What's new

twelve o'clock high (1 Viewer)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
"Twelve O'Clock High" is a property of Fox unlike "The Fugitive" (CBS/Paramount).

Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinn_Martin

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
As I recall, the episodes aired on the American Life Network a while back looked nice. Someone like Shout should try to license it out (It would certainly look better than Room 222 did).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The show is airing now on the national feed of Me-TV, complete and uncut for the first time in over 30 years. Any station that aired the show in the last 3 decade was given pre-cut tape that came in at 46:30. Apparently Fox went back and remastered the show, complete and not time sped.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
FOX is not really interesting in releasing vintage series on DVD: see the failure of "The Big Valley" after a season and a half and the long gap between VOYAGE sets.
The only vintage WWII series they used to offer was "The Rat Patrol".

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JohnHopper
FOX is not really interesting in releasing vintage series on DVD: see the failure of "The Big Valley" after a season and a half and the long gap between VOYAGE sets.
The only vintage WWII series they used to offer was "The Rat Patrol".
Except, Fox didn't offer it. It's an MGM show and the first season came out when Sony was distributing MGM and then the second season when Fox struck a deal to distribute MGM. If it was a Fox show, I guarantee it would still be sitting on the shelf.

Originally Posted by LeoAmes
As I recall, the episodes aired on the American Life Network a while back looked nice. Someone like Shout should try to license it out (It would certainly look better than Room 222 did).
The History Channel also aired the entire series several years ago.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've recently been able to re-unite with this series as an Orlando affiliate of MeTV signed on a week ago. Unfortunately, reception of this affiliate is a bit problematic, but in this digital TV age, when it DOES come in, it's pretty darned good-looking.

In the past week, I've captured four episodes, all from the latter color-episode half-season. I've garnered from their online schedule that after one more color episode tonight, they'll be reverting back to the first season to start the series all over again. They're not airing in strict airdate order, but are close enough that it won't be too much of a problem to re-assemble them in order, assuming I remain fortunate with the reception problems.

I was quite impressed with the way the show looked from these episodes so far. The color looks crisp and clear, and though it's not a high-def signal, even the blocky compression doesn't look too bad on this show. I beg to differ with Neil Brock above - the show is slightly time-sped with run-times coming in at around 46:30, but the pitch of voices is not raised at least. Some of the dialog moves along a bit too quickly, but I'm happy just to be able to see the show again after all these years.

The four episodes I've captured all had the "In Color" bumper at the start, and one even had a "12 o'clock HIGH, brought to you by..." bumper at the end just before the 20th Century Fox logo, and all of the credits are being run in full. It's great to see a station/network treat shows with respect.

ef8ed1c0_12color.JPG

The opening "In Color" bumper

52b071e5_12frame.JPG

A typical frame with Paul Burke, Andrew Duggan, and Barney Phillips.

a7efc7e3_12brought.JPG

The "brought to you by..." bumper.

I'd buy this series on (legitimate) DVD in a heartbeat, if it were ever to somehow be issued.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Beginning tonight at 2 AM Eastern, 12 O'CLOCK HIGH will cycle around again and begin with the Season One episodes on MeTV. The network now seems to be showing them in air-date order, so tonight's episode is "Golden Boy Had Nine Black Sheep", the first episode of the series, that ironically introduces us to both General Frank Savage (Robert Lansing) and later series lead Paul Burke as Joe Gallagher.

On my first run through the series, I managed to collect about 84% of the episodes. On this next run, I'll attempt to capture the 14 or so episodes that I either missed entirely or were problematic in the reception area, Every now and them my digital reception gets wonky and either messes up part of the episode, or even switch my tuner to the main channel instead of the subchannel that MeTV is on.

Harry

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
It's not fair that Fox has no problem occasionally giving out their older, pre-Murdoch era shows to cable stations (uncut or cut forms), but they have a problem with that when it comes to putting them out on DVD.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Since Fox put my Holy Grail TV show out on DVD (THE TIME TUNNEL) -- and they did a fabulous job on it to boot -- I, personally, have no complaints. Getting 12 O'CLOCK HIGH on a properly mastered DVD set would be welcome, but I can learn to live with syndicated episodes. I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I'm still thankful for the two volumes of THE TIME TUNNEL, wonderfully mastered, with pertinent and welcomed extras, that they put out in 2006.

Harry

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
What happened with the show, as well as others on ME-TV, is that they were running them uncut for about the first 3 or 4 months and then I guess they picked up more affiliates (and sold more commercials) so they then must have gotten in pre-cut versions of shows. But my friend recorded episodes when they started airing that came in at 51 minutes. But, of course nothing good ever lasts for very long so now they are back to the 46:30 ones we've been seeing for the last 25 years.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /t/308950/twelve-oclock-high#post_3867582
What happened with the show, as well as others on ME-TV, is that they were running them uncut for about the first 3 or 4 months and then I guess they picked up more affiliates (and sold more commercials) so they then must have gotten in pre-cut versions of shows. But my friend recorded episodes when they started airing that came in at 51 minutes. But, of course nothing good ever lasts for very long so now they are back to the 46:30 ones we've been seeing for the last 25 years.
The episodes are still uncut, but the body of the show is time-sped. They run the credits and theme music at normal speed.

The key I think is the "more affiliates" part, as the local stations need to have their own inventory of local avails to sell or use as promos.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Just a note to anyone who's paying attention to the 12 O'CLOCK HIGH run on MeTV: The schedule is changing as of today. It appears that the series is moving to 4 AM instead of 2 AM weeknights (ET). In addition, there's an extra episode now scheduled on Sunday night/Monday morning at the same 4 AM (ET).

Harry

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i tweeted to fox home entertainment about the series on dvd. hoping they will get back to me.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Don't be surprised if they don't. Remember, this is Fox we're talking about here, the stingiest of the six major TV production companies. This is the same Fox that licensed out Burke's Law to VCI, and, despite the first two volumes (season 1 of 3) being a strong seller, Fox, FOR SOME REASON, STILL ISN'T SATISIFIED!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
kingfish said:
i tweeted to fox home entertainment about the series on dvd. hoping they will get back to me.
Good luck with that. Let us know how that works out for you. :rolleyes:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would really love to see this series on DVD but there is a less than 1% chance of Fox ever releasing it. The only real hope is if they license it to someone like Shout, MPI or VCI but they seldom do that and they would more than likely want more money than anyone could afford and still make a profit.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Hell, even if it wasn't for the rights issues, I still think they would be too lazy to license out or release Batman, The Green Hornet, and The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis themselves.
I think the only reason Fox is the worst studio to represent classic TV is due to the current state of their home video division. Whoever is currently running it obviously must have failed economics 101. How those people are still employed is beyond me. They should be fired and blacklisted from the industry this instant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks