Rawhide
Hondo
Lancer
Colt 45

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
My wish list for full-season, general (not Columbia House or public domain) commercial release:

The High Chaparral
Bonanza
The Wild Wild West
The Virginian
Laredo
Gunsmoke

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
I wish the copyright holders of these westerns would realize the money they could make, by releasing these.

Ones who grew up watching these might want to show their kids these westerns.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I've gotten the first two seasons of Have Gun Will Travel, and this was one really incredible Western series that pretty much reset the bar for quality drama in a Western format. The lead character of Paladin (played by Richard Boone) is extremely multifaceted for a gunslinger of the time: a West Point graduate, literate, skilled in the arts of literature, religion, chemistry, and chess, a man you can trust one minute and fear the next, with a streak of nobility and a code of honor in his heart for upholding what's right for the good of the common man. I'm looking forward to the remaining four seasons when they're released.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The Maverick episode that aired on TV Land the other day was a parody of Gunsmoke, but they took a little swipe at Paladin as well.

"We sure are getting some weird characters through here, Doc. Remember that gunslinger the other day who was handing out business cards?" :)

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Ever watch the time traveling, Outlaws?

I never did see the pilot, but I liked the series.

I would buy the Outlaws on DVD.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The late 1950s / early 1960s was a great period for TV westerns, and I'm 36. But I discovered these and other genres of classic series in 1980s cable TV reruns as well as VHS tape trading.

One of the more interesting but overlooked shows from that period that I'm surprised nobody mentioned was The Deputy. This one is already available in public domain releases (unfortunately). I haven't purchased any of those few episodes available, only because they are always bunched together with other westerns. Anyone know the quality of the film prints on this one?

The Deputy lasted 2 years and starred veteran film actor Henry Fonda in his first TV series as Marshal Simon Fry and Allan Case as his deputy, a storekeeper named Clay McCord who abhors violences and chooses to not use a gun as often as possible. Fonda also narrated all 78 episodes, but he didn't appear in all of them to give him time to keep making movies. The working relationship between Fry and Clay didn't hurt, but what made this series stand out was that The Deputy was the first western to borrow from the private detective and cop shows by frequently using a unique-sounding jazz score. The black & white series, with the arrangement of its classy theme song from the first episode onward in 1959 was the prototype for the high quality music of many shows to come from the first half of the 1960s. The drawing of a man holding a rifle as the writer / director / producer credits role at the start of the first act reminds me of a similar visual part of the drawings seen at the Act 1 credits of The High Chapparal series from years later.

A few years ago TV Land was airing this series 5 days a week for more than a month....but they were the same 10 episodes which I'm guessing is all they have!! At least their film prints were in excellent condition.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

The good news is that there has been enough demand for the show for Columbia House to issue the entire series on VHS, so I'm optimistic that the entire series will get released on DVD.

Duane Alford

Second Unit

It was one day shy of a full year betwwen releases. I'm hoping it's not going to take 6 years to get the whole series on DVD. I'm hoping some day to see The Big Valley and Alias Smith & Jones on DVD. I know there's been box sets of The Rifleman but whoever owns that doesn't realize that people are more interested in season sets. The day they decide to release season sets, I'll be buying. Until then, I'll pass.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

As far as I know, there are only two episodes of "The Deputy" available on public domain releases. "The Deputy" is available on TV Westerns compilations from Platinum Disc Corporation and Diamond Entertainment and, possibly, Goodtimes and Brentwood. I have both the Platinum and Diamond releases and they're not bad, but Platinum's logo appears in the bottom right corner from time-to-time. The good news on both of these PD episodes is that Henry Fonda is in both of them. Typically, the other Westerns included in these compilations might include public domain episodes of Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Death Valley Days, The Rifleman, The Lone Ranger, Sugarfoot, etc. Other than the two PD episodes of "The Deputy," I haven't seen it commercially available anywhere.

Eli R

Auditioning
Definitely "How the West was Won". Another one I don't think anyone mentioned from the 1980's on CBS was "Paradise," later called "Guns of Paradies," starring Lee Horsley as an ex-gunfighter.

I can't imagine why a good show "Big Valley" wouldn't be released someday considering all of the crap shows that are seemingly being released almost daily.

One great Western that's available on DVD now is "Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years". "Lonesome Dove: The Series" was the first year and it was okay at times but the Outlaw Years was very dark and violent. Eric McCormack from Will and Grace played a great villain on it.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Copyright holders might be a problem.

1, Steve...O, mentioned something about that with the Roy Roger's Show further up here.

2, I read something about, Borax, does not want to release Death Valley Days.

These copyright holders could make a mint. There seems to be a want for these shows by people who watched them as children.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Interesting. I didn't realize sponsors had that much control. Evidently they must have gotten ownership rights at some point.

I can understand that they wouldn't want to deal with it since it doesn't fit into their core business, but they really should look at selling it to an entity who could do something with it. I would imagine the Reagan name alone would sell those episodes he was affiliated with.

Steve

HowardPaul

Stunt Coordinator
Currently engrossed in watching "Have Gun, Will Travel".
My favorite of all the westerns. Richard Boone plays "Paladin", a rather debonair renaissance man and wise gun for hire.
Not just your ordinary hit-man, Paladin can quote Lao Tzu and Shakespeare, knows some kung fu, and has a keen sense of justice---When possible, he tries to solve issues with words rather than with his gun.
The series was filmed in B&W whose quality is superb, FAR better than that of Gunsmoke.
3 Seasons are currently availble on DVD.
Here is a decent site: http://www.hgwt.com/

Best
Howard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks