTV obviously bought the series from *someone*, so *someone* must own it, likely 20th Century Fox.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Just a notice that MeTV will run the two-part "P.O.W." episodes from season one of 12 O'CLOCK HIGH as part of their Memorial Day salute to servicemen. The schedule is:

07:00 PM M*A*S*H
07:30 PM M*A*S*H
08:00 PM COMBAT!
09:00 PM 12 O'CLOCK HIGH
10:00 PM 12 O'CLOCK HIGH

It's the first time I've ever seen them acknowledge 12 O'CLOCK HIGH in their promos!

http://www.metvnetwork.com/memorialday.php

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
MeTV is typically a digital subchannel of a local station. If DirecTV carries local stations then they might have it. Typically, local network stations will have a digital subchannel that might have a constant weather feed, some have alternate networks not available on main stations, and some affiliate with these retro networks like MeTV, Antenna TV and RTV.

I'm not a satellite subscriber, so I really don't know. My sense is that the satellite providers are limited in their bandwidth and don't have room for digital subchannels. You can check your area on the MeTV map and see if there's an over the air affiliate nearby and hook up an antenna to receive it, but since MeTV only reaches between 60 and 70% of the country, there are obvious holes in that approach.

I'm lucky enough to live in between two markets that BOTH have MeTV (Orlando and Tampa). If I could send you one, I would!

Harry

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Harry-N said:
MeTV is typically a digital subchannel of a local station.  If DirecTV carries local stations then they might have it.  Typically, local network stations will have a digital subchannel that might have a constant weather feed, some have alternate networks not available on main stations, and some affiliate with these retro networks like MeTV, Antenna TV and RTV.  
I'm not a satellite subscriber, so I really don't know.  My sense is that the satellite providers are limited in their bandwidth and don't have room for digital subchannels. You can check your area on the MeTV map and see if there's an over the air affiliate nearby and hook up an antenna to receive it, but since MeTV only reaches between 60 and 70% of the country, there are obvious holes in that approach.
I'm lucky enough to live in between two markets that BOTH have MeTV (Orlando and Tampa).  If I could send you one, I would!
Harry
If a local station is carrying MeTV,AntennaTV,RTV on a station's prime (X.1) channel, then it's on DirecTV and Dish, other than that, you have to pick it up off-the-air with a Digital Converter Box and an antenna!

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Harry-N said:
I did indeed manage to grab that final missing episode on March 29th, completing my quest to see this series again after all these years.  The prints weren't always A+ grade, but were at least serviceable, and sped-up without any edits.
I was determined not to spend a dime with the bootleggers out there who are selling sets based on some false premise that 12 O'CLOCK HIGH is in public domain.  I cannot imagine that being the case. MeTV obviously bought the series from *someone*, so *someone* must own it, likely 20th Century Fox.
Harry
Well done, Harry. Have to be aware of those shifty bootleggers :rolleyes: From what I've seen of Twelve O'Clock High, it looks like a marvelous series. We got it here on cable in Australia also but didn't manage to see the whole series unfortunately. It looks like we got a similar run time here albeit a couple of minutes longer in PAL standard time.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by DeWilson /t/308950/twelve-oclock-high#post_3929232
If a local station is carrying MeTV,AntennaTV,RTV on a station's prime (X.1) channel, then it's on DirecTV and Dish, other than that, you have to pick it up off-the-air with a Digital Converter Box and an antenna!

Well, if you have a modern digital TV, you don't need a converter box - but yes, you do need an antenna. In fact, if you're close enough to the transmitter, a paper-clip antenna might do!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Roy Wall /t/308950/twelve-oclock-high#post_3928952
Harry....do you know if DIRECTV carries MeTV???
In the New York metro area DirecTV is carrying MeTV on Channel 43, WSAH in New London, Connecticut. The MeTV programming is from 2:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m., and 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Harry,
Thanks for the updates here with the sub-channels and "12 O'Clock High". I'd love to see an official release of this one.
DirecTV: They do sell an "add-on" box that works with most of their Receivers. It's called an "AM21" box. It will allow DTV subscribers to integrate their local OTA sta's (along with the available sub-channels*) into the regular DTV menu for viewing and recording purposes.
* There is one "catch" though. The AM21 box receives their data (menu) from a 3rd-party company "Tribune" (Chicago Tribume, etc) so if a certain sub-channel isn't included in their database, you won't be able to receive that sta with the AM21 box.
Also, the AM21 doesn't "scan" for local sub-channels, like our HDTV's will (most of them will "scan" for an available local channels in your area and add them into your TV's menu, depending on the incoming sig strength).
If I recall, DirecTV only had 1 HD Receiver model that had an OTA tuner built into the Receiver. That receiver model was the "H/HR20" Receivers.
And you're right about the bandwidth constraints regarding the sub-channels. I'd love to have seen a couple of these sub-channels get uplinked to CONUS (continental US coverage) transponders but those 'ponders up there are at a premium.
Hopefully, DTV will consider uplinking a couple of the more-recognized "retro" sub's when their next satellite is launched and is in service. That will be the "D14" bird slated for sometime next year.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Just started watching last month. Lansing (Gen Savage) is terrific compared to Burke (Col Gallagher). Other than the bogus reason for releasing Lansing(supposedly youth),the series suffered with the death of John Larkin (Maj General Crowe) during Season 1. The show benefited from the sometime friendly/business relationship between Lansing and Larkin's characters.When Larkin's Crowe unexpectedly disappeared, Lansing's Savage had no one to answer to (on camera) making him a less sympathetic character. The producers may have seen this as a problem along with behind the scene stuff we don't know about. I say this without seeing Season 2 yet, I did see some 3rd season(color) episodes.
Nonetheless I'm enjoying the series with both leads.The Frontiere music later used in The Fugitive 4th Season doesn't hurt either.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Just found a 1965 interview with Robert Lansing on The Mike Douglas Show. Search ROBERT LANSING INTERVIEW on You Tube. Robert was a classy gentleman when talking of his firing from 12 o Clock High.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
About 5 weeks since last post:,I can say this about the Paul Burke episodes (Season 2), they are mostly unwatchable.His presence is lacking compared to Robert Lansing. Depending on the guest star or stories involving other characters I'll watch it (Andrew Duggin and Frank Overton in particular). The replacement of Lansing is a blemish on an otherwise outstanding television career for Quinn Martin.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
While I agree that Paul Burke was not as "commanding" as Robert Lansing, I wouldn't go so far as to classify the episodes unwatchable. As with all Quinn Martin series, the guest stars often dominated the episodes anyway, but casting Paul Burke in the lead was certainly a step down from Robert Lansing's amazing presence. I suspect they chose him to provide a little continuity, since the Joe Gallagher character had been around a few times in the first season.

Harry

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It would be nice to see this series released on dvd, especially when Combat or Gallant Men, etc have come out. I am not big fan of War, but i do like history as way to understand why conflicts happen.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Harry-N said:
While I agree that Paul Burke was not as "commanding" as Robert Lansing, I wouldn't go so far as to classify the episodes unwatchable. As with all Quinn Martin series, the guest stars often dominated the episodes anyway, but casting Paul Burke in the lead was certainly a step down from Robert Lansing's amazing presence. I suspect they chose him to provide a little continuity, since the Joe Gallagher character had been around a few times in the first season.
Harry
Harry,I guess the word unwatchable was too strong since I'm still checking out the series. I just didn't feel compelled to watch each episode like I did in Season 1. I have seen some decent episodes in Season 2 .I agree the guest stars are very strong compared to "Joe Gallagher". I also agree with Paul a DVD release would be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks