What's new

TV won't turn on....bad power supply? (1 Viewer)

Vin

Supporting Actor
My kitchen TV (20" Panasonic) seems to have died after only two and a half years. It was fine yesterday morning but when my wife got home from work she tried to turn it on and got nothing.

Does this sound like a power supply problem and if so how much would it cost to have it repaired? The set was only $190 new so it's probably not worth it. Having no idea how much it would cost to repair I thought I would ask here before calling any repair shops.....anyone know?

Thanks,
Vin

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If there's no audio either, I'd say the power supply failed. At that pricepoint it makes more sense just to replace the unit (though it should have lasted longer than two years).

Vin

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jack, that's what I thought, and I agree, two and half years is pretty pitiful. The funny thing is, I have another 20" Panasonic in the bedroom that's 7 years old and still going strong......go figure.

Thanks again,
Vin

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If you are comfortable with doing the following, and if the unit is no longer under warranty then....

unplug the unit and let it sit for 5 minutes. Open up the TV. Find the electrical cord and follow the path as it enters the TV. At some point, there is probably an in-line fuse. Remove the fuse and check it's resistance with an electrical meter (ohm meter). It should be close to zero ohms. If not, replace the fuse with one that is the same rating in amps.

That is a starting point.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
.. but be aware that some areas around the back of the tube can remain energized with high voltage for a very long time after being unplugged. Proceed with caution if you open it up to check a fuse. Remove rings and watches, and keep one hand clear at all times.

Chances are the problem is a bad flyback transformer... and that's not something the inexperienced would want to mess with.

-Scott

Vin

Supporting Actor
.. but be aware that some areas around the back of the tube can remain energized with high voltage for a very long time after being unplugged.
Thanks guys....although I do plan on getting lit up for the holiday weekend, I think I'll play it safe and replace the set! :)

Vin

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Are you going to keep the set anyway. Sounds like a nice little project for you.

Vin

Supporting Actor
I'll probably take a crack at it, what's the worst that can happen....maybe I'll wind up with hair like Clay Aiken's! ;)

While shopping online for a replacement set it seems that the Panasonic model I have (and apparently it's successor/s) is notorious for this problem, based on some of the reviews that I read (at CC). I guess I should have done better research before buying it but my purchase was based on the performance and reliability of my bedroom set (also a Panasonic) that I mentioned earlier.

Anyway, there are many 20" (stereo) sets in the

fixiturself

Auditioning
Real Name
tony
well we need more info than what you provided. are there any lights blinking? if not then it probably is power supply or fuse. if the screen is black and theres lights blinking, then its possibly your capacitors. check out: for fix for under $25

Addiskrilla

Auditioning
Real Name
Terrance Addison
should it be less than 0 ohms or more than 0 ohms? and where is the in-line fuse?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks